Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

What's Hot
Ok, we've made progress since my last issues. Of course, new issues have surfaced. When playing my guitar through said interface and some amplifier software (Amplitube), all is well when I'm noodling along, but as soon as I hit a few chords with a bit of gusto, my PC is crashing with the message below. I've had a search online but to no avail. (Nothing I can understand anyway!). This is a recent issue, and the only thing that has changed is I'v used a USB extension cable to enable me to put the interface on the other side of the room with my Amp/pedals etc. Could this be the issue? It's a bit of a day out at the races changing it all back so I thought I'd test the water here first. Obviously if this is likely to be the issue I have some re routing of cables to do.
Many thanks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boz_hboz_h Frets: 53
    The First rule of computer support is "what has changed from the time it worked to the time it stopped working" so if the only thing that has changed is the usb extension cable then that's the first place to start.  I have had weird issues in the past where large files caused a PC to crash, turned out to be the network cable so it is certainly possible.  If it's a major hassle get a new extension cable and swap it out. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Not all usb cables are created equal, I always try to use the original cable that came with my gear. You're better off using a long guitar cable to get the interface to reach your amp and pedals. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Branshen said:
    Not all usb cables are created equal, I always try to use the original cable that came with my gear. You're better off using a long guitar cable to get the interface to reach your amp and pedals. 

This
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I'm not sure 'normal' (ie., made on the cheap) USB cables are that reliable over longer distances. 

+1 for short USB cable between audio interface and computer, with a long standard guitar lead into it - just like an amp onstage.
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    I suspected as much. I've got a spare hour this afternoon so will bring it back to the PC with its original cable and see what happens. It will just mean running two long instrument cables out for my monitors, instead of a long USB. Will report back.
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    edited December 2019
    Cheers all. After some exhaustive tests this morning, the conclusion is.... The poxy USB extension is causing the issues. I have now re-located the interface back next to the PC using only the manufacturers usb lead. I now have some jiggery pokery to do in the man cave to get 2 x instrument leads across the room (Wifey says they've got to be hidden), back to the Audio amp feeding the monitors. Trunking is my friend here I think.