Telecaster or Firebird bridge pickup?

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3838
edited December 2019 in Making & Modding
Planning a partscaster and am sold on putting a (proper) Firebird-style neck pickup in it, having tried a Lollar on a Novo in Coda. But what to pair it with? Do I take a chance with a Firebird bridge pickup, having never played (a proper) one? Or should I opt for a tried and tested Tele bridge pup, which I hear pairs nicely? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Lebarque said:
    Planning a partscaster and am sold on putting a (proper) Firebird-style neck pickup in it, having tried a Lollar on a Novo in Coda. But what to pair it with? Do I take a chance with a Firebird bridge pickup, having never played (a proper) one? Or should I opt for a tried and tested Tele bridge pup, which I hear pairs nicely? 

I've been thinking about building a Partscaster with similiarish pickup specs myself and I've been leaning towards a Tele bridge as there's more variation for different specs.

For a FB, most options are AWG42 wire Alnico 5 (or 2) at around 6k output.  With Tele Bridges there are a multitude of different options and higher outputs as well.  There are a few other pickups that fit the FB route though, eg Gold Foil etc.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3005
    I’ve not got any experience of a Firebird bridge pickup but I can tell you a Tele loaded with a Firebird neck pickup and a BKP Boss Tele pickup is a thing of great joy 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9289
    Have you already got a tele? If not, get a tele bridge. If you have, go for a bit of variety
  • It’s probably not the most accurate test, but on the Variax I had the top 3 pickups were: 
    3- Tele bridge
    2- LP Special P90 bridge
    1- firebird bridge

i was surprised as I’ve never really heard one before. It was great. 
    If you want a different sounding bridge, I’m running an Oil City Liquidator in my Telemaster & it’s excellent 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3838
    DrBob said:
    I’ve not got any experience of a Firebird bridge pickup but I can tell you a Tele loaded with a Firebird neck pickup and a BKP Boss Tele pickup is a thing of great joy 
    How do they balance in terms of output and EQ?
    Lebarque said:

I've been thinking about building a Partscaster with similiarish pickup specs myself and I've been leaning towards a Tele bridge as there's more variation for different specs.

For a FB, most options are AWG42 wire Alnico 5 (or 2) at around 6k output.  With Tele Bridges there are a multitude of different options and higher outputs as well.  There are a few other pickups that fit the FB route though, eg Gold Foil etc.
    True, although makes it harder choosing a Tele bridge pup! Will have to try gold foil too.
    edited December 2019
    chris78 said:
    Have you already got a tele? If not, get a tele bridge. If you have, go for a bit of variety
    No I haven't. They're like playing an ironing board! I do like the bridge pup sound though. Fair point though. Telemaster would be my route.
    I wonder whether any of our friendly neighbourhood winders may be able to chip in? @OilCityPickups @Mojopickups @Alegree ;
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10342
    tFB Trader
    Depends what you are after ... a 'proper' Firebird bridge pickup is not as 'strident' in power or treble as a proper Tele bridge pickup ... but of course it is hum cancelling, and had nice chewy mids. Perhaps a slightly overwound bridge Firebird pickup might give you the best of all worlds. They can be taken up to PAF sort of winding levels but still maintain a unique character due to their twin magnets, narrow sensing area, and 'inductance' plate.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MojopickupsMojopickups Frets: 314
    tFB Trader
    As Ash has already said, it's kinda dependant on whether you want single coil or a humbucker, I'd probably say a Firebird in the bridge too.........I no longer sell them so not pushing for work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Depends what you are after ... a 'proper' Firebird bridge pickup is not as 'strident' in power or treble as a proper Tele bridge pickup
    I can vouch for this. I have a pair of OCP Winterizer II 'buckers in a PRS S2 Singlecut. This guitar has a 2V, 2T control layout. I consider this to be essential to get the best out of these pickups.

a slightly overwound bridge Firebird pickup might give you the best of all worlds. They can be taken up to PAF sort of winding levels but still maintain a unique character due to their twin magnets, narrow sensing area, and 'inductance' plate.  
    I fancy a pickup like that. 'Bird but with more oomph.

3- Tele bridge
    2- LP Special P90 bridge
    1- firebird bridge
    4 - overwound Filter'Tron clone.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I've had a firebird pup in the neck position of two guitars now. IMO it sounds stratty but without a mid scoop and is more compressed.
    If you like low wind PAFs with more air it'll do you. But it won't cut like a tele so it's a matter of preference. 
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    Depends what you are after ... a 'proper' Firebird bridge pickup is not as 'strident' in power or treble as a proper Tele bridge pickup ... but of course it is hum cancelling, and had nice chewy mids. Perhaps a slightly overwound bridge Firebird pickup might give you the best of all worlds. They can be taken up to PAF sort of winding levels but still maintain a unique character due to their twin magnets, narrow sensing area, and 'inductance' plate.  
    Interesting re: overwound firebird pickups. By overwinding presumably you would gain mids and lows, increase output and reduce the brightness a bit. FB pickups are the only humbucking ones I've tried which retain most of the percussive twang on the low E string.

How much hotter would you go on the bridge pickup (vintage ones are mostly 7.0 - 7.5K)? By going a bit hotter would we get closer to a P90 vibe?

Thanks in advance!
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2383
    edited January 2020
    Just to chime in - Ash @OilCityPickups wound me a Firebird neck and Tele bridge pair for my parts Tele and they're phenomenal together! The neck is slightly overwound, and I think it's my favourite neck pickup ever. Stunning clarity but still has that humbucker fatness when you dig in, the perfect amalgamation of a Tele neck and a humbucker neck. The Hardman in the bridge has Tele twang but not too much and plenty of balls, and the middle position is sublime.

Whether you decide to go Tele bridge or Firebird bridge, I can' recommend OCP enough.
    Tim
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10342
    tFB Trader
    TJT1979 said:
    Interesting re: overwound firebird pickups. By overwinding presumably you would gain mids and lows, increase output and reduce the brightness a bit. FB pickups are the only humbucking ones I've tried which retain most of the percussive twang on the low E string.

How much hotter would you go on the bridge pickup (vintage ones are mostly 7.0 - 7.5K)? By going a bit hotter would we get closer to a P90 vibe?

Thanks in advance!
    Fatter but not P90 ... still has that narrow sensing area :-)
    timmypix said:
    Just to chime in - Ash @OilCityPickups wound me a Firebird neck and Tele bridge pair for my parts Tele and they're phenomenal together! The neck is slightly overwound, and I think it's my favourite neck pickup ever. Stunning clarity but still has that humbucker fatness when you dig in, the perfect amalgamation of a Tele neck and a humbucker neck. The Hardman in the bridge has Tele twang but not too much and plenty of balls, and the middle position is sublime.

Whether you decide to go Tele bridge or Firebird bridge, I can' recommend OCP enough.
    Thanks for the big up old chap :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    I have an @Alegree bentbucker which is a kind of high output firebird pickup in one of my teles, and IMO it works extremely well as a hum free tele bridge pickup if it is backed off the strings a little bit.
    So +1 for a firebirdish pickup on the bridge.
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    lysander said:
    I have an @Alegree bentbucker which is a kind of high output firebird pickup in one of my teles, and IMO it works extremely well as a hum free tele bridge pickup if it is backed off the strings a little bit.
    So +1 for a firebirdish pickup on the bridge.
    I stumbled across the Bentbucker page recently. How much hotter is it than a vintage Firebird pickup? Or a PAF?
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    You should ping Alex from @Alegree, he’s always very responsive.
    I can’t comment on firebirds as I’ve never played one, but they are much hotter than PAF.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Modern Gibson Firebird small humbuckers are, indeed, vastly overwound. 

Vintage specification Firebird pickups and faithful replicas balance nicely with a mildly overwound Telecaster bridge position single coil pickup.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.