New Camera Day (v1.7.2)

What's Hot
strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3274
edited January 2020 in Off Topic
Lol what's funny is we were only going through John Lewis as a way back to the car park.

Love my FF Canon but struggle with my hand now to use them, especially with L glass attached so I shall sell up Canon now

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12344
    I’m debating whether to downsize my gear too. Got a big trip coming up and am really torn whether to lug my 5D and lenses around for weeks or just take the Sony RX100. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5720
    Very nice, big congratulations on you’re small sizing. 

Seems to be a pretty big exodus of FF Canon going on at the moment 
  • dazzajl said:
    Very nice, big congratulations on you’re small sizing. 

Seems to be a pretty big exodus of FF Canon going on at the moment 
    Tell ya if it wasn't for my dodgy hand no way would I be doing this but couldn't resist at the current price, plus I feel it's for the best.
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited December 2019
    A lot of guys I know, including a few pros have moved to Sony and love them. The output quality is tremendous. I'm too invested in Nikon gear to change just now ( 10 x fast heavy lenses and convertors ). I currently carry a D850, 3 or 4 lenses, and sometimes a tripod up into the hills for my landscape stuff (quite a weight of gear, but worth it for the right light / shot ). I also have a DF which is full frame but very lightweight which I use with primes or a Nikkor 24-120  when I can't be bothered with the full kit.
    A couple of years ago I bought a Fuji X100F on a whim, even though it is a fixed 35mm equivalent lens, it is the most fun I have had with a camera for years. It feels like an old leica ( lots of manual controls ) and will actually fit in a Parka pocket. It definitely has me thinking that smaller is the way to go in the future.
    Have a great time with the new camera !
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5720
    artiebear said:
    A lot of guys I know, including a few pros have moved to Sony and love them. The output quality is tremendous. I'm too invested in Nikon gear to change just now ( 10 x fast heavy lenses and convertors ). I currently carry a D850, 3 or 4 lenses, and sometimes a tripod up into the hills for my landscape stuff (quite a weight of gear, but worth it for the right light / shot ). I also have a DF which is full frame but very lightweight which I use with primes or a Nikkor 24-120  when I can't be bothered with the full kit.
    A couple of years ago I bought a Fuji X100F on a whim, even though it is a fixed 35mm equivalent lens, it is the most fun I have had with a camera for years. It feels like an old leica ( lots of manual controls ) and will actually fit in a Parka pocket. It definitely has me thinking that smaller is the way to go in the future.
    Have a great time with the new camera !
    I’ve just gone from Canon to Fuji for work and Olympus to Fuji for my playtime gear and very happy. 

The change to Sony never appealed because I saw it as too similar. They clearly are at the top of their game at the moment though and the love for Sony gear seems pretty universal 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6138
    Congrats on that impulse buy. :) BTW, there is/was a Sony £100 rebate scheme on that runs until Jan 2020 - maybe you already spotted it?

Another Sony convert here, from a fairly small Canon APS-C setup. I now have an A7ii and an A6000, and like that I can share lenses. The A6000 is a huge bargain these days. (I suspect that if I'd found an A6500, I'd be using that over the A7ii for 90% of trips.)
  • Loving this camera, 50mm 1.8 constantly attached. Love the operation love the menu system great purchase IMO..

Just still scrambling my brain over it being a FF sensor.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    That's a very nice box.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Cool camera .. I would love to see some images when you get around to using it.

My wife uses an old 18.2 megapixels Sony Cybershot which is surprisingly good. She bought it as a small travel camera.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • I love my A7III. I mostly use it for video, and probably wont get another camera until something hits the market that can do super high frame-rates at 4K. The Sony does everything I need until that happens.

Bye!

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6138
    love the menu system
    !!! There's always one weirdo. ;)

Sony only recently listened to the many complaints and added a MyMenu option on 2019 cameras. (Perhaps no firmware update for us using older cameras.)

Enjoy.
  • I've never regretted downsizing from big Canon DSLRs. HNCD

• Nice, enjoy!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Nice!  
  • Very nice! Be interested to see how you get on, I couldn't live with the grip (even of the A7iii) as it was just uncomfortable, but I have really tiny hands - I either like a big round grip or a tiny camera with hardly a grip at all it seems.

Great camera though. Happy ncd! 
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I downsized from full sized Nikon and never looked back. I'm Panasonic M43
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2099
    edited January 2020
    Cool! HNCD
  • Well couldn't be bothered keeping any Canon stuff now and knowing I would only ever want to use the A7 with the 50mm(okay maybe include something wider at a later date).. I decided to trade the Canon stuff in for a RX10mk2.. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How do you find the Sony 50mm? I'm currently using the canon 50mm 1.8 STM and it's a nice enough lens, but I'm struggling to adapt back to the DSLR auto focus (ie not 100 percent accurate as not read from the sensor).

Sony have another piece of kit that's of great interest - the APS-C 70-350mm. Apparently a great lens, and would be fantastic for landscapes and wildlife... 
  • How do you find the Sony 50mm? I'm currently using the canon 50mm 1.8 STM and it's a nice enough lens, but I'm struggling to adapt back to the DSLR auto focus (ie not 100 percent accurate as not read from the sensor).

Sony have another piece of kit that's of great interest - the APS-C 70-350mm. Apparently a great lens, and would be fantastic for landscapes and wildlife... 
    I am finding it superb and I have come from using the 50mm STM on 5d2 and 60d.

Have tested it in all lighting conditions and had no hunting issues and even in low light locks in quick and that is with pre focus turned off.