Weirdest "good" movies you've ever seen

What's Hot

Comments

• cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    Wild Zero. A Japanese B movie but it’s absolutely ridiculous and good fun. The Japanese garage rock band, Guitar Wolf and their obsessive fan attempt to kill Alien Zombies who have invaded the earth. There’s also a transsexual love story , gangsters and Guitar Wolf also play a song or two. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    edited January 2020
    A History of Violence by David Cronenburg.
    Synechdoche, New York is genius. Way better than the film that inspired it, which seems to be 8 1/2 by Federico Fellini. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    • Diva (1981). Haven't seen it since the 80's. Would like to watch it again, but not sure how it has aged.
    • Does Westworld (1973) starring Yul Brynner count?
    • Twelve Monkeys (1995)
    • A Clockwork Orange (1971)
    • Troll Hunter (2010)
    • And if the OP could extend to television for one moment, I'd nominate Dirk Gently, a 4-part BBC miniseries (one episode in 2010 & remainder in 2012) starring Stephen Mangan (he of Green Wing fame).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    fandango said:
    • Diva (1981). Haven't seen it since the 80's. Would like to watch it again, but not sure how it has aged.
    • Twelve Monkeys (1995)
    • Troll Hunter (2010)
    • And if the OP could extend to television for one moment, I'd nominate Dirk Gently, a 4-part BBC miniseries (one episode in 2010 & remainder in 2012) starring Stephen Mangan (he of Green Wing fame).
    Diva is in my all time top 5. French Cinema at it's best. The directors other big one Betty Blue is also fantastic. I was taken as a guest to a concert by the score composer for Diva, in Paris ( without checking , can't remember his name ) He is huge in France. It was great to hear the soundtrack played by a huge orchestra in a Paris concert hall.

As for Troll Hunter, I'm planning to watch the DVD later tonight. It's become part of my Christmas break ritual, along with Rare Exports ( Finnish Christmas weirdness), Jackpot ( Jo Nesbo meets Tarantino Christmas ) and In Order of Disappearance ( Norwegian ). Of all of them Troll Hunter is brilliant.  

Your taste is impeccable  :)
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    edited January 2020
    Lots of great stuff here, I'd add A Chinese Ghost Story, +1 for Mandy, Tetsuo The Iron Man, Some 70s Kung Fu flicks were pretty psychedelic, Master Of THe Flying Guillotine springs to mind for bonkers fun and a soundtrack that includes loads of unlicensed Kraut Rock, don't know how they got away with it. And Mutations (1974) with Donald Pleasance and Tome Baker, remember watching this on TV sometime in the 80s at about 3am and wigging out.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • some that come to mind-

Stalker: by Tarkovsky, one of the most amazing films I've ever seen, & all the more so as it was made in the USSR.
    (I'm sure there are several slasher films with the same title, make sure you check out this one)

RoadKill: real low budget Canadian film about someone being sent to find a band (RoadKill) who have gone AWOL. I can't remember if she's supposed to work for their manager, or record label, or what. Some of the actors are pretty crap, but I really liked it, some good music too. A great ending.

American Movie: Documentary about a guy with no money trying to make a horror film. My old mate & I could never decide if it was a hoax. Either way it's captivating.

Nebraska: Very slow touching road movie, in black n white & I think, Cinemascope. It's not based on any of the songs on the Loose Windscreen album of the same name. Bruce Dern's in it, being old & annoying (basically, one of my role models).

Radio On: Total black n white pseud fest, but for some reason it had quite an effect on me when I first saw it at about 17.
    I thought it was a bit pseud then too, but still liked it. Some good music- Kraftwerk; Bowie; Wreckless Eric. Also think it might have Sting's first film performance, but don't be put off.

I think one, four & five are relatively well known (Radio On might actually have been re-released), not sure how easily you could find the others.
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Death of Stalin
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    artiebear said:
    fandango said:
    • Twelve Monkeys (1995)
    • Troll Hunter (2010)
    Diva is in my all time top 5. French Cinema at it's best. The directors other big one Betty Blue is also fantastic. I was taken as a guest to a concert by the score composer for Diva, in Paris ( without checking , can't remember his name ) He is huge in France. It was great to hear the soundtrack played by a huge orchestra in a Paris concert hall.

Vladimir Cosma. The Promenade is excellent, if a bit Satie-esque. Jealous of you for getting to hear it live.

Wonderful film, totally beautiful. but I'd not call it weird. pretty mainstream for '80s French cinema - like Subway, etc.
  • If you liked Stalker you might like 'Under the Skin' - streaming on Channel 4 now - a semi horror 'scifi as social realism' movie, with Scarlet Johanson, set in Scotland. Not up there with the weird films on this thread but it's definitely peculiar. Slow like Tarkovsky.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    Parasite (Korean)

if you can guess the ending of the movie after an hour, I take my hat off to you because it kept me guessing right until the end.

Amazing film into the class layer in Korean (and any modern) society, an insight and also a thriller.  The cinematography and editing is a cut above most oh Hollywood’s output of late.

seek it out, it is truly original and something that adds to your film vocabulary.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    No one mentioned Memento yet?

Oh, all right then - Memento.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Pans Labyrinth
    The Holy Mountain
    Man Bites Dog
    Also for the colour filter and the sheer OTT-ness of the violence, Hobo With A Shotgun
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Dopesick said:
    The Holy Mountain

Yes.  And indeed anything by Alejandro Jodorowsky.
  • Parasite (Korean)

if you can guess the ending of the movie after an hour, I take my hat off to you because it kept me guessing right until the end.

Amazing film into the class layer in Korean (and any modern) society, an insight and also a thriller.  The cinematography and editing is a cut above most oh Hollywood’s output of late.

seek it out, it is truly original and something that adds to your film vocabulary.

It's on general release yet, did you torrent it?  Won Palm d'Or last year, will likely be Oscar bait. 

Bong Joon Ho IMO knows genre pretty much better than any director I can think, and I wasn't surprised to see him excel at a drama.  

FWIW his crime films are modern masterpieces 'Memories of Murder' is similar to the Fincher film 'Seven' (I think MoM is a superior film) and 'Mother' is a fascinating and very moving interpretation on the procedural crime narrative.  His monster film 'The Host' is just a lot of fun to watch.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Dougal and the Blue Cat
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandango said:
    This was brilliantly weird, much like the original books.

I’ll add The Dead Don’t Die, a weird zombie film from last year with some entertainingly odd performances from Bill Murray and Adam Driver.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373

I’ll add The Dead Don’t Die, a weird zombie film from last year with some entertainingly odd performances from Bill Murray and Adam Driver.
    i really liked it but i've seen nothing but disdain online! it was really funny, we thought.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    goldtop said:
    artiebear said:
    fandango said:
    • Twelve Monkeys (1995)
    • Troll Hunter (2010)

Vladimir Cosma. The Promenade is excellent, if a bit Satie-esque. Jealous of you for getting to hear it live.

Wonderful film, totally beautiful. but I'd not call it weird. pretty mainstream for '80s French cinema - like Subway, etc.
    Thanks, thats the guy ! it was quite a night of music. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Beyond the Black Rainbow by the same bloke who did Mandy.
    If you thought Mandy was weird wait till you see this.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Sassafras said:
    Beyond the Black Rainbow by the same bloke who did Mandy.
    If you thought Mandy was weird wait till you see this.
    I loved Beyond The Black Rainbow.  It was like some kind of long-lost giallo Cronenberg movie on Mogadon...right up my street!
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!