Cort g290 fat

What's Hot
PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
edited December 2019 in Guitar
Anyone tried one?They seem to be getting rave reviews.
Any thoughts?

Sorry if re-treading old ground just saw LuttiSthread!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
    edited December 2019
    I’ve just bought one in the blue finish. Got it today just before I went off to sound check with the band for tonight’s gig, so I took it with me.

I had about 10 minutes noodling through my rig, which is a Kemper stage direct to mixer. I only use one profile which is a Modded Marshall Superlead and I ride the volume to vary the gain and also get my clean sound. 

I monitor via IEM. My guitar wasn’t on through our main PA as that wasn’t setup yet,  so I only heard it through my iem’s. 

My regular gigging guitar is a Charvel Pro Mod with a JB in the bridge and 59 in the neck so I’ll compare it to that.

The Cort seemed a hair brighter with a bit less gain to me in the bridge position, and a hair darker with a tad more gain in the neck position. So a slightly different flavour to the Charvel which I was really liking.

The split coil positions seemed a bit beefier and not as chimey as the Charvel. The general feel and playability on the Cort was top notch. The feel and profile of the neck reminded me of the Music Man necks. It plays great out the box for me, I don’t think I will need to adjust anything.

Obviously my Kemper is dialled in for the Charvel so it’s a good sign for me that the Cort sounded good using the same profile and settings. To honest I could easily have used the Cort tonight on the gig and been confident it would do everything I needed it to.

Overall I’m very happy with it.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    I’ve just bought one in the blue finish. Got it today just before I went off to sound check with the band for tonight’s gig, so I took it with me.

I had about 10 minutes noodling through my rig, which is a Kemper stage direct to mixer. I only use one profile which is a Modded Marshall Superlead and I ride the volume to vary the gain and also get my clean sound. 

I monitor via IEM. My guitar wasn’t on through our main PA as that wasn’t setup yet,  so I only heard it through my iem’s. 

My regular gigging guitar is a Charvel Pro Mod with a JB in the bridge and 59 in the neck so I’ll compare it to that.

The Cort seemed a hair brighter with a bit less gain to me in the bridge position, and a hair darker with a tad more gain in the neck position. So a slightly different flavour to the Charvel which I was really liking.

The split coil positions seemed a bit beefier and not as chimey as the Charvel. The general feel and playability on the Cort was top notch. The feel and profile of the neck reminded me of the Music Man necks. It plays great out the box for me, I don’t think I will need to adjust anything.

Obviously my Kemper is dialled in for the Charvel so it’s a good sign for me that the Cort sounded good using the same profile and settings. To honest I could easily have used the Cort tonight on the gig and been confident it would do everything I needed it to.

Wow.. thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail,,,what styles are you playing on it?
  • PhilW1 said:

Wow.. thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail,,,what styles are you playing on it?
    I play in a cover band so a bit of everything really. Our sets go from swing to heavy rock and everything in between.
  • Is it a proper flame maple top or veneer? Looks like good value either way and nicely spec’d. 
  • Is it a proper flame maple top or veneer? Looks like good value either way and nicely spec’d. 
    As far as I know it’s a proper flame maple top.
  • Bumping this thread. I am in South Korea and right now I can pick up one of these new for around £350. That's 200 less than Thomann. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this guitar.
  • I just bought Kennedydream's, would agree a very good guitar indeed for that sort of money. If it said Ibanez/Fender/PRS instead they would be £1k+ guitars I'm sure.
  • Bumping this thread. I am in South Korea and right now I can pick up one of these new for around £350. That's 200 less than Thomann. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this guitar.
    Since you’re there, I recommend for you to check out Nakwon musical instrument arcade in central Seoul. Old town feel, and they’ve crammed in instruments from one end to the other (at least from my own memories of many years ago). 
  • chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
    edited February 2020
    Bumping this thread. I am in South Korea and right now I can pick up one of these new for around £350. That's 200 less than Thomann. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this guitar.
    Since you’re there, I recommend for you to check out Nakwon musical instrument arcade in central Seoul. Old town feel, and they’ve crammed in instruments from one end to the other (at least from my own memories of many years ago). 
    Yeah, I live and work in Seoul at the mo, so I am a regular i Nakwon lol. I pulled the trigger on the Violin Burst G290 Fat today, and I am very impressed - particularly for the price I paid (550,000 KRW, which comes to around 350 squid. The flame finish on the top is beautiful, and the flame maple neck is equally as pretty. Fretwork is great - no sharp edges or buzzing anywhere. The nut is cut perfectly, and with the addition of the locking tuners, there is no issue with tuning stability - even with some excessive whammy bar abuse.
    I wanted a 'fast' neck, because I am trying to learn some legato style licks, and the 12-16 compound radius is pretty slick. I would have preferred rosewood or ebony, but I think I can get used to a maple fretboard.
    The guitar sounds pretty damn sweet too, with plenty of bite in the bridge, and not too dark in the neck. I have never bonded too well with humbuckers, but these have a chime that pleases me. I was thinking about buying some Thornbuckers to make a poor man's Suhr, but so far the Cort pups are doing the job well. 
    Overall, I think the guitar would still be good value if I paid 500 quid,  so I am definitely happy with the purchase.