Refinishing question - odd one...

All 

I have some Muppets wrapping paper that I saved a few years ago... pic:

I really want to use this to refinish a guitar - probably a Tele. There’s deffo enough for the front...

My question is, I’d rather like this to be behind a gloss lacquer, like a Paisley Tele uses a wallpaper under lacquer.

Is this possible? If so how - or do any of our refinishing gurus fancy a project?
Or is this just impossible?

Thanks 
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

Oooh, I like the sound of that! Never having done something similar, Im guessing that it is certainly possible.

A Tele would make it easier (flat surface, no compound curves) - especially if you don't mind it not wrapping over the edge. I suspect the way to do it would be to strip back old finish, ensure surface prep is spot on, treat the paper as a veneer and use a heat-sensitive adhesive (like hot hide glue) and iron to apply to give a flat surface. Then spray gloss nitro over the top.

Good luck :)

Adam

• ESP did a Batman-themed Explorer in the early 90s using an actual DC comic, then lacquered over.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    I've seen one that was done with pages from magazines, soaked in clear lacquer which then acts as a glue as well, and more lacquer over the top afterwards. I'm not sure what type of lacquer, but I would think anything that will soak into the paper would work.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SargeSarge Frets: 2398
    +1 on mod podge.
    Have a looksee on youtube, you can transfer the image to the wood and rub off the paper if you want. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Thanks for that... I've watched some of the YT vids and it does appear to be what I'm after.

Has anyone used it and applied any paint over it - my thought being to 'burst' around the edge with a spray can to hide the join. I take it that you *should* be able to as folks have used lacquer over the top. However, will nitro work?

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I would expect anything to work, just mist very light coats on first....
    That wrapping paper is likely to get pretty fragile once wet with mod podge so you'll need to be careful.....perhaps iron the creases out where its been folded first.....

Im pretty sure mod lodge is PVA or very similar
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll