Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Favourite place/site in the UK

What's Hot

Comments

• Most amazing place I've been to so far is Edinburgh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It really aids your mental health to live somewhere you love. 

I'm just back from Aberdeen for the weekend and it was grey, cold, deathly boring. Those oil guys get paid a fortune but no amount of money is worth living there (for me, anyway....!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26955
    Oxford for me, in conjunction with a number of villages (and their pubs) in the surrounding area. And +1 for Edinburgh. Lovely city.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Croyde bay, North Devon. 
    My home  :3
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    Beaulieu in the New Forest is also a favourite of mine
  • I'll nominate something 5mins from my front door. Dean Village (& the water of Leith walkway). 
    https://media2.trover.com/T/59d5764400bdedb12600183f/fixedw_large_2x.jpg

It's ALWAYS peaceful down there & is my favourite running route.
    Whenever we have guests to stay I walk them from The Modern Art Gallery (a bit of culture) to Stockbridge for a beer & they're always amazed that the whole walk is along a beautiful footpath. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    My favourite place is my living room.
    However, I do like to go out and about; I seem to head to Southsea on occasion, and also Swansea & Cambridge to see my boys at uni.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cowal Peninsula 
    Liverpool
    Northumbria
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1286
    edited January 2020
    I find UK a bit depressive on the visual side so really anywhere as long as it's dry and sunny. Not a lot then eh? D 
    The Roaches 20 mins from where I live (Stoke), pretty amazing place if you ask me.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12345
    The top of portsdown hill in Hampshire. There is a spot where you can see Portsmouth, Southampton, Isle of Wight, the Solent, Chichester cathedral and the South Downs.

im also fond of coltishall and the Norfolk broads, Portland Bill and endless places in Cornwall, ralphs  cupboard and the bedruthan steps for two. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2582
    For sentimental reasons and childhood holiday memories - Carradale in Kintyre and Easdale Island.

So many other contenders from the west, and north coasts and the islands - Ross of Mull, Waternish Penisula, Barra, South Harris, Uig on Lewis, Applecross (pre NC500 when it was quiet:)), Culkein, Talmine, Bettyhill, west coast of Arran...

I haven't been to Islay yet, but I suspect it would suit me too.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

The South Downs.

I'm a Sussex lad and have spend 1000's of hours over the Downs on foot and on a bike.

Other than that the Ashdown Forest and the New Forest, it was my nan and Granddad's favourite areas.

• The North West Highlands in general but especially the Cuillin ridge on Skye.

Cwm Idwal in Snowdonia.

The Cambridge backs.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3899
    Boscastle cliffs.
    Catbells, in fact all the way around Derwentwater. 
    NY moors.
    Richmond, NY. Down by the river at the foot of the castle. It's where I've asked my kids to scatter my ashes.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Pembroke, especially St David’s, Freshwater East and West
  • I’m picking sangobeg beach on the North West coast of Scotland

https://www.c-simmonsphoto.co.uk/photo_7394463.html#photos_id=7394463
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Living in North Cumbria, it's a great choice in half an hour to an hour from my house.
     Lake District, either Borrowdale (can still get to places on the fells away from the tourists) or the Northern Fells (about half an hour away ) always quiet on the hills with a couple of good locals type pubs at the end of a walk. 

North Pennines, brilliant in summer for wildlife (even Ospreys ) on the moorland and remote tarn. Again really quiet and off the beaten track.

Solway coast, especially on the Dumfries and Galloway side for fantastic coves and beaches, again it can  be relatively quiet if you know where to go. Also love to get out to the Solway Firth on the Cumbrian side, especially in winter ( can walk out there from my place. It's quite something to hit in when thousands of geese are on the move along with other wading birds.

Further afield, Northumbria, especially the Northern coastal areas.

Plus, I can't leave out the place I spend a lot of time either writing, recording ( take up a stripped down mobile set up ) or just getting out on the hills and beaches, or to the pub ( the latter usually wins), the place being Arisaig in the the Western Highlands. I've spent as many weeks as I can up there for the last 30 plus years. Still love it, but it's getting overrun in the summer months to the point that the infrastructure is breaking and the locals can't take much more. Sad really, tourists are the lifeblood of the economy in some ways but too many dirty sods calling themselves wild campers literally dumping by the road side (even in the centre of the village last summer )and dunes and blocking roads with bad parking in hired mobile homes. I know not everybody is like that but, bloody hell it's become a magnet for the worst of them. I really hope it gets sorted soon for the sake of the great folk who live there.  

• HaychHaych Frets: 5628

Absolutely love Dorset.  We used to holiday there for many years starting when I was about 10.  Poole, Bournemouth, Sandbanks, Wareham, Swanage, Lulworth and all around that area is just amazing to me and I still love going back even now although I've seen it all and done it all a hundred times or more.  When I was younger I used to experience severe seperation anxiety after leaving the area.  The New Forest is quite enchanting too.

The other place I love and where I immediately feel at home is Chesterfield.  My family have roots there from many years ago and although I've never lived there it strangely feels like going home whenever I go back to visit.  Everything just feels right, like I belong there for some reason.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Haych said:

Absolutely love Dorset.  We used to holiday there for many years starting when I was about 10.  Poole, Bournemouth, Sandbanks, Wareham, Swanage, Lulworth and all around that area is just amazing to me and I still love going back even now although I've seen it all and done it all a hundred times or more.  When I was younger I used to experience severe seperation anxiety after leaving the area.  The New Forest is quite enchanting too.

Me too. In 2013 My wife & I took the plunge and left Central London (me after living there my entire life) and relocated to a dormitory village just outside Christchurch. It's a lovely part of the world to be in - although I do still miss aspects of London life, in general it's a huge improvement over the changes that I learned to hate.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3022
    edited January 2020
    sweepy said:
    Pembroke, especially St David’s, Freshwater East and West

And grab a delicious lobster roll from Café Mor at Freshwater West  beach. I stumbled upon it last summer, what a find.

https://beachfood.co.uk/cafe-mor.php