Behringer XR series wifi problem

What's Hot
AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1666
I'm using an XR12 for solo or guitar duo gigs. Very pleased with functionality and the X AIR app is easy to use.

I've played several venues with no problems, but yesterday had many wifi dropouts. The iPad was sitting right next to the XR12, so the problem was probably caused by multiple wifi signals. I'm considering getting an external wifi router, Is there an minimum spec I should be looking at to ensure the external router is significantly better than the interal wifi?

Thanks - and happy new year!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited January 2020
    I believe at least ac 600 is what you're looking for. 

I use this with my XR18 though 

TP-Link Archer C6 AC1200 MU-MIMO Wireless Gigabit Cable Router, Wi-Fi Speed Up to 867 Mbps/5 GHz + 300 Mbps/2.4 GHz, 4 Gigabit LAN Ports, Supports Access Point Mode, Parental Control, Guest Wi-Fi, VPN https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L5YRYF4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_iPfdEbS83VBMY

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6636
    Could you use it wired? I was amazed at the increase in speed when plugging my laptop into the xr18 via a 10m flat lan cable (and crossover network adaptor) also eliminates and wireless issues.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I bought a second hand Apple airport router for £20 off eBay and it’s been rock solid with the xr18.  You can also get Ethernet adapters for iPad, but never used one
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    I took delivery of my XR18 yesterday so incredibly limited hands on experience but I did some research before purchase.

The inbuilt WiFi was generally considered to be the weak link in the reviews that I read.  It's been fine for me at home but I already have an Airport Express which I was using with my Mackie DL mixer which I may try in the coming days (I've done loads of problem free gigs with that) however I was planning to use a cable if I take a laptop with me.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    John_A said:
    I bought a second hand Apple airport router for £20 off eBay and it’s been rock solid with the xr18.  You can also get Ethernet adapters for iPad, but never used one
    which model is it that you've had success with ?
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1666
    edited January 2020
    I believe at least ac 600 is what you're looking for...TP-Link Archer C6 AC1200 MU-MIMO 
    I had a look at a few routers and was considering the D-Link DIR-842, Very similar spec to what you suggested.
    mrkb said:
    Could you use it wired? I was amazed at the increase in speed when plugging my laptop into the xr18 via a 10m flat lan cable (and crossover network adaptor) also eliminates and wireless issues.
    No, as I'm controlling the mixer from an iPad. I guess there are ways of doing that, but I don't have that capability at the moment. Speed isn't an issue - just reliable connectivity.
  • Another option is to use whatever wifi is available at the venue. I don't like this idea as it will be different at every venue and I wouldn't then have control of the wifi. But interested to know if anyone has used this.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    JMP220478 said:
    John_A said:
    which model is it that you've had success with ?
    It’s one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-AirPort-Extreme-Gigabit-Wireless-N-Router-A1143/184091962355?epid=219530860&hash=item2adcbc6bf3%3Ag%3A3y0AAOSw9oVdvymr&LH_BIN=1
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 181
    Musicwolf said:
    I took delivery of my XR18 yesterday so incredibly limited hands on experience but I did some research before purchase.

The inbuilt WiFi was generally considered to be the weak link in the reviews that I read.  It's been fine for me at home but I already have an Airport Express which I was using with my Mackie DL mixer which I may try in the coming days (I've done loads of problem free gigs with that) however I was planning to use a cable if I take a laptop with me.

Exactly. It will work perfectly until you're playing a gig with 250 phones constantly scanning for networks. At that point you're stuck with whatever settings were previously loaded. Speaking from experience.

It's a great bit of kit but the wifi is definitely the weak link. Luckily it's an easy/cheap workaround.
  • I believe at least ac 600 is what you're looking for. 

I use this with my XR18 though 

TP-Link Archer C6 AC1200 MU-MIMO Wireless Gigabit Cable Router, Wi-Fi Speed Up to 867 Mbps/5 GHz + 300 Mbps/2.4 GHz, 4 Gigabit LAN Ports, Supports Access Point Mode, Parental Control, Guest Wi-Fi, VPN https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L5YRYF4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_iPfdEbS83VBMY
    I just bought exactly that router. Do you have any words of wisdom for setting this up with the mixer? Mixer is at the venue where we play so I can't do anything before next gig setup. Thanks.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Any dual band router will be fine. 
    Ideally you should scan for busy channels and set the router to the best available channel but to save time  I’ve recently switched over to the Orbi mesh as i was getting occasional problems with a regular router in big venues.   

Less than 200 people and a regular dual band should be fine and if you’re fairly close to the router than just use it in 5GHz.  

• I have a dual band router (Netgear) which is secured in the base of the rack case that my XR18 is mounted in. It cost me £15 on eBay.

I run it at 5GHz and have had zero problems up to now, which is going on for 2 years now. I always have a Laptop connected up to the router via Ethernet cable as a failsafe in case there are connection problems.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    We use an old wifi router with an X18. Two bits of advice. As others have said, hard wire it to the X18. Secondly, make the network non-discoverable and password protected. You don’t want punters interfering with your network, or slugging it with log-on requests.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 403
    Roland said:
    We use an old wifi router with an X18. Two bits of advice. As others have said, hard wire it to the X18. Secondly, make the network non-discoverable and password protected. You don’t want punters interfering with your network, or slugging it with log-on requests.
    And fix the IP address of the mixer in your router setup.  If you don't, you might find that the mixer suddenly disappears if you've had any dropouts and the router reallocates.  I found this out the hard way!  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  •  Been using one of these with my XR18 with no issues.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL-MT300N-V2-Converter-Pre-installed-Performance/dp/B073TSK26W/ref=mp_s_a_1_1

Top tip about fixing the router IP though. I've found some of the mobile apps have had trouble finding the mixer and would much rather be told its address explicitly. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    A band I was in had this problem but he used the a Behringer XR version where it had it's own wifi that he could use. It was at venue where the wifi signal was bad due to it being used by the punters.... lots of them and was slowing it down etc. Can't remember which XR model name mixer it was though
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • I used the new router for the first time yesterday evening. Setup was trivial, worked perfectly.