UK Warmoth alternatives

New member, so apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.

I have(had) a MIM fender '72 tele custom & replaced the body with a warmoth  generic tele body some years ago.
I'd like to put a 'proper' '72 tele custom body back on & warmoth is my first port of call as I'm 100% it will fit with no issue, but once import duties shipping & VAT is added it can get costly.

So I just wanted to reach out & see if there were any UK sources where I could get a body of similar quality.

Unfinished alder or mahogany, three bolt microtilt neck, & I have a SD phat cat in the neck at present so a gibson HB pup rout will suffice (ie no need for a widerange rout) & I have a wd scratchplate with a gibson humbucker slot which I intend to use.
Belly & forearm cuts would be nice too

I have contacted guitarbuild uk, but they really haven't been helpful in addressing specs their comms, (issues being 3 bolt neck rout seems to be exclusive to strat neck pockets & the position of their neck pup routs).

I think I'll probably go for warmoth, but before I do I just thought I'd ask here & see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks & happy new year
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    Is there anybody as good as Warmoth?
  • prowla said:
    Is there anybody as good as Warmoth?
    That's what I'm trying to find out
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7764
    The body from warmoth will cost more than a used 72 re-issue. What is wrong with the current body? Just pop a neck humbucker in there or buy something like this and sell whichever neck you like least.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/202865802573
  • The body from warmoth will cost more than a used 72 re-issue. What is wrong with the current body? Just pop a neck humbucker in there or buy something like this and sell whichever neck you like least.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/202865802573
    I replaced the original body with a rear routed 50's type body & want to convert it back to a 72 custom type.

I don't want another MIM guitar, I don't like the thick finish or multi piece bodies on mexican fenders
    I've upgraded the saddles, tuners, installed seymour duncans , wire wooled the finish on the back of the neck.

I want a body that accomodates the 72 style layout  with 2 tone & volume & 3 way toggle on the upper horn & then finish myself, solid or transparent depending on how nice the wood looks
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26928
    Guitarbuild.co.uk is probably your best bet.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Guitarbuild.co.uk is probably your best bet.
    I've tried contacting  them, they were pretty non committal whether their bodies would have the neck pup rout in the same spot to line up with the pickguard. I'd assume it's universal but not 100% sure tbh
    & they only seem to offer the 3 bolt system in a strat pocket, when I sent them my specs they just sent me towards their 'custom build' page which again doesn't offer the 3 bolt in a tele pocket.

You can't send custom bodies back, so whilst it may seem the best option without this being cleared up I'm reluctant to gamble
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    The other option is to get a luthier to make one to your exact specifications. 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I have historically found Guitarbuild very accommodating but the spec you are asking for is slightly non-standard. So I am sure they are just being cautious if you can properly dimension it for them and provide a plan they will make it. It's a MIM 3 bolt neck I don't know is that the same as the US configuration. Again you are wanting a non-standard pickup routing to fit a 3rd party pickguard. 

I had a look through my stash of bodies but I only have swamp Ash routed for 4 bolt and Wide range size humbuckers as I was going to say if you give me the dimensions I could scale them off as that is a Guitarbuild body.

Or as said find a UK luthier who can build it for you, as technically what you want is going to be custom order. 
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    tFB Trader

What you're asking for would be no real problem for Luther in the UK to do. As you're asking for non standard routing they will most likely ask you to send the existing body and neck to make sure everything is in the right place and fits perfectly.

Sorry I can't help you with this as my workshops out of action until at least the second week in February.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/