2020 Fretboard Virtual Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• Nice. :)

I did a quite quick-paced 3.5 mile warm-up before ParkRun yesterday, making the total just shy of 7 miles. ParkRun itself was OK, I was held up at the start and got quicker towards the end.

First Rule of ParkRun - there is is always someone slower, just in front of you, who stands still for a couple of seconds after the "gun". If you stand at the front then the First Rule will become true for the racing snake behind you. :)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27419
    mcsdan said:

Well done TTony. Things do get in the way of running but it's the commitment that really counts. You're doing fab :)
    Cheers @mcsdan - I'm actually finding this thread really helpful. 

It's the discipline of posting progress updates here that's the extra push I need some days to actually get on the treadmill and make  some progress when it would be far easier not to bother!

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • 7 miles this morning, it's pretty warm out.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    I've been getting sore hips if I run more than 2 days in a row. Seems I have bursitis, caused by tight hamstrings and thigh muscles.

I've gone from 33 to 28min for my local parkrun. Since Christmas. I have a goal of 25min (so 5min km). Not really bothered about being much faster than that, or doing much longer distances. Might try to do a couple of 7-9km runs mid week, then just blast parkrun on a Saturday. I'd just like to be a bit fitter, and maybe a bit less tubby.
    Week5, day2.  Managed to increase distance again today.

Last time, 2.5m. 

Today, 2.7m (29mins).  Again, it was reasonably easy - I wasn't struggling at the end, and upped the speed to 7mph for the last few mins.

5k in 30mins is the target and I still reckon that's very do-able from here.
  • I’ve had bursitis for two years but managed to get it sorted with physio last year. Before that I thought I was done in it was all going to just get progressively worse. Lots of banded single leg work and general glute strengthening did the job though and now I have literally zero issues.

i can recommend a very cheap massage gun from amazon to alleviate the pain between runs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    And week 5 completed with a 20-min, no-breaks run.

Which is barely a warm-up for some of you, but I was struggling with 3mins just a few weeks ago.

The discipline of the c25k routine and the encouragement here is definitely working.  I even looked at where the local park runs are!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That’s a really decent improvement
  • Well done all. I went out for 6 miles in -1. I'm sure Newport wasn't the coldest place this morning though. :)
    I’ve had bursitis for two years but managed to get it sorted with physio last year. Before that I thought I was done in it was all going to just get progressively worse. Lots of banded single leg work and general glute strengthening did the job though and now I have literally zero issues.

i can recommend a very cheap massage gun from amazon to alleviate the pain between runs
    That would be great thanks.
    TTony said:

Which is barely a warm-up for some of you, but I was struggling with 3mins just a few weeks ago.

The discipline of the c25k routine and the encouragement here is definitely working.  I even looked at where the local park runs are!
    You'll smash the 30 min 5k pretty soon. Pace setting is really the key to be able to push yourself, but still hold on.
  • gusman2x said:
    TTony said:

You'll smash the 30 min 5k pretty soon. Pace setting is really the key to be able to push yourself, but still hold on.
    It really is. It's all about knowing what level you can maintain without blowing up. I'm at the stage where I know I'm pushing it for the last 2k of a 5k. That's not to say I couldn't go faster, but you just get to know what your lungs can do, and what maintainable pain feels like. I think some American coaches like to call it "puke pace". :)
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    Great news Tony. Well done mate.

Shit’s getting easier. I’m thoroughly enjoying my runs now. Haven’t missed a weekday since I started on 6 Jan.
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Excellent, well done Tony. Agree, pacing is a key skill to learn running :)

Keep it going.
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    edited February 2020
    Anyone have any advice for piriformis syndrome? 
    I've done the 'usual' running stretched and stuff you see on running sites, ice at nighttime, roller.
    Seem to be constantly running through this (for couple of years now) might have a few good weeks then some tiny bit of speed or hill work sets it off again and I have to take it right down. Can't sit down for more than 15 mins. Wondering if the rowing machine is not helping.

Just to add, I may be in denial, but suspect running is not the main cause of this- have started using a stand up desk at work now, but waiting for any effects.

Anyway, after a miracle cure- ideas appreciated. Thanks
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    I've been a bit out of it as my dog died in the early hours of yesterday. Didn't go to bed because of it so no running. I got out earlier today, started mixing it up with some interval running. I feel better for it (but still sad beyond words).

5 runs this week. Start weight 6 Jan, 14st. Current weight 13st 3lbs.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3673
    Condolences @Deadman ;
    Deadman said:
    I've been a bit out of it as my dog died in the early hours of yesterday. Didn't go to bed because of it so no running. I got out earlier today, started mixing it up with some interval running. I feel better for it (but still sad beyond words).

5 runs this week. Start weight 6 Jan, 14st. Current weight 13st 3lbs.

Sorry to hear.
    steven70 said:
    Anyone have any advice for piriformis syndrome? 
    I've done the 'usual' running stretched and stuff you see on running sites, ice at nighttime, roller.
    Seem to be constantly running through this (for couple of years now) might have a few good weeks then some tiny bit of speed or hill work sets it off again and I have to take it right down. Can't sit down for more than 15 mins. Wondering if the rowing machine is not helping.

Just to add, I may be in denial, but suspect running is not the main cause of this- have started using a stand up desk at work now, but waiting for any effects.

Anyway, after a miracle cure- ideas appreciated. Thanks

See a physio. They can diagnose properly and may be a case of piriformis over compensating for another issue. Make sure the physio is used to dealing with runners. Also scar tissue can be a cause from previous issues which a physio can break down.

Hope all heals soon. :)
    Sympathies @Deadman ;
    :(