2020 Fretboard Virtual Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• I'm sorry to hear that @Deadman :(

I did a nearly-9-miler yesterday. I was very happy, didn't think I had the legs for the homeward leg. Basically it's a nice run which gets me some nice time on feet - 3 mile jog to Parkrun, do Parkrun with some effort, 3 mile "jog" home. I actually made it all the way home without walking, which includes a hill which seems to go on forever. Parkrun was decent for me - 24:30. I could probably do 23:30 in isolation at the moment.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Sorry to hear about your dog @Deadman
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    Thank you gents. And I thought losing both parents was bad.

Got out again today, I thought it would help. 20 minute jog, 10 minute interval running. The sweat was pouring off me. Felt good.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    Sorry to hear about your hound. We’ve been nearly 3 years without our boy. It gets easier...

Kudos to those who braved the storm today. I did 5k yesterday but struggled to find a respite from the weather today so went to the gym and did 2k on the rower and 25 mins on the punchbag. Burnt more calories than another run!
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    mcsdan said:
    steven70 said:
    Anyone have any advice for piriformis syndrome? 
    I've done the 'usual' running stretched and stuff you see on running sites, ice at nighttime, roller.
    Seem to be constantly running through this (for couple of years now) might have a few good weeks then some tiny bit of speed or hill work sets it off again and I have to take it right down. Can't sit down for more than 15 mins. Wondering if the rowing machine is not helping.

Just to add, I may be in denial, but suspect running is not the main cause of this- have started using a stand up desk at work now, but waiting for any effects.

Anyway, after a miracle cure- ideas appreciated. Thanks

See a physio. They can diagnose properly and may be a case of piriformis over compensating for another issue. Make sure the physio is used to dealing with runners. Also scar tissue can be a cause from previous issues which a physio can break down.

Hope all heals soon. :)
    Thank you @mcsdan, agree it's about time I saw a decent physio...also probably need to take a couple weeks off (not easy)

Hope you are doing OK 
    @Deadman - getting out for 30mins or so really is a good lift for the spirits. All the best.
  • 6.6 miles today, I managed to keep sheltered for most of it.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited February 2020
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/10/running-crossroads-nike-vaporfly-footwear-arms-race-mainstream

Interesting article. I can imagine that people wanting to win at their local Parkrun may be interested, but the bulk of people who attend are just trying to look better and feel better. These shoes will have very little benefit - you will run faster but look and feel the same, I would have thought.

Plus some guy in sandals will still beat you.
    edited September 2023
    k
    edited September 2023
    k
  • Well for @mcsdan 200 miles is probably a couple of weeks.

Reminds me of cycling from work in Almondsbury to the Severn bridge - me all in lycra, admittedly weighed down by laptop and clothes etc. Then some guy comes past me riding a step-through shopper wearing a t-shirt and jeans shorts. :)
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    lol

when I'm training for races I'll average around 60-65 miles a week but will have some peak weeks which maybe around the 90-100 miles. However since I mostly run trail, shoes don't have much if any support and little cushion so trainers do last alot longer than road trainers. They tend to split or fall apart rather than anything else.
    Wow @mcsdan I remember some of the distances you were putting in back in the 2017 thread, incredible! What's the furthest you've ever ran in one stint?

6x 30 min runs this week. Interval running mixed in, I'm really enjoying that bit. It gets me sweating even if I'm only warm up to that point.

Start weight 6 Jan, 14st. Current weight 13st. 
    I race 100 milers and think the longest was 104 miles. This is in one go albeit with some walk breaks to eat, active recovery etc but they are all continuous race i.e you don't stop and are timed so you have time limits to get to each checkpoint. Over that distance the body and legs go through complete breakdown. Think of the day after a heavy leg session in the gym (DOMS) and you get that whilst running but after 5-6 hours of pushing through they come back to normal. Weird!! I remember doing one back in May 17 - I had a bad spell around 70-80 miles but then my legs came back and I finished the last mile as my quickest of the entire race and felt like I could have done another 40 or more. I even walked to the train station 3 miles away after the race since I didn't want to wait for a taxi haha

I've done 9 of the 100s now but had a couple of drops most notably on South Down Way in 2017 where I twisted my knee around 35 miles in but decided to keep going until I was pulled at mile 84. Gutted. Went back the year after and completed it.

TBH the mileage I do in training is quite low compared to some that do these events. I'm mid 40s now so tend to keep an eye on recovery and being healthy. 60-65 miles a week will give a couple of long runs plus quality workouts like hill reps, tempos etc then pad with easy recovery runs. I also fit in some basic gym work and a cycle too. Peak weeks may involve a training race like a 100k.

Worth pointing out that these 100 milers typically aren;t flat and they are off road. Something like South Downs is around 12,000 feet of hills and going down is even harder. Thats roughly the equivalent of Snowden 4 times. They are also continuous so running at night in the dark too all whilst carrying a loaded backpack and having to navigate. So lots going on not just running.

Aiming to up the distance next year with a race coast to coast across Scotland at 218 miles. Going to be interesting that one!!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3679
    Well for @mcsdan 200 miles is probably a couple of weeks.

Reminds me of cycling from work in Almondsbury to the Severn bridge - me all in lycra, admittedly weighed down by laptop and clothes etc. Then some guy comes past me riding a step-through shopper wearing a t-shirt and jeans shorts. :)
    In which case you need to read the rules of "Commuter Racing" https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/12575770/silly-commuting-racing

:)
  • @mcsdan I take my hat off to you for completing that sort of distance. That’s absolute madness! 
    I’ll stick to throwing myself under barbells that are much heavier than me and hoping my arms don’t snap whilst I’m under it. A much more sensible sport
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited February 2020
    I used to read Anton Krupicka's blog, he's an American ultra-runner. He's with Salomon now but used to be sponsored by New Balance, and they came out with some of my favourite minimal shoes with his input - stuff like the MT00. I think he's gone back to having more support and cushioning, and moving into hiking and winter sports as well as running.

5.5-ish miles today.
    @mcsdan I take my hat off to you for completing that sort of distance. That’s absolute madness! 
    I’ll stick to throwing myself under barbells that are much heavier than me and hoping my arms don’t snap whilst I’m under it. A much more sensible sport

thanks. It's a big mental challenge as well as physical but I enjoy being out there and find them "calming" for a while after too. There series I did in 2018 was 4 of them in 5 months. 2nd was 4 weeks after 1st, then 7 weeks until the third. Very tough to recover between the first 3. Anyway, all good fun and I see some fantastic sights and views. 

I used to read Anton Krupicka's blog, he's an American ultra-runner. He's with Salomon now but used to be sponsored by New Balance, and they came out with some of my favourite minimal shoes with his input - stuff like the MT00. I think he's gone back to having more support and cushioning, and moving into hiking and winter sports as well as running.

5.5-ish miles today.

Anton is a legend. Also look out for Scott Jurek, Jim Walmsley, Killian Jornet etc all fantastic ultra runners. I know Scott and Killian are more minimal whereaas Jim goes for more cushion. Just finding what works. Until the manufacturer changes the trainer and the search begins again!!
  • Yes right. I keep looking at the Merrell Vapor Glove and thinking it looks pretty good.
    ONE HUNDRED AND FOUR MILES!? Jesus Christ on a bike. I didn't think it'd be possible to do that @mcsdan. Unbelievable.

No excuse for me now not to do a couple of 5K's this weekend!