2020 Fretboard Virtual Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27454
    Following the advice of @RedRabbit and @mcsdan, I dialled down the speed this evening, and ran at 6mph - though still on the incline.

Of course it was easier.

Fitbit reported my max heart rate as 136bpm, which is more or less in the middle of the 70%-80% range using the Karvonen formula.  Double checked heart rate as soon as I got off the treadmill (ie before any cool down) and it was 101 on the "proper" monitor, so I guess the Fitbit HR is reasonably accurate.

:)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    well done @ttony. 6mph is still a good speed. A 10km race is 6.2 miles so would take roughly an hour or less (race conditions help) so a a very credible pace. :)

Deadman said:
    I should have said, I'm on a treadmill with an onboard heart rate monitor for those asking. It's getting easier so pleased with my progress so far. I'm going to start posting my weight too, hope nobody minds. Just so I can look back. Start weight (6 Jan) was 14 st 0lbs. 10 Jan was 13st 12lbs.

Sounds good. Running is good for losing weight just be careful of being "rungry" after a run and eating/drinking more than the run ;)
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    TTony said:
    Following the advice of @RedRabbit and @mcsdan, I dialled down the speed this evening, and ran at 6mph - though still on the incline.

Of course it was easier.

Fitbit reported my max heart rate as 136bpm, which is more or less in the middle of the 70%-80% range using the Karvonen formula.  Double checked heart rate as soon as I got off the treadmill (ie before any cool down) and it was 101 on the "proper" monitor, so I guess the Fitbit HR is reasonably accurate.

:)
    Sounds like an excellent pace to build "base miles" with. I'm not one to talk really, I really don't like doing any targetted training and tend to run too fast for this base fitness building. Of course the more you run the fitter you get, but if I'm gong to enjoy running then I don't want any scientists telling me I should rest more or do some sprints or any of that guff. :)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Late to the party here but been doing a sort of boot camp thing since Jan 1st and we’re all encouraged to run.

I've never ran anywhere unless it’s last orders or there’s a free buffet, but last night in the howling wind and rain I thought - fuck it I’ll do that run. 

Togged up, tunes on and I hit the road. Ok I didn’t run the whole time and ended up doing a sort of interval training thing where I’d pick 2 cars or something and sprint between them, gently jogging to the next one etc.

I bloody loved it. I think the weather had something to do with it. Checked my crappy old Fitbit when I got in - 3.4km! Well happy.

gonna head out again tomorrow night. 

On the subject of fitbits- mine is ancient and only works intermittently, if i do get into this what’s the fitness tracker du jour for runners, cyclists and stuff like CrossFit etc
  • I forgot to exercise. I'm fucking doing weights at 22:30 at night and then I'm going for a run at 23:15.

Absolute MADDD MAAANNN! 
    :+1: 

Bye!

• King85King85 Frets: 631
    Late to the party here but been doing a sort of boot camp thing since Jan 1st and we’re all encouraged to run.

I've never ran anywhere unless it’s last orders or there’s a free buffet, but last night in the howling wind and rain I thought - fuck it I’ll do that run. 

Togged up, tunes on and I hit the road. Ok I didn’t run the whole time and ended up doing a sort of interval training thing where I’d pick 2 cars or something and sprint between them, gently jogging to the next one etc.

I bloody loved it. I think the weather had something to do with it. Checked my crappy old Fitbit when I got in - 3.4km! Well happy.

gonna head out again tomorrow night. 

On the subject of fitbits- mine is ancient and only works intermittently, if i do get into this what’s the fitness tracker du jour for runners, cyclists and stuff like CrossFit etc
    Good work, intervals are a great way to get started too.

There's a myriad of options for tracking from just using an app on your phone to any watch with GPS. I use a Garmin forerunner and it does the job nicely, if you like your Fitbit you could update it to a newer one
    And that's week 3 of c25k completed
    :+1:

To celebrate, I popped an extra 3min run session on the end of today's schedule, just because I could.

Still sticking to the 6mph speed (and slight incline) and it's really feeling quite comfortable.  Next stage of the c25k has 5min runs in it though, so I might reassess the "quite  comfortable" feeling then.
  • Went out again tonight. Loved it in the pouring rain. It’s funny I love cycling to work in the rain.

used strava tonight for a more accurate report. 3.42km in 18 mins I know that’s probably pretty sedentary but I kept going and only slowed to a walk a couple of times. 

I think I could get to like this
    Loved it in the pouring rain. It’s funny I love cycling to work in the rain.
    “Funny” isn’t the word I’d use
    ;)

But whatever works!
    edited January 2020
    Gotta love running in the rain! End of 2018 I did a race that had 10 hours of running in the rain. Luckily it was the 2nd half of the race. Surprising no blisters although my hands got cold when the "waterproof" gloves decided to let water in but not out. Lots of wringing out!

As the saying goes

"There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes"

Well done for getting out. It's much easier once the nicer weather comes. Keep it going.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3900
    Well, everyone seems to be doing well here! Nice one all.
    6 x 30 min runs this week. Current weight 13st 9lbs.
  • Just got back from a very cold run in the rain. Still on for a run everyday this month on top of some other hideous training stuff. Can’t wait until February when I’m packing in the daily runs
    Just got back from a very cold run in the rain. Still on for a run everyday this month on top of some other hideous training stuff. Can’t wait until February when I’m packing in the daily runs

excellent, great. Have you signed up for the RED January?

Deadman said:

Well done. I started running 6 years ago at the age of 40 and lost just over 3 stone in 6 months. So keep it going and sure you'll meet your goals. I found logging the daily intake with an app like myfitnesspal really helped. Keeping track of calories helped but also the macros too. I did a 6 day strict calorie intake and one cheat day. That way I saved up any excess for one day and the body can't absorb it all anyway. Worked for me so stuck with it. The app not just helped with tracking calories but also opened my eyes to how bad some foods are. I felt that I made "informed" choices about what to eat rather than being on a diet. Much better lifestyle change that way. :)

• mcsdan said:
    Just got back from a very cold run in the rain. Still on for a run everyday this month on top of some other hideous training stuff. Can’t wait until February when I’m packing in the daily runs

excellent, great. Have you signed up for the RED January?

I’ve not.
    thanks for flagging that though. I’ll have a read through
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6904
    mcsdan said:
    Deadman said:

Well done. I started running 6 years ago at the age of 40 and lost just over 3 stone in 6 months. So keep it going and sure you'll meet your goals. I found logging the daily intake with an app like myfitnesspal really helped. Keeping track of calories helped but also the macros too. I did a 6 day strict calorie intake and one cheat day. That way I saved up any excess for one day and the body can't absorb it all anyway. Worked for me so stuck with it. The app not just helped with tracking calories but also opened my eyes to how bad some foods are. I felt that I made "informed" choices about what to eat rather than being on a diet. Much better lifestyle change that way. :)

That way of tracking what you eat sounds like what I need to do. I’ve done a couple of runs this weekend but I know I’m not maximising the benefits due to a relatively poor diet.

That said I don’t eat a lot just not the right things and rarely eat fruit. A typical day for me might be:

Breakfast

Two protein Weetabix with skimmed milk

Mid Morning (at least 2/3 times a week)

A chocolate bar or tea cake/pastry 

Dinner
    A meat sandwich (deli meats in a sub with sauce)
    A cooked chicken breast (processed)
    An off the shelf ufit protein shake
    Possibly some low fat baked crisps

Tea
    Too much variety here to list but let’s say typically Shepherds pie or Chicken and chips

Supper
    Another bowl of weetabix and perhaps some crisps, biscuits snacks shit etc

Drinks I’ll have at least 10 coffees mostly black and no sugar and depending if I go to the gym or not I’d say a 750ml of plain water on average.

Looking at that written down I can see the obvious drink more water eat less shit etc but actually doing it is the hard part and finding replacements that are good.

Previously known as stevebrum
    Yep, that's the big thing I got from myfitnesspal (mfp) is how much junk it is easy to consume and how many calories it has. If you have the phone app you can scan the barcodes on food. It also remembers recent foods so after a week or so it becomes much easier.

If you have a garmin watch (I think fitbit too) you can link it to mfp so you can see calories eaten plus those spent via exercise/walking etc. All very useful.

edited January 2020
    Running doesn't burn as many calories as many think. It is usually around 100 calories per mile. So a 3 mile run/5km will be around 300 calories or a Mars bar.

If you can attack the calorific intake a bit and do the running/exercise then it helps alot.

I remember a few years back my wife had gone food shopping and I helped her in/packed away before a run. I spotted a 4 pack of mar bars. About 5 miles into a 6 mile run I had a craving for guess what? Yep, mars bars. When I got back I ate the whole pack. So 600 calories burnt on the run. 1200 calories eaten after!!
    c25k, week4, day1, done.  

Staying on schedule.

Today upped the running quite a bit - from 9mins last week to 16mins (which I realise is more of a pre-run warm-up for some people on this thread!) - but it felt OK.