Flying V build

What's Hot

Comments

• randella said:
    ^^ that's a really good idea!  Logged in the memory banks for when I might need it one day...

Was super quick and easy to do too. Was chatting it through with a friend as I was about to embark on a long winded way of doing it when he suggested this. It was tricky to see the edges of the radius so I scribbled over the face on pencil and cut through that so I could check it was centred etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8692
    randella said:
    ^^ that's a really good idea!  Logged in the memory banks for when I might need it one day...
    Yes
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • No wait, it’s a terrible idea!!! 

My blade is ~12” diameter not radius!! D’oh!!! And there I was thinking it was really clever too! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Yes, was going to say - that's a 6" radius - you'd need a timber yard 24" circular saw to get 12" radius!  The build is looking great though - will be really interested to follow your build progress too. 
    Cheers
    Pete
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteC said:
    Yes, was going to say - that's a 6" radius - you'd need a timber yard 24" circular saw to get 12" radius!  The build is looking great though - will be really interested to follow your build progress too. 
    Cheers
    Pete
    I was just sat thinking about it and it then dawned on me. Hilarious!! I even wrote 12" radius and 300mm diameter. What a plonker hahaha!!! Ah well, it was fun to try cutting on the saw that way. 
    Good for making cove cuts for things like neck cauls and supports though
  • Managed to cut the neck tenon today. The fit is snug, which I'm happy with. I still need to finesse it a bit more, but I'm still happy with how it is. Doing this and cutting the fret slots are the parts I'm dreading the most on this first build!

Hopefully the fretboard will arrive next week so I can start on that. 

Routing the shoulders and tenon to width

Almost there, need to finesse the shoulders a bit further. 

Looking great.  I like the jig for the tenon.  
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    Is the neck pocket base itself angled? I've always wondered / assumed it would be to get the correct break angle..
    www.theflyingacesband.com
  • MattNovak said:
    Is the neck pocket base itself angled? I've always wondered / assumed it would be to get the correct break angle..
    Yes I angled the base of the pocket on mine. I've seen people put the angle on the tenon, guess there's a few ways of doing it!

PeteC said:
    Looking great.  I like the jig for the tenon.  
    I nicked the idea from here.. (from around 17 mins in)... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-EKJmrVD_g&list=PL_MmsedwJYjeFYeLNJMewXQwaAgV2aFN2&index=4
  • randellarandella Frets: 4165
    No wait, it’s a terrible idea!!! 

My blade is ~12” diameter not radius!! D’oh!!! And there I was thinking it was really clever too! 
    Ah well, you weren't alone in not spotting it :)

Enjoying this build anyway, looking really good.  Will keep checking in to see what you're up to...
  • Ah well, you weren't alone in not spotting it :)

Enjoying this build anyway, looking really good.  Will keep checking in to see what you're up to...
    Ha!

Thanks! It’s progressed a bit further, but I’m going to wait a week or two until I’ve done a more then post pics after. 

The hardware is coming this week (some here already thanks to @GluedtoMusic speedy delivery!). 
  • GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    tFB Trader
    Thanks @greggreg66 looks great so far! (don't bin that first neck though, use it for practicing neck carving, fretwork etc. everything is easier second time around)
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
  • Thanks @greggreg66 looks great so far! (don't bin that first neck though, use it for practicing neck carving, fretwork etc. everything is easier second time around)
    Thanks. I kept the first neck, although I ended up testing the scarf joint to destruction to satisfy my curiosity. It snapped in the wood roughly where it was held in the vice, the joint was completely intact. So strong! Good point re trying the neck carve on it. 
    Looking good.   What did you use to put the angle in the neck pocket - some form of Myka jig ? 
    Keep the pics coming ....
  • A bit more crude than that, though I'll likely try that jig if I do another because it looks great. I took some ply and cut a 44mm wide slot out of it on the table saw, then made some 3* wedges which I fixed underneath the jig and routed it with a top follower. Unfortunately I don't think I took pics. There was (yet another!) mishap with the routing, but luckily I got away with it!
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Of the few homebuilds ive completed, and woodwork in general, one of my 'zen' moments has been to realise and accept that mistakes will happen. Its how you hide/overcome those mistakes that is important.
    Having said that, ive managed to introduce a longitudinal curve into the fretboard edge on my yellowjacket build. Aint no way to overcome that!
    Also, ive tried to introduce a new skill/technique with each build. Havent tried an angled neck yet. Thats coming next.

Enjoying the V build :)

Adam
  • Kalimna said:
    Of the few homebuilds ive completed, and woodwork in general, one of my 'zen' moments has been to realise and accept that mistakes will happen. Its how you hide/overcome those mistakes that is important.
    Having said that, ive managed to introduce a longitudinal curve into the fretboard edge on my yellowjacket build. Aint no way to overcome that!
    Also, ive tried to introduce a new skill/technique with each build. Havent tried an angled neck yet. Thats coming next.

Enjoying the V build :)

Adam
    Oh sure! I make kitchens & furniture for a living and it's always about trying to overcome the little errors that creep in along the way. Doing the guitar, although still woodwork, is a totally different level of accuracy and type of woodwork - which is my way of explaining the mistakes haha! But I'm loving it all the same, it is definitely addictive as you said previously. Love the yellow jacket guitar, the finish is great. 
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

It's funny, when I show people who know me the guitars (and a couple items furniture, boxes etc) they assume that the skills gained must mean Im perfect for DIY/kitchens etc. But it is *quite* different. Sure, the tolerances are tighter with guitars, but when you then try and apply those tolerances to fitting a kitchen (which Ive only done once, needed help, and vowed never, ever to do again), madness ensues. I do have a couple of furniture items planned out (more rocking chairs and a bookcase or two), but not just yet!

Thanks re:yellowjacket. Unfortunately I noticed a bunch of scratches inbetween the pickup routs last night. I suspect it's because the nitro lacquer is still a little soft and didn't stand up to Isaac 'air guitaring' it. Haven't told him as he'd be very upset. And it's only a guitar :)

What are you going to do for a case, btw?

Adam

• Oh no that's a shame. Can you buff the scratches out?

I think if the guitar turns out okay I'll probably have to find one online as I doubt I'll be arsed to make one!