2020: 2019 Redux (sad content)

What's Hot
So, after a 2019 which saw my wife lose her mother, and we had to say goodbye to three of our dogs, and my brother put on dialysis due to kidney failure with a hereditary disease from my mother's side of the family, we start 2020 off with my paternal grandmother admitted to hospital with kidney failure.

Turns out she's got end-stage cancer in her kidneys, lower bowel and lungs. They've withdrawn treatment now, because there's nothing left for them to do. We spent the afternoon in the hospital with her, and now it'll be hours (possibly a day or so). On top of that, my grandfather's struggling with dementia...and he chose today to be completely lucid and present, and it broke him.

Getting pretty tired of this now. Thinking about just painting a big red "X" on our front door.

:(
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    wow
    I hope this cluster of awful events is ending now
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Wow., sorry to hear that, :(
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18717
    That is a hard road to follow.
    You know that you have real friends here that are there for you (not including me, I'm not being that over familiar).
    Sincerely, I hope things become more bearable for you & the family soon. 
  • Sorry to hear that dude. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Sorry to hear it.
    2019 was annus horribilis for us too.
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Best wishes fella - feel free to vent on here all you need
    All practice and no theory
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    Really sorry to hear that fella. 

You are one of the good ones. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sorry to hear. 

I was happy to say goodbye to 2019 - one of my patients at work died in the early morning of 1st Jan and it was pretty much worse from then on. 

Hope things will pick up and few more optimistic news rather than grim ones. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    I went through a period like that a few years ago........as you get older you start to see relatives and friends die off around you.
    It's just a sad fact of life.......and one reason why depression is very prevalent amongst older people .
    When you're young you think dying is optional .
    You just have to come to terms with it and remember that our time is brief and we need to extract the most from every breath.
    Sorry, there's no magic words ......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    hard times @digitalscream sorry to hear it Sir
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11753
    I'm very sorry mate :(
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    Sincere sympathy - it truly sucks arse. Remember to find the beauty where you can, and not let go.
  • Take care of yourself Lee, and the wife and kiddo.

Bye!

• Well, she passed in the early hours of this morning. It was about the best possible way to go (under the circumstances, at least) - she was asleep as normal, then her heart just gradually slowed down and...exit. She'd had constant visits from all of her family over the last week, and there was somebody there with her every time she woke up.

Would that we could all go like that, eh?

It's a sad time for us, but we can't be too sad - as I said, she'd done everything she wanted to do in life, and left nothing on the table (literally...only hours before, she was still finishing the ice cream pots that everybody in the ward had left).

Now it's just time to look after gramps. They'd been together for 70 years...he's coping as well as can be expected, but I can't comprehend the scale of that kind of loss. My wife and I have "only" been together for 20 years, and we're so utterly co-dependent that neither of us can imagine how we'd survive without the other.
    <space for hire>
  • Well, she passed in the early hours of this morning. It was about the best possible way to go (under the circumstances, at least) - she was asleep as normal, then her heart just gradually slowed down and...exit. She'd had constant visits from all of her family over the last week, and there was somebody there with her every time she woke up.

It's a sad time for us, but we can't be too sad - as I said, she'd done everything she wanted to do in life, and left nothing on the table (literally...only hours before, she was still finishing the ice cream pots that everybody in the ward had left).

Now it's just time to look after gramps. They'd been together for 70 years...he's coping as well as can be expected, but I can't comprehend the scale of that kind of loss. My wife and I have "only" been together for 20 years, and we're so utterly co-dependent that neither of us can imagine how we'd survive without the other.

Sorry for your loss, a cliche but she seemed to have had a good innings/run/long life and my condolences to you and your family, most of all her husband.
  • Sorry to hear this
  • Sorry for you loss Lee.

Bye!

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6388
    Sorry for your Grandmother.

Shitstorms like this come along, as I know myself at present  (but this is your thread) the only redeeming thing is that they do eventually ease/pass, and give you the desire to milk life to the last drop.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    Sympathies to all :/
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2325
    Well, she passed in the early hours of this morning. It was about the best possible way to go (under the circumstances, at least) - she was asleep as normal, then her heart just gradually slowed down and...exit. She'd had constant visits from all of her family over the last week, and there was somebody there with her every time she woke up.

Oh gosh. I'm so sorry. I thought my year was bad but it was not as serious as that. I really feel for your Gramps...I can't imagine how people cope with that. I have left relationships after 10 years and they are still alive, (although we don't speak) and that was extremely difficult. I hope he and your family are ok. Best wishes.