NGD Atkin

What's Hot
After literally years faffing about looking for a nice acoustic guitar I drove 1 hr 25 mins to Coda then spent the afternoon trying everything I fancied. I even got a bit tempted with a used private stock PRS which played nice, sounded a bit generic but played nicely like an electric in many ways. 
I was tempted with an anniversary hummingbird, but kept getting drawn to a couple of Atkins. In the end I took home the Adkin essential D. Full even tone that can be delicate or ballsy if thrashed. I got a Fishman rare earth pickup I have to fit but very pleased. I will
 Do a proper review after a few weeks and a couple of gigs so I can properly evaluate it.
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    Nice. I’m yet to hear a bad word about Atkin stuff. I’m itching to try one
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    I tried 5, not a duff one amongst them.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    ESBlonde said:
    Everyone says that :) 

I'm personally fancying a little parlour thing to complement my HD28. most likely a 00 size, and depending on cost a black-front finish, because I've always been a sucker for a blacktop. The only trouble with that is I'm 3000 miles from the nearest dealer and virtually no-one outside the big guys in the USA stock 00 guitars, so that would have to be a blind order, which is terrifying. Reviews like yours here help give a bit of confidence though :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Also think about Furch then. Cracking vfm and available throughout Europe if you get anywhere north of your present location sticky. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7413
    ESBlonde said:
    Everyone says that :) 

I'm personally fancying a little parlour thing to complement my HD28. most likely a 00 size, and depending on cost a black-front finish, because I've always been a sucker for a blacktop. The only trouble with that is I'm 3000 miles from the nearest dealer and virtually no-one outside the big guys in the USA stock 00 guitars, so that would have to be a blind order, which is terrifying. Reviews like yours here help give a bit of confidence though :)
    see if you can try a Martin 00-17 - they do/did a black finish and I really like my 12fret version (-17s) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    ESBlonde said:
    After literally years faffing about looking for a nice acoustic guitar I drove 1 hr 25 mins to Coda then spent the afternoon trying everything I fancied. I even got a bit tempted with a used private stock PRS which played nice, sounded a bit generic but played nicely like an electric in many ways. 
    I was tempted with an anniversary hummingbird, but kept getting drawn to a couple of Atkins. In the end I took home the Adkin essential D. Full even tone that can be delicate or ballsy if thrashed. I got a Fishman rare earth pickup I have to fit but very pleased. I will
     Do a proper review after a few weeks and a couple of gigs so I can properly evaluate it.

Congrats on the purchase.

I'd be careful with the Rare Earth pickup.  In my experience the extra weight attached to the top seems to affect the acoustic tone for the worse.
    crunchman said:
    ESBlonde said:

Congrats on the purchase.

I'd be careful with the Rare Earth pickup.  In my experience the extra weight attached to the top seems to affect the acoustic tone for the worse.
    Thanks , I'll test it out before reaming the strap pin out properly so as to know for sure.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    ever tried K&K pickups rather than the soundhole type?
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2425
    It would be worth a chat with Alister about pickup choice. He’s keen to ensure that his guitars sound just as good amplified. He recommended and installed an under-bridge pickup in my Atkin OM and the sound is very natural through a decent acoustic amp.
    Thanks for all the suggestions chaps, I am studying options. 
    I have a paper cut from opening a flatpack wardrobe so not playing guitar today.  However I did sit back and oggle my new purchase and spotted a temp and humidity gauge built into the case lid, nice touch.
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615
    Great to see some pics if you have any!
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    Yes, get some photos up. I'm very interested to see more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I am suffering a lack of a decent photo host atm chaps. I will sort it in due course.
    In the mean time I have a temporary fitting of the Fishman rare earth (I now see/hear what @crunchman was talking about) and gave it an outing in a band rehearsal setting. The PU was running through my Mesa Rosetta pedal into the PA/wedges and the mic/PU blend fairly neutrol. It took a while to dial in nicely. I need to spend time alone fiddling with it to get a favourite sound, but it was fairly balanced, reasonably airy and had more than enough bottom end without having to turn up the bass controls in any way. I didn't want to distract from the session, but I'm happy with the sound and I'm sure I can get it even better.

OK so a catch up on the Essential D. I've had it in an orchestra pit for a week and at three rehearsals with a country band, the overwhelming opinion amoung musicians of all types is that it sounds great. The mic on the rare earth pickup has caught me a couple of times as I've lent over a monitor to reach something, I'll get used to it and learn to stomp on the mute switch first. The sound is huge and balanced! I plugged it into my Mesa Rosetta preamp pedal and direct into a single Turbosound 1x10 active box which was under the seat I sat on, just wow! One song where It was noticable, I had to turn down the bottom end because it interferred with the bass guitar in the mix.
    Anyway this weekend I bit the bullet and reamed the strap pin hole out to 12mm to take the socket for the pickup then cut the cable to suit the internal length. I also did a final fettle of the saddle to get the action down a little more for my ageing arthritic hands, the stock fret job is amazing and needed no attention at all to get a decent low action.
    To say I'm pleased with this guitar would be an understatement, my only slight criticism would be that the rather beautiful case is susceptable to scratches through the first layer of pvc exposing a lighter pink underneath and whilst it does protect the guitar, the case will probably get more valuably reliced in my use. I might use it as an excuse for another hiscox for most of my gigging needs and just use the Atkin case where I can hand carry it rather than cram it into the car with other guitars and gear.
    I have another country band rehearsal tonight at loud volume and I can't wait to play the Atkin. If you get the chance to try one, give it a go.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Nice review. sounds good :-)