I can't really listen to SRV any more

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31579
    lysander said:
    Totally agree with @p90fool in this one, I could never understand what the big deal was about SRV, always found his albums boring to tears and most of his good licks are lifted straight from Hendrix, who actually wrote brilliant songs.
    That being said I haven’t watched videos of him live, maybe I should give it a go.
    You should. Whatever I think of that genre, he really was the best at it, which only really comes across when you see him play. He had a real presence and could shuffle or swing like a demon, I just don't find the music itself very interesting. 

It's still possible to learn a lot about attitude and style from him though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeelHeel Frets: 271
    Can barely listen to any music I used to listen to. Especially The Beatles. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    I find it hard to go bach to Bach. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ac30manac30man Frets: 478
    proggy said:
    I seem to be the complete opposite, I only really listen to the old stuff and never get tired of my favourite old bands.

New music doesn't do it for me.
    That pretty much sums up how I feel. I Never get bored of Randy Rhoads or Mick Ronson. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    proggy said:
    I seem to be the complete opposite, I only really listen to the old stuff and never get tired of my favourite old bands.

New music doesn't do it for me.
    I’m increasingly in this boat. I try new stuff but nothing seems to stick, where as I never seem to get bored hearing stuff I’ve been listening to for 35 years. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    I have SRV's In Step, but haven't listened to it in 3 years. Listened to Texas Flood & Couldn't Stand the Weather in autumn 2019 for the first time in 3 years. Stuck it on shuffle (excuse the pun).

I have a few fave tracks: Love Struck Baby, Gimme Back My Wig, Tin Pan Alley and Pride & Joy, but that's about it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    fandango said:
    I have SRV's In Step, but haven't listened to it in 3 years. Listened to Texas Flood & Couldn't Stand the Weather in autumn 2019 for the first time in 3 years. Stuck it on shuffle (excuse the pun).

I have a few fave tracks: Love Struck Baby, Gimme Back My Wig, Tin Pan Alley and Pride & Joy, but that's about it.

I mean, that is an excellent pun I will steal at some point. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    I used to get all emotional at his version of Little Wing. Now I feel it is responsible for those horrific G3 jams on it. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    soma1975 said:
    I used to get all emotional at his version of Little Wing. Now I feel it is responsible for those horrific G3 jams on it. 

SRV's version of Little Wing is one of my favourite cover tracks ever.
    I've never heard the G3 jams, not sure what they are to be honest.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    I much prefer a couple of SRV bootlegs I have to anything that came after Texas Flood.

I generally gravitate towards live recordings of artists/bands, especially bootlegs as they tend not to have been sweetened to any extent. This does, however, not apply to those whose live performances are recitals of their recorded material.
    edited January 2020
    Shredders wanking all over the chord progression with zero respect for the song. Usually many of them at once. 

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    edited January 2020
    The whole white blues/blues rock thing just got old for me.  It was a huge part of what I listened to in the second half of my teens and the main reason I picked up a guitar, but by the end of 3 or 4 years I'd exhausted my interest in it.  Oddly enough I have started dipping my toes in those waters again and have been listening a bit to some of the guys I missed out on first round, including SRV and Robben Ford as well as newer guys like Marcus King and Gary Clark Jr, but it's just a bit of curiosity and nostalgia, I know this stuff will never be a big part of the music that's important to me in the future.  It's just too formulaic and I know the formula too well.

I don't like the shreddy rock stuff either, but that's different, because I never did. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • I've become somewhat bored with straightforward 12 Bar Blues in recent years. The 60's were my teen and student years, when I grew up (or not :) ). Back then, it was new and exciting, but still having the same style regurgitated today doesn't interest me. I do still like Robben Ford and happily go and see him live. though I've found his last few CD's not up to the standard musically as his older recordings. I like to seek out new artists. Most of the music that I listen to is fronted by female singers, and I've often wondered if this is, in part, a reaction against my youth, when the music scene was very heavily male dominated.
  • ShmooShmoo Frets: 109
    I was lucky enough to see SRV live 4 times growing up.Our likes and dislikes are subjective. But man the first time I saw him play in the 80's. He was the opening act and the first note he played hit me right in the heart. Sure the whole shredding thing also can be tiresome, but there are gems (at least to me). Vai's "For the love of God" I could listen to a thousand times and still feel the intense passion  in it. Steve Morse playing "Tumeni Notes" or "Highland wedding" blows me away every time..
    I love (ed) SRV and I also love For the Love of God. 

I just cringe when I hear him now and cringe even worse whenever I hear the 'hot new guitar player' of the day and he's got that tone and those  licks. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780

Blues - or blues-rock, or "the only type of player they ever interview in Guitarist" - was never my favourite style of music but I used to buy and listen to a fair amount of it.  But in recent years I can't stand it.  It's not the playing so much as the songs, they're all so hackneyed and I can't bear those YouTube clips where five or six saggy 50-somethings take it in turns to solo on "Going Down".

I think I still like SRV, though.  He had something special about him.  I haven't listened to his albums for years though, perhaps I'm a little bit afraid I might not like them any more.

With shred, I've kind of gone the other way - I used to listen to some of those guys like Vinnie Moore, Greg Howe, Tony MacAlpine, Richie Kotzen but then I ignored it for 30 years.  I quite like it again now, but only on YouTube - I couldn't listen to shred records but it's interesting to watch people play, they're amazing.

• There's a lot of indie music I was into in my mid teens and now it's all just much of a muchness. The good bits of it I'll still listen to but listening to the likes of Two Door, Bombay Bicycle Club, Maccabees, Maximo Park, just makes me feel kinda bored.

Looking through my earlier Spotify library there's also a great deal of pop punk I can't believe I once listened to.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    soma1975 said:
    I love (ed) SRV and I also love For the Love of God. 

I just cringe when I hear him now and cringe even worse whenever I hear the 'hot new guitar player' of the day and he's got that tone and those  licks. 
    Agree about that last one. Even using the same gear. No strat neck pickups with a TS in front! 
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    God Pink Floyd bore me to tears. 
    I could never get bored of Slash

Wrong wrong wrong at levels of wrongness - ;) 

each to their own despite their wrongness of course ;)