Sound checks

What's Hot
Just in from another multi band show and really want to know why bands sound so different between the sound check, where they sound barely adequate, to the show when they ace it?

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I hold back during soundcheck somewhat. It can take a while for my fingers and mind to warm up for maximum performance too.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    During a soundcheck I’m interested in the sound. During a performance I’m interested in the energy.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    Adrenalin
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    Beer

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Roland said:
    During a soundcheck I’m interested in the sound. During a performance I’m interested in the energy.
    Yeah problem is all that energy can push the mix/sound over the edge into chaos
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Adrenaline and beer.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    No wriggly chicks in your eyeline during sound check!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    I kinda understand why they don't put too much effort in soundcheck but it annoys me when they can't give you a realistic vocal PFL. You have to set wedges and ears up with some indistinct mumble and then boom, show time comes and the vocal channels are peaking, peoples IEM's are distorting with level. Then they are whinging there's too much vocal in everything and you think well Duh ..... if you soundchecked like an actual pro your monitoring would reflect that. 

If you feel embarrassed singing full on in front of a FOH and monitor engineer then don't be a singer  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:
    I kinda understand why they don't put too much effort in soundcheck but it annoys me when they can't give you a realistic vocal PFL. You have to set wedges and ears up with some indistinct mumble and then boom, show time comes and the vocal channels are peaking, peoples IEM's are distorting with level. Then they are whinging there's too much vocal in everything and you think well Duh ..... if you soundchecked like an actual pro your monitoring would reflect that. 

If you feel embarrassed singing full on in front of a FOH and monitor engineer then don't be a singer  
    The best one for me is I’ll soundcheck our lead vocalist and get it sounding great out front. Then showtime comes, he puts his iem’s in and sings at half the volume. 

I’ve had discussions with him about it and he denies doing it!! Bloody singers  =)
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    edited January 2020
    I think the lack of adrenaline at souncheck makes me very self conscious. When we start proper I'm well up for it.. there's en even bigger difference by the time my co guitarist has gone dead at the end.

Edit: deaf.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ESBlonde said:
    I'm in the wrong band, there's no wriggly chicks during the performance either
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    ESBlonde said:
    Had exactly that at last week's gig,  Hit a cracking Ab when the rest of the band were expecting a G.  It was 80s fancy dress and the girl parading in a very high cut leotard from Fame was pulling some very artistic moves.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom