New Ibanez Steve Vai signature model leaked? Not a JEM!

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
I found this, but it looks a little different from a JEM...

Named after his wife and with weird Monkey Grip and more.

https://www.gearnews.com/leak-is-ibanez-launching-a-new-steve-vai-pia-model-at-namm-2020/

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7324
    Very Chibanez.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    DefaultM said:
    Very Chibanez.
    Yeah, they are minging in those colours with gold hardware.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    $4666. Sod off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    Stevepage said:
    $4666. Sod off.
    Yeah, looks like Liberace's handbag too!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    When do they go on sale?  The first of April.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Yikes. Glad I got a 7vwh last year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow! 

And why would anyone want to buy this. Massive Vai fan here but this seems to be a complete dead end 

Interested to hear what the new Dimarzio utoPIA pickups are like though but that’s it 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18730
    He has named it a 'PIA' after his wife ??
    Seems a little harsh & not very supportive.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4093
    I used to own a jem but sold it as it was too gaudy.  Wish he'd release a slightly bland looking one
  • Wow. 

I was hoping for something very much not this. 

I couldn’t tell you what, but not this. 

They’re bad garish :(
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22786
    They're fantastically ugly and they're really no different from Jems apart from cosmetic details. I don't see the point.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    edited January 2020
    DefaultM said:
    Very Chibanez.
    They do really look like AliExpress JEMs.

stonevibe said:

Yeah, they are minging in those colours with gold hardware.
    The original dayglo models are a true classic, and I love the florals too - although I don’t think the monkey grip is right for them, this new version would have been better. The combination of these colours and the gold hardware is hideous though.

You can’t really fault Vai for inconsistency though... he clearly knows what he likes and sticks with it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Predictably I really like them. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MarchMarch Frets: 286
    I was wondering what you’d think of them!
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585

Yup me too!  Ha ha ... I think I prefer the offset cuts to the monkey grip, and that yellow is fab.  Price doesn't surprise me for a full fat MIJ edition either, I expect there will be a Premium model in the not too distant.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    March said:
    Bezzer said:

Yup me too!  Ha ha ... I think I prefer the offset cuts to the monkey grip, and that yellow is fab.  Price doesn't surprise me for a full fat MIJ edition either, I expect there will be a Premium model in the not too distant.
    Yeah, and from what I've read they're going to be in very limited numbers. Looks like the vine inlay is different colours too, which is cool. There's a highly amusing thread on Jemsite with people raging about them  =) The only Jem I've never liked is the white one he uses all the time, I like that these are rather different. 
  • MarchMarch Frets: 286
    March said:
    Bezzer said:

Yeah, and from what I've read they're going to be in very limited numbers. Looks like the vine inlay is different colours too, which is cool. There's a highly amusing thread on Jemsite with people raging about them  =) The only Jem I've never liked is the white one he uses all the time, I like that these are rather different. 
    I keep drooling over the black floral Jem (I'm banned from several shops as a consequence). The only thing that stops me pulling the trigger is that it's a lot of money for a slim neck that I'm probably not going to get on with. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    March said:

I keep drooling over the black floral Jem (I'm banned from several shops as a consequence). The only thing that stops me pulling the trigger is that it's a lot of money for a slim neck that I'm probably not going to get on with. 
    I swithered for months about one that was in the shop I worked for - the neck isn't actually as thin as I was expecting, it was a lot fatter than the RG750 I once had - although it is very wide and flat. In the end it was the width and the monkey grip, which I really don't like on anything other than the original dayglo series, which stopped me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I used to own a jem but sold it as it was too gaudy.  Wish he'd release a slightly bland looking one
    Less gaudy? 

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/modern-body-guitars/ibanez-premium-jem-77-woody-in-charcoal-brown-low-gloss

I'm of the vintage and persuasion that prefers the original, Day-Glo schemes but I'm not taken with these PIAs.

To be fair, they're all beyond what I'd be comfortable shelling out on a guitar anyway so it's all moot.  :)
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3986
    The 505 is a good shout if you like the general idea but don't like the tree of life