Replaced the pickups on my VM Jazz

pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
I bought a set of pickups from eBay last year and finally dropped them in today. The seller claimed they came of a USA Deluxe. There's no markings on them so I have to go with it.

My VM is Indonesian-made and doesn't seem to have come with the Duncan Designed pickups.

I wouldn't say they are a vast improvement, but they do seem better all the same.

Still undecided whether to do the tuners or bridge next, but that'll probably be decided by Summer I guess.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    I would expect the Deluxe American Jazz Bass to have Noiseless™ stacked coils pickups. American Standard single coils have plastic bobbins. Compared to the AVRI pickups, their sound is underwhelming. 

The budget pots in the Squier may be robbing some of the tone. The stock machineheads are a bit cheap 'n' nasty but do the job. Changing the bridge may increase the sustain but alter the balance of treble frequencies to mid and bass. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I changed the pots and jack socket last year and the change was really noticed.

If a change of bridge reduced treble that'd be great as the D and G strings don't lose their zing compared to the other two. Like you say the tuners seem fine, but a D-tuner would be handy.
    My VM is Indonesian-made and doesn't seem to have come with the Duncan Designed pickups.
    Which exact version? There are several cosmetically different versions. The body of the natural finish version with black neck binding and position marker inlays is "soft maple" whereas the majority of other versions are agathis. Maple sounds brighter, making it suitable for slap and Geddy Lee type scrabbling. 

If a change of bridge reduced treble, that'd be great as the D and G strings don't lose their zing compared to the other two. 
    The stock stamped steel bridge imparts a bright, snappy tone.

A machined from solid steel bridge will be less twangy.

The Fender Hi-Mass (BadAss-alike) bridge is low grade brass under its chrome plating. I currently have two of these. One on an American Standard Dimension Bass - where it sounds fine - and the other on a Squier VM Precision - where it seems to have detracted from the tone compared to the Gotoh 201B that I used previously.

The only thing against the Gotoh 201B is that the rod section saddles are chunkier than the generic Asian lookalike bridge supplied on some Squiers. The minimum height adjustment may not go low enough. Your only option would be to shim the neck in the pocket.

• White body so probably agathis. 

There is a snapping attack. I had thought it could be strings against the frets.

Still unsure of further upgrades. My band earnings for the next few months are more likely to be spent on promo video or photos. That's why I'm leaving a decision until the Summer. Live with the pickups for rehearsal and gigs for a while.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    edited January 2020
    @Funkfingers I was doing some digging on my eBay account and the pickups came from a MIJ 75 Reissue
    I'm not sure that I have ever knowingly tried those specific MIJ pickups. As ever, a pickup can sound wonderful in one instrument and terrible in the next. The only things that matter are whether you like the sound of your pickups in your bass and whether that sound suits your band.