Ricky Gervais Monologue @ Golden Globes Awards

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    Like him or not, he's a funny, clever bloke who doesn't pull punches. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    bbill335 said:
    bbill335 said:
    jesus christ i aint got 7 mins for that cringey shitwank
    It think if you watched it you'd realise that's not at all what's going on.  One of the funniest and bravest speeches ever made.
    as if. he's doing what they paid him to. if people like it, fine.
    So your theory is they specifically told him to go out there and insult Martin Scorsese's height and call the Pope a paedophile?
    It's a pre approved speech to an audience who knew what was coming. The level of insults for Scorsese, the Pope, etc, will have been thought through. 
    Probably worse not to be insulted and be a nobody in that company. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    bbill335 said:
    bbill335 said:
    jesus christ i aint got 7 mins for that cringey shitwank
    It think if you watched it you'd realise that's not at all what's going on.  One of the funniest and bravest speeches ever made.
    as if. he's doing what they paid him to. if people like it, fine.
    So your theory is they specifically told him to go out there and insult Martin Scorsese's height and call the Pope a paedophile?
    It's a pre approved speech to an audience who knew what was coming. The level of insults for Scorsese, the Pope, etc, will have been thought through. 
    Probably worse not to be insulted and be a nobody in that company. 
    The funny thing is Ronan Farrow probably is coming for them!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    "Apple runs sweatshops in China"
    "You're in no position to lecture the public about anything"
    "Leonardo DiCaprio likes 'em young"

If that doesn't cure your cynicism, nothing will.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    The yanks do that "comedy roast" thing all the time, this is just an Englishman doing it.  Everyone knows what to expect and it has no impact at all anymore because he just keeps doing the same thing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    I much prefer this roasting style of intro than the old bum licking brown nosing that used to be the norm for Hollywood.
    This and the Washington correspondents dinner speech used to be highlights (Obama  used to attend and laugh along to the latter ...Trump won't)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

sinbaadi said:
    The yanks do that "comedy roast" thing all the time, this is just an Englishman doing it.  Everyone knows what to expect and it has no impact at all anymore because he just keeps doing the same thing.
    Maybe it's just me but this seems much more close to the bone than the usual sycophantic roasts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Yes, he made some valid intellectual points. But isn't the art of comedy about making those points through the medium of humour and wit, rather than just scolding the audience like a frustrated schoolmaster? 

"If Isis started a streaming service, you'd sign up" isn't funny or witty (or even in-date). To me, its clunky and lazy. 

I admire his bravery and even his clarity of thought in drawing out some of these points. But IMO without the lubrication of subtlety or humour it fell short.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Outstanding both in writing and delivery. Excellent line on Weinstein to close too.

https://twitter.com/DanYanofsky/status/1214036792296529921

Great one.  The funniest thing about it is how even before the scandal broke they were those making a joke out of Weinstein in 2013, and still after that there loads of people saying they didn't know about it.

Which might have my favourite YT comments of all time...

"
    Louis CK for Oscars host would be hilarious."

• https://spectator.us/finally-gervais-something-agree/

I imagine you were all expecting me to write a scathing review of Ricky Gervais’s recent diatribe at the 2020 Golden Globe Awards. Well you would be wrong. Because you see, that is precisely what Ricky is counting on. When he stands there, obnoxiously pimping his own ego in front of the world’s most caring and compassionate people, he is doing it for the attention he so obviously craves. 

Yes, it was a truly disgusting display (not to mention a staggeringly apt symbol of toxic white male privilege) to see this abhorrently wealthy japesmith spewing his vile alt-right propaganda disguised as ‘jokes’ directly into the faces of the humble and benevolent Hollywood glitterati. Imagine getting up on a stage to say things purely for attention at the expense of a roomful of such modest humanitarians? I am guessing he was paid a great sum of money as well in order to degrade the likes of Scarlett Johansson and Jennifer Lawrence, so in essence, he was literally PAID to attack women much more vulnerable and fragile than he. If Meryl Streep had been offered the job of hosting, no doubt she would have been paid a lot less. You cannot make up hypocrisy like this and my heart bleeds for the poor actresses who have to live on a mere $15 million per movie while the likes of Kevin Bacon probably earn three times as much just for appearing in a Logitech commercial. 

No doubt you predicted that I would criticize him for violently attacking Greta Thunberg when he mentioned her in a ‘joke’ that I did not quite understand but nevertheless perceived as distasteful. I mean, there’s nothing more pathetic than seeing a grown man shouting incoherent insults at a brave 17-year-old climate activist in the hope that Alex Jones or Ben Shapiro will finally invite him round to dinner. But you could not have been more wrong. Because the aim of this article is to draw attention to the one thing Ricky Gervais said that I completely agree with.

In the middle of his spittle-infused obsessive right-wing gibberish, Gervais appeared to have a moment of clarity. One single sparkling jewel of progressive purity on an otherwise tarnished bracelet of begrimed bigotry. He refused to acknowledge the deaths of Hollywood stars in 2019 because the list was not diverse enough. When he said this, there emanated a nervous ripple of laughter throughout the crowd which I assumed was due to them being traumatized into a state of confusion from his previous assault on them. As far as I could see, this was the one statement in his opening speech Gervais had intended to be taken seriously, but alas, his reputation preceded him and worked to his disadvantage. 

Throughout his routine, we were given glimpses of various famous faces reacting to Gervais’s cruel barbs, and let me tell you, it was gut-wrenching to see the pain etched all over their otherwise flawlessly botoxed features. No wonder the one sensible sentiment in his hateful onslaught on these vulnerable people was lost in a tide of bewilderment. 

I whole-heartedly supported his decision to omit tributes to the deaths of white people until more actors of color are included. It’s just a shame that this rare moment of enlightenment and sincerity was lost among his cheap attention-seeking one-liners. 

Let this be a lesson to you Gervais: Hollywood does not appreciate your shallow demand for recognition. The best thing about the entire situation is that this was your final opportunity to spread your cream cheese of ignorance (your loathsome opinions) across the bagel of tolerance (Meryl Streep’s face), and good riddance.

Bye!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm lost in a sea of meta.
  • https://spectator.us/finally-gervais-something-agree/

I imagine you were all expecting me to write a scathing review of Ricky Gervais’s recent diatribe at the 2020 Golden Globe Awards. Well you would be wrong. Because you see, that is precisely what Ricky is counting on. When he stands there, obnoxiously pimping his own ego in front of the world’s most caring and compassionate people, he is doing it for the attention he so obviously craves. 

Yes, it was a truly disgusting display (not to mention a staggeringly apt symbol of toxic white male privilege) to see this abhorrently wealthy japesmith spewing his vile alt-right propaganda disguised as ‘jokes’ directly into the faces of the humble and benevolent Hollywood glitterati. Imagine getting up on a stage to say things purely for attention at the expense of a roomful of such modest humanitarians? I am guessing he was paid a great sum of money as well in order to degrade the likes of Scarlett Johansson and Jennifer Lawrence, so in essence, he was literally PAID to attack women much more vulnerable and fragile than he. If Meryl Streep had been offered the job of hosting, no doubt she would have been paid a lot less. You cannot make up hypocrisy like this and my heart bleeds for the poor actresses who have to live on a mere $15 million per movie while the likes of Kevin Bacon probably earn three times as much just for appearing in a Logitech commercial. 

No doubt you predicted that I would criticize him for violently attacking Greta Thunberg when he mentioned her in a ‘joke’ that I did not quite understand but nevertheless perceived as distasteful. I mean, there’s nothing more pathetic than seeing a grown man shouting incoherent insults at a brave 17-year-old climate activist in the hope that Alex Jones or Ben Shapiro will finally invite him round to dinner. But you could not have been more wrong. Because the aim of this article is to draw attention to the one thing Ricky Gervais said that I completely agree with.

In the middle of his spittle-infused obsessive right-wing gibberish, Gervais appeared to have a moment of clarity. One single sparkling jewel of progressive purity on an otherwise tarnished bracelet of begrimed bigotry. He refused to acknowledge the deaths of Hollywood stars in 2019 because the list was not diverse enough. When he said this, there emanated a nervous ripple of laughter throughout the crowd which I assumed was due to them being traumatized into a state of confusion from his previous assault on them. As far as I could see, this was the one statement in his opening speech Gervais had intended to be taken seriously, but alas, his reputation preceded him and worked to his disadvantage. 

Throughout his routine, we were given glimpses of various famous faces reacting to Gervais’s cruel barbs, and let me tell you, it was gut-wrenching to see the pain etched all over their otherwise flawlessly botoxed features. No wonder the one sensible sentiment in his hateful onslaught on these vulnerable people was lost in a tide of bewilderment. 

I whole-heartedly supported his decision to omit tributes to the deaths of white people until more actors of color are included. It’s just a shame that this rare moment of enlightenment and sincerity was lost among his cheap attention-seeking one-liners. 

Let this be a lesson to you Gervais: Hollywood does not appreciate your shallow demand for recognition. The best thing about the entire situation is that this was your final opportunity to spread your cream cheese of ignorance (your loathsome opinions) across the bagel of tolerance (Meryl Streep’s face), and good riddance.

Can't work out if the Spectator are being ironic with this? Do they really think a room full of Hollywood people is the kindest most benevolent group of people on the planet?! 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HeelHeel Frets: 271
    Gervais is a ***t. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26960
    https://spectator.us/finally-gervais-something-agree/

Is that supposed to be funny?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • I didn't use to like him. I'm warming to him a bit now.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24292

Yeah..... but this is the nobber that wrote that....

If ever there was a face that was begging for a frying pan swung at high speed - that's it.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    edited January 2020
    That Spectator article is hilarious. There's no way that "to spread your cream cheese of ignorance across the bagel of tolerance" is a serious statement
    All practice and no theory
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    Emp_Fab said:

Yeah..... but this is the nobber that wrote that....

If ever there was a face that was begging for a frying pan swung at high speed - that's it.
    That, is Jake Gillinghall
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6903
    edited January 2020
    Heel said:
    Gervais is a ***t. 
    A hoot? Yeah, I agree he’s piss funny.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Bidley said:
    I know he winds a lot of people up, but he deserves a knighthood for this.

Totally agree .. I only just got to listen to it.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom