Ricky Gervais Monologue @ Golden Globes Awards

What's Hot

Comments

• HeelHeel Frets: 271
    Celebration of a transphobe. Amazing. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Heel said:
    Celebration of a transphobe. Amazing. 
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Stop it!! You're making my sides hurt!

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    I thought it was funny.
    I don’t care how much of it was pre vetted, he still got to say it and he made some good points.
    The jokes about size etc were unnecessary though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited January 2020
    lysander said:
    I thought it was funny.
    I don’t care how much of it was pre vetted, he still got to say it and he made some good points.
    The jokes about size etc were unnecessary though.
    I thought he was going to go somewhere else when he got to the hanging around theme parks bit. There have been some Hollywood rumours going around about that sort of thing. Maybe  that was the joke, and and it would have made any pedo feel nervous until RG pivoted to the size punchline. The fella in question looked relieved!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I could hardly watch a couuple of minutes. His performance was a cringe fest from beginning to end. I think that Borat would have been a better choice.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I can't believe anyone thinks it was anything other than a choreographed element of the entire show.

Tom Hanks was definitely in on it to provide some faux horrifed gurning.

Ricky is just as much in the pocket of the machine as any of his targets.  Reputed £15m for one Netflix special
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Ricky Gervais cheapened the Golden Globes – but worse he overshadowed vital political statements

If there’s a place for smutty humour, it’s at Friday night work drinks after one too many, not on the stage that birthed the #MeToo movement.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/ricky-gervais-golden-globes-jokes-metoo-greta-thunberg-isis-climate-change-a9272581.html
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Freebird said:

Ricky Gervais cheapened the Golden Globes – but worse he overshadowed vital political statements

If there’s a place for smutty humour, it’s at Friday night work drinks after one too many, not on the stage that birthed the #MeToo movement.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/ricky-gervais-golden-globes-jokes-metoo-greta-thunberg-isis-climate-change-a9272581.html
    what a pile of shit that independent article is.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • meh
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2020
    Freebird said:

what a pile of shit that independent article is.  
    I don't think they got the memo about the entire thing being staged  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    This must be the first time in history anyone's taken a pop at Hollywood.
    Never understood the appeal of Ricky Gervais. I find his smugness very off putting.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    I can't believe anyone thinks it was anything other than a choreographed element of the entire show.

Ricky is just as much in the pocket of the machine as any of his targets.  Reputed £15m for one Netflix special
    Just to get this straight. You’re saying you think that they had a meeting beforehand where they told Gervais - “what we want this year is you saying the Catholic church is a paeophile ring, Martin Scorsese hangs around in kids playgrounds, Leonardo DiCaprio likes very young girls, that pretty much all of Hollywood is in on the sex pest thing, and they’re all vacuous morons who have no right to use their platform for any political purposes at all. That’ll go down well.”

Really?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I can't believe anyone thinks it was anything other than a choreographed element of the entire show.

Just to get this straight. You’re saying you think that they had a meeting beforehand where they told Gervais - “what we want this year is you saying the Catholic church is a paeophile ring, Martin Scorsese hangs around in kids playgrounds, Leonardo DiCaprio likes very young girls, that pretty much all of Hollywood is in on the sex pest thing, and they’re all vacuous morons who have no right to use their platform for any political purposes at all. That’ll go down well.”

Really?
    :lol:

When you put it like that, sounds absolutely believable! 

Bye!

Really?

Aside from that, telling them pretty much the films Hollywood makes are shite, eg remakes and sequels.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I can't believe anyone thinks it was anything other than a choreographed element of the entire show.

Really?
    The showbiz commentators I've heard say that any speech will have been agreed before hand, wether the content was written by Ricky or someone else. They will have also briefed anyone in the audience who is mentioned in it, they don't want Scorsese or Hanks,etc, walking out. 
    I find it harder to believe that given the size of the operation they wouldn't know what Ricky was going to say. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7104

Really?
    No it was theme parks for Scorsese, because the joke was he's too small to go on the rides.

But yeah all the others were massive diddlers.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10399

Really?
    The showbiz commentators I've heard say that any speech will have been agreed before hand, wether the content was written by Ricky or someone else. They will have also briefed anyone in the audience who is mentioned in it, they don't want Scorsese or Hanks,etc, walking out. 
    I find it harder to believe that given the size of the operation they wouldn't know what Ricky was going to say. 
    Gervais's speech is vetted legally so he can't be sue'ed .... which makes taking offence pointless really
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Really?
    Yes
    I think the Netflix marketing team wrote the speech.  The Golden Globes people checked if they can be sued.  Ricky performed the speech.
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    Until yesterday I couldn't stand the guy. I watched the video of his monologue and I completely changed my mind.
    Agreed speech or not the guy has cast iron cojones to get through with it, well done and respect.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    Sassafras said:
    This must be the first time in history anyone's taken a pop at Hollywood.
    Never understood the appeal of Ricky Gervais. I find his smugness very off putting.
    You know the “smugness” is an act ?