Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

High gain strat pickups?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
OK, I fancy trying some screaming strat pickups for a change. Any suggestions?

To work for me they must:
All occupy single coil space
all look like regular strat pickups eg no rails etc
ideally sound more like a regular strat when the volume is rolled off.

Does anything fit that bill?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31533
    I have a Seymour Duncan SSL-6 going spare if that's any use? It still sounds like a Strat when you roll it back, but with no brittleness.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
    Only thing I found with the Sinner pickup was that it's very compressed for clean tones. Sounds amazing with distortion though.
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    I had a BKP Trilogy Suite set.  Briefly.  Absolutely hated them, couldn't get anything that I liked out of them.  Definitely not Stratty, if they ever make the list.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    Try the DiMarzio hum-cancelling series that look exactly like Strat pickups - not the rails ones - eg the Injector or Virtual Solo. I haven’t yet, but the lower-output ones sound fantastic, much better than any other stacked humbuckers I’ve tried.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14195
    edited January 2020 tFB Trader
    Hi-Gain is not my personal scene - But the Seymour Duncan Hot Rails as always been a popular option for many - Again hum cancelling with tap options as required
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14415
    edited January 2020
    p90fool said:
    Seymour Duncan SSL-6
    axisus said:
    sound more like a regular strat when the volume is rolled off.
    The SSL-6T has a coil tap. This enables it to revert to "vintage" output when required.

In similar vein, the Oil City Pickups Diamond Geezer. 

The Duncan tap is 50%. The OCP DG is more like 75%.

ICBM said:
    DiMarzio ... Injector ... sound fantastic, much better than any other stacked humbuckers I’ve tried.
    They certainly work well with overdrive/distortion pedals.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • After being on the pickup merry go round for many years, my conclusion is have regular strat pickups and just use a tubescreamer/whatever boost or eq pedal and a noise gate for heavier sounds and then switch it off for the quiet stuff. The loud or hum canceling stuff never sounds quite like a true is single. 
    Tho, if you don’t care about the true single sound, get the Duncan Yngwie’s of DiMarzio injectors.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24210
    I've got 2 Injectors (Bridge and Neck) and an Area 67 in the middle.

Works very well. 
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    The Irongear Smoke Stack II are very good. They're stacked single coils so a bit ballsier than standard sc's and they split well too.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    drwiddly said:
    The Irongear Smoke Stack II are very good. They're stacked single coils so a bit ballsier than standard sc's and they split well too.
    I've just fitted a set of these and TBH I'm not exactly loving them, can't seem to get a decent balance in tone (get tapped sounding right, both coils on sounds wrong and visa versa). Will persevere a bit longer with them to see if I can get it right.
    Obviously YMMV.

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a set of Injectors with an Area 51(?) in the middle position. They were a bit more middy than a standard strat, but with adjustment of the amp eq I really liked them. 
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    FX_Munkee said:
    drwiddly said:
    I've just fitted a set of these and TBH I'm not exactly loving them, can't seem to get a decent balance in tone (get tapped sounding right, both coils on sounds wrong and visa versa). Will persevere a bit longer with them to see if I can get it right.
    Obviously YMMV.

I got them to balance well but found the bridge pickup was a bit underpowered for my needs so swapped it out for a hot rails. The OP seems to want a fatter Strat sound and they'll do that.

It sounds as though they don't sound how you want so maybe they're not right for you?
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1100
    https://www.alchemypickups.co.uk/product-page/hemlock

I’ve got one of these in the bridge position, absolutely rips with high gain, still stratty when needed. Think it reads 16k. Made in U.K., great returns policy if they’re not to taste. Pretty quick turnaround in my experience, think the site says 10 days but was less in my case.

put a video on Instagram when I installed it if you’ll excuse the quality of both the playing and the video : 
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B3KQGRTHjf7/?igshid=f5uth91zkzoi
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I like Sinners, but have never had a full set, A sinner Bridge pickup is OK with Standard middle and neck but a Sinner neck at the bridge is IMHO sublime!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9596
    Radishop's ID Evolution are worth a look.
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 760
    edited January 2020
    For a fairly tight bright (but not shrill) bridge pickup sound the Seymour Duncan SSL5/ SSL6 or Oil City Diamond Geezer do a great job. For a big warm furry bridge pickup sound try a Dimarzio SDS1 if your pickup cavity is deep enough. If you like strong mids with a sort of cocked wah sound try a Dimarzio FS1 (I didn't like the FS1 but I bet some people would love it).

There are also other quality pickups built with steel poles and magnets on the base (similar to the SDS1) , from Harmonic Design, Fralin and probably others - not all pickups built that way sound as bad as those from a Fender Mexican Standard! 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389

Couldn't recommend this one enough, though I think it might only be available for the bridge position.
  • thegummy said:

Couldn't recommend this one enough, though I think it might only be available for the bridge position.
    Another recommendation for the Diamond Geezer. 

I’m sure Ash could make a full tapped set if you asked him. 
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    p90fool said:
    I have a Seymour Duncan SSL-6 going spare if that's any use? It still sounds like a Strat when you roll it back, but with no brittleness.

I've just put one in mine. V.good in that it still sounds stratty without overpowering the other two pups . You lose a little bit of twang at the bottom which is to be expected.