Pickup advice needed -Update

wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 255
edited January 2020 in Acoustics
Have the chance of some acoustic gigs this year with another guitarist & bass player, the other guitar player is using one of my old guitars fitted with a K&K mini.
This time I don’t want a permanent pickup installed so I’m looking at either LR Bags M1 passive or active , or pushing the boat out on the M80 version, or alternatively is a cheap old Fishman soundhole humbucker worth a try ??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've got Pure Minis installed in two guitars, but haven't yet done anything with my Furch/Stonebridge 12 string. I'm using a Fishman Neo (passive, non-humbucking magnetic soundhole job)  and it sounds fine through an amp or PA. I install it when I need it and remove it when I don't. The lead just runs from the soundhole and hangs down. No, it doesn't sound as good as a studio mic in a quiet room, but perfectly usable. And it was cheap! 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Fishman Neo (passive, non-humbucking magnetic soundhole job) … doesn't sound as good as a studio mic … perfectly usable … cheap! 
    IMHO, an entirely fair assessment. I have one of these pickups, almost new, doing nowt. 

LR Baggs M1 … or … M80
    The 80 is better.

My personal preference is for the Baggs Lyric system.
    Be seeing you.
  • Thanks for the replies, local availability dictated the final choice between the Baggs M1 active and passive versions. The deal breaker was the fact that the active version doesn’t have the extra 10’ cable included so I came home with the passive pickup.
    Instalation was straight forward with a cable tie to secure the output lead which was left trailing from the soundhole.
    Soundwise, in comparison with the other guitar fitted with a KK pure mini, the Baggs seems to have a fuller & more natural tone, body handling noise is about the same, job done.
  • I've been using the FIshman Rare Earth Blend exclusively for about 4 yrs now. I've used the Baggs, among many others, and this one pops in and out quickly, sounds great, and I've had a lot of compliments when performing live, on radio shows, etc.