pipes and drums

What's Hot
ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
edited January 2020 in Off Topic
been listening to this stuff all day.. and loving it..
getting in touch with the little Scots bits of my DNA
thinking of getting an Edinburgh District kilt too [apparently it's something like my clan tartan]

is this cool or am I ill?
play every note as if it were your first
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2280
    I love the drums. I used to play snare in a marching band. 

The pipes make make me ill unless they are miles away. And my wife is Scottish so I’ve had more expose than I’d like. 
  • You need to get back on tour!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited January 2020
    Are you Scottish?. Do you play in a pipe band?. Does a Scottish accent come out of your mouth when you speak?. If not, step away from the Kilt.

Even if you are planning on marrying a Scottish lass with a large Scottish family, and think it would be cool to wear it at your wedding out of some deluded form of respect or something. That very moment that they all see you in it, they're all individually starting to disown you. If you proudly declare "what do you think of my Kilt", It's at this point they'll collectively plot to take you outside and give you a (well deserved) doing. Your wife will get it tight, and half the family with disown her.

Are you Scottish...naw!, so you dinnae hae a clan then dae ye, ya dobber!. ;)

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    MikeS said:
    Are you Scottish?. Do you play in a pipe band?. Does a Scottish accent come out of your mouth when you speak?. If not, step away from the Kilt.

Even if you are planning on marrying a Scottish lass with a large Scottish family, and think it would be cool to wear it at your wedding out of some deluded form of respect or something. That very moment that they all see you in it, they're all individually starting to disown you. If you proudly declare "what do you think of my Kilt", It's at this point they'll collectively plot to take you outside and give you a (well deserved) doing. Your wife will get it tight, and half the family with disown her.

Are you Scottish...naw!, so you dinnae hae a clan then dae ye, ya dobber!. ;)

born in London.. so English
    played snare drum in a marching band but not pipes and drums..
    London accent

but...
    my genetic family name [not the one on my birth cert] is Perston [Anglicised from Prestoun, the clan from Edinburgh]..
    my genetic grandfather is Scots and grandmother is Spanish
    I think the tartan is fkn cool
    pipes and drums music is really cool sounding to my messed up brain

so...  lmao
    I've decided to self identify as a cockney deigo porridge wog..
    so whatever % of me is from up there, it has decided all on its own that it likes pipes and drums and kilts and stuff..
    the remaining % of me is not really getting much say in the matter.. lol

av' a banana sanchez the noo
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to think I didn’t like them, but then I moved from Edinburgh to Manchester for a few years & every time I heard pipes it made me homesick! 
    I’m now back North of the border & it’s part of life living here. 

Just don’t expect your neighbors to thank you if you take up the bagpipes- I know 2 people who have moved due to neighbors practicing & another who got an ASBO for playing after there had been complaints. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I like Northumbrian pipes because they're quite mellow but the Scottish pipes are horribly strident.
    And I AM Scottish therefore qualified to offer my opinion.
    Although I wouldn't wear my kilt "Doon Sooth". A Tam'o Shanter is as far as I go.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    edited January 2020
    We have a local Lone Piper, who plays in the woods in the country park. Presumably because everyone gives him a good kicking if he starts up that fecking row anywhere near people. 

As you might’ve gathered I’m not a fan, although I do like the Northumbrian and Breton versions (possibly the same thing?) ... Alan Stivell FTW. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31520
    I can't stand bagpipes for the simple reason that the top note of the scale always seems to be flat. 

I don't know or care how they work or how that note is sounded, but it gets on my tits hearing an instrument which isn't even in tune with itself. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited January 2020
    All that crap is for the tourists in Edinburgh.
    I used to think I didn’t like them, but then I moved from Edinburgh to Manchester for a few years & every time I heard pipes it made me homesick! 
    I’m now back North of the border & it’s part of life living here. 

Just don’t expect your neighbors to thank you if you take up the bagpipes- I know 2 people who have moved due to neighbors practicing & another who got an ASBO for playing after there had been complaints. 
    I need to take up the pipes and practice in the garden on Sunday mornings..
    the thing that attracts me most is the drumming..
    I absolutely adore it..
    I love the really tight snare and the the rhythms they play are beautiful...
    one day I will get myself one of those snare drums..
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited January 2020
    rze99 said:
    I love the drums. I used to play snare in a marching band. 

The pipes make make me ill unless they are miles away. And my wife is Scottish so I’ve had more expose than I’d like. 
    In the Newport Half Marathon, there’s a piper who sets up around the 8 mile mark, under a motorway slip road. He makes me forget that I feel ill. Sounds fantastic in small quantities - random Scotch wedding, road race, that sort of thing.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.