Parts that make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 17222
...or send a shiver down your spine.  You know.... an involuntary physical reaction to a part in a song that touches the parts others can't reach !

One that springs to mind for me is Bono's intro to 'Streets' at Slane Castle in 2001....

Listen to the way his voice suddenly transforms into this deep, mournful cry from the soul at 00:20 here....  It's like there's a hidden person within him being released..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDkBzkA9L4s&list=RDuDkBzkA9L4s&index=1


There is a significant possibility that whatever I've posted above is absolute bollocks.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

  • joetelejoetele Frets: 464
    edited January 8
    It's not the most elaborate guitar moment, nor would it be everyone's cup of tea, but the refrain during Deafheaven's 'The Pecan Tree' around the 9:25 mark where the whole band stops momentarily and the guitar plays a single line that leads into the next bit has always grabbed me by the heartstrings. It's so simple but it works wonderfully. 


    Pedals. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1670
    There are so, so many! Here's one that produces goose pimples on demand for me. Listen to this from about 3:35 (or 3:45 if you are impatient), it's a classic build-up into a soaring solo.



    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 1642
    At about 2:05 in Private Plane by Husker Du...everything drops out after the final chorus into a simple guitar/drums breakdown which builds and builds, ascending towards the song's climax, bass comes in, new guitar part, harmony vocals...it's absolutely classic Bob Mould, and to this day, it gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.


    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 6767
    edited January 8

    The long, bent note at the beginning of the end solo of Quicksand Jesus by Skid Row as Seb Bach sings 'far awayyyyyyyyyyy.......'

    Great song and solo, but that part gets me every time. Starts at 4.31.




    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1119
    Emp_Fab said:
    ...or send a shiver down your spine.  You know.... an involuntary physical reaction to a part in a song that touches the parts others can't reach !

    One that springs to mind for me is Bono's intro to 'Streets' at Slane Castle in 2001....

    Listen to the way his voice suddenly transforms into this deep, mournful cry from the soul at 00:20 here....  It's like there's a hidden person within him being released..

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDkBzkA9L4s&list=RDuDkBzkA9L4s&index=1


    I agree it is ace but I prefer the tingling when the Bass kicks in. Love the tune its one of my faves.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 6767

    Also Devin Townsends Color Your World at 7.54 and The Greys at 10.05 where he goes into the softer parts of the songs. He really is a master of the light and dark in songwriting. Pounds your head to bits one minute, then can have you in tears the next. It's not all great, but when he gets it right he makes some of the most emotionally stirring music out there. Also helped massively by the lovely Anneke van Giersbergen.



    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 44215
    The line Chrissie Hynde sings over the end of the middle eight in the Pretenders' 'Back On The Chain Gang'... the best key change in all recorded music.


    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

    "Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 41
    Page's solo in 'Sea of Love' by the Honeydrippers  I thought it was a sax at first!

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBM said:
    The line Chrissie Hynde sings over the end of the middle eight in the Pretenders' 'Back On The Chain Gang'... the best key change in all recorded music.



    It works that well it was worth pointing out for sure..  miles better than the usual stop->shift-a-tone mechanism.
    My trading feedback

    is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 328
    When the horns break through just after 4 minutes


    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 3
    It's an old one - but something that always gets me is the pause after the backing vocalists sing the 'Do you need anybody ?' line, Page's chainsaw guitar stops (at around 3:50 in this), and Joe launches the big scream ..



    Love the way it's set up for the big finale as the previous times the line is sung, the guitar stops, there's a little moment of silence, and then .. nothing :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 130
    Emp_Fab said:
    ...or send a shiver down your spine.  You know.... an involuntary physical reaction to a part in a song that touches the parts others can't reach !

    One that springs to mind for me is Bono's intro to 'Streets' at Slane Castle in 2001....

    Listen to the way his voice suddenly transforms into this deep, mournful cry from the soul at 00:20 here....  It's like there's a hidden person within him being released..

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDkBzkA9L4s&list=RDuDkBzkA9L4s&index=1


    1:15 to 1:25 when the crowd lights on is always a wow moment for me from that show. The whole show is fantastic though, so joyous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 933
    There are so, so many! Here's one that produces goose pimples on demand for me. Listen to this from about 3:35 (or 3:45 if you are impatient), it's a classic build-up into a soaring solo.



    I agree about that one. A great track


    The part that does it for me is Paul Kossoff's vibrato at the start of this one.




    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 6100
    From about 4:05 onwards. Magical.



    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 5817
    edited January 8
    Wow there are some great moments in this thread - really enjoying it. 

    This one I’ve posted before - it’s the climax to Rachmaninov’s 3rd piano concerto. The concerto is one of the greatest challenges a pianist can ever undertake; and this performance by the young Olga Kern won her the Van Cliburn competition. The build up to the massive climax really starts at 39:19 with those orchestral grunts, then the conductor throws a glance at Kern as if to say Here we go, you ready?, and the process starts. You get the menacing deep bass piano section which starts relentlessly to climb, bit by bit, with the orchestra starting to join the march as it gradually morphs into a gallop with those devilishly fiendish lightning-fast left-hand octaves. Then at 40:05 just as everyone is playing as hard and loud as they can, everything stops dead as though the orchestra’s been whipped away, apart from those 2 chords that hang in the air like, I don’t know, like a pegasus launching off a cliff or something. Kern stairs straight ahead and looks like the most committed to a performance anyone’s ever been, like it’s the most important moment in her life - which it is I guess - then that clattering all the way down to the bottom - the piano must be made of 400 year old oak or something, it doesn’t move a millimetre - and the piano stool’s taking a hell of a beating too; and then at 40:18, THAT tune, the most important theme of the 3rd movement, rising to the climax at 40:31, but it turns out it’s a false climax as it steps back down again; and and then, at 40:38, the theme starts up again, but this time it rises and rises, layer upon layer, till you think it can’t get any more gorgeous and romantic, and yet unbelievably it does, the orchestration is so lush, the strings hammering home the piano melody and the horns following up majestically with a complementary motif, layer after layer piled on and on, until ... 41:10 BAM - The Climax, 41 minutes of exhaustingly emotional journey all culminating in that one chord - just look at her, you realise you’re holding your breath and crying at the same time, Kern looks like she’s going to break down, it’s amazing - and yet omg the climax is still happening, the trumpets are now blazing their highest notes over Kern’s chords - can you imagine the noise, it must be incredible, then it slumps down again, but omg can it be? yes there’s ANOTHER climax at 41:29, and this time as well as everyone in the room playing the loudest they can muster, Rachmaninov puts in the most joyous key change for the biggest chord of the night - where the fuck did that come from?! - then at 41:32 where every other composer would just end the piece with a few massive chords, comes the hardest most challenging part of the whole piece - the incredible flourish to bring the piece to a close - and as that last chord is shot out it’s like Kern goes bang. Look at her! Fucking hell. The shock on her face! And while the audience explodes, her body collapses - look at her right hand dragging uselessly over the piano stool like a seal’s back legs or whatever those flappy bits are - fins? Then the joy that spreads over her as she takes her bow, and her claim to the title, they all know she’s done it, she was only bloody 26, how can a 26-year old have learned how to do that???? It is staggering really, that achievement. Humans are truly amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 4920
    Two I can think of off hand (no video examples but they should be easily locateable) are these:

    - the bit in Bowie's Heroes when his vocals go up an octave and his voice just shrieks - incredible (not guitar though sorry)
    - the end of the guitar line in the Beatles Something in the Way She Moves where instead of leading back to C as you'd expect, it goes to C# as the third note in the A chord. Such a lift to the song
    She's the tear that hangs inside my soul forever
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 2797
    Bloody hell, @viz , I haven't watched it, but that is one fine piece of writing - thank you.

    It's a lovely colour when it's just been washed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 5817
    Nitefly said:
    Bloody hell, @viz , I haven't watched it, but that is one fine piece of writing - thank you.

    Lol thanks, I got carried away. Now you need to watch it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 1936
    edited January 8
    For me it's this and possibly my favourite song ever:
    The song is in 2 seamless parts and it's at 2:53 where the mood changes and starts building with shrill harmony parts raising the tension which dissipates in a fantastically phrased part at 4:25. I have listened to it many hundreds of times and It does the same thing now as the first time I heard it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky9Ro9pP2gc


    If I ever think about buying a Two Rock just punch me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 17222
    viz said:
    Wow there are some great moments in this thread - really enjoying it. 

    This one I’ve posted before - it’s the climax to Rachmaninov’s 3rd piano concerto. The concerto is one of the greatest challenges a pianist can ever undertake; and this performance by the young Olga Kern won her the Van Cliburn competition. The build up to the massive climax really starts at 39:19 with those orchestral grunts, then the conductor throws a glance at Kern as if to say Here we go, you ready?, and the process starts. You get the menacing deep bass piano section which starts relentlessly to climb, bit by bit, with the orchestra starting to join the march as it gradually morphs into a gallop with those devilishly fiendish lightning-fast left-hand octaves. Then at 40:05 just as everyone is playing as hard and loud as they can, everything stops dead as though the orchestra’s been whipped away, apart from those 2 chords that hang in the air like, I don’t know, like a pegasus launching off a cliff or something. Kern stairs straight ahead and looks like the most committed to a performance anyone’s ever been, like it’s the most important moment in her life - which it is I guess - then that clattering all the way down to the bottom - the piano must be made of 400 year old oak or something, it doesn’t move a millimetre - and the piano stool’s taking a hell of a beating too; and then at 40:18, THAT tune, the most important theme of the 3rd movement, rising to the climax at 40:31, but it turns out it’s a false climax as it steps back down again; and and then, at 40:38, the theme starts up again, but this time it rises and rises, layer upon layer, till you think it can’t get any more gorgeous and romantic, and yet unbelievably it does, the orchestration is so lush, the strings hammering home the piano melody and the horns following up majestically with a complementary motif, layer after layer piled on and on, until ... 41:10 BAM - The Climax, 41 minutes of exhaustingly emotional journey all culminating in that one chord - just look at her, you realise you’re holding your breath and crying at the same time, Kern looks like she’s going to break down, it’s amazing - and yet omg the climax is still happening, the trumpets are now blazing their highest notes over Kern’s chords - can you imagine the noise, it must be incredible, then it slumps down again, but omg can it be? yes there’s ANOTHER climax at 41:29, and this time as well as everyone in the room playing the loudest they can muster, Rachmaninov puts in the most joyous key change for the biggest chord of the night - where the fuck did that come from?! - then at 41:32 where every other composer would just end the piece with a few massive chords, comes the hardest most challenging part of the whole piece - the incredible flourish to bring the piece to a close - and as that last chord is shot out it’s like Kern goes bang. Look at her! Fucking hell. The shock on her face! And while the audience explodes, her body collapses - look at her right hand dragging uselessly over the piano stool like a seal’s back legs or whatever those flappy bits are - fins? Then the joy that spreads over her as she takes her bow, and her claim to the title, they all know she’s done it, she was only bloody 26, how can a 26-year old have learned how to do that???? It is staggering really, that achievement. Humans are truly amazing.
    You should write erotic literature.

    I got moist reading that.
    There is a significant possibility that whatever I've posted above is absolute bollocks.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 16062
    I'll start off with a guitar-related one - the solo in Queensryche's Breaking the Silence, in particular the part that starts at 3:10. It's not particularly flashy, but the combination of the attack, the tone and the note choice just gives me the shivers, and it works perfectly with the theme of the song.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReuWlABb8FQ

    However, lately it's mostly been Floor Jansen's astonishing vocals that have been giving me those "wow" moments. That said, while there are countless moments of insane vocal gymnastics from her, the one that really gets me is the whole last section of The Poet And The Pendulum. It's just...perfect.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEzZRMthhXU

    10:00 onwards.

    Also, a very cool bit of composition nerdery - at 7:00, the narrator says he has three minutes to live. The sword comes down exactly three minutes later in the song.
    "Mains is ouchy if you get it up you" - Sporky
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

  • Tool - Prison Sex. 3:40 onwards always hits the spot.


    Tool - Parabola. 6:10 the vocals there really hit the spot too.


    Delerium - Silence (Tiesto Remix). 2:40 onwards. The vocals there always make my hairs go (what little I have left!) - epic vocal trance anthem!
    TACOMA NARROWS BRIDGE DISASTER
    Kare wa amanojaku desu
    彼は天邪鬼です
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 506
    Chet Baker’s solo in Costello’s version of Shipbuilding is sublime.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2312
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSgzBJWYVso

    1:38 - that solo.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDyyMG0iQsw

    1:20 - oh man that solo

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bDVPLDppvE

    1:10 - I could spend a week detailing a thousand Blind Guardian moments that make my hair stand on end, but I'll settle for this one. The whole second verse right through to the chorus is a great showcase for Hansi's vocals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 2777
    edited January 9
    First one that sprang to mind for me was Gerry Rafferty’s ‘Get it right next time’ at about the 50 second mark.... it’s not much but I love how it builds into the song.....

    https://youtu.be/4HEwUwNRnlo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 44215
    tone1 said:
    First one that sprang to mind for me was Gerry Rafferty’s ‘Get it right next time’ at about the 50 second mark.... it’s not much but I love how it builds into the song.....
    Exactly the same with Shipyard Town where the song itself kicks in at just past the minute mark.


    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

    "Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.