Shergold Provocateur..

What's Hot
Any of you guys got one or spent any time with one?

I'm this close to buying one post mass gear sell off but there literally no dealers withing a 5 hour round trip from Southampton and it's the thought of buying something new without playing it first. Obviously I could buy one on line and return it if I don't like it but returning things suck for the retailer (I know as i am one) and there's the cost of insured postage on top, if there's anyone that's got one locally that would consider allowing me a 5 minute noodle I'd be more than happy to shower you with beer and biscuits?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 618
    'Fraid not, but FWIW I looked at a Masquerader out of curiosity a while back and it was tidy. The fact that the guitars get checked and set up here rather than shipped direct to stores would give me a little bit more confidence about buying blind from one of the box-shifters if that was the only option – but I assume Shergold has at least a couple of old-fashioned dealers who will be happy to chat over the phone about the guitars they have in stock and send pics etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 309
    Haven’t played one myself but have been intrigued for a while. James Dean Bradfield played one to excellent effect on a few songs from the last Manics tour, and he chose it over a huge clutch of guitars he had with him - doesn’t seem to be an endorsee either so it’s presumably through choice. Sounded great and he was pulling some great playing out of it
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 415
    I think they look amazing and after hearing all the YouTube clips I was set on getting one. The spec is exactly what I was looking for.

I drive 2 hours to a store that had them in stock, took one look and walked out and drove home. I didn't even play it. 

So... They are prefect on paper but it just didn't turn me on when I saw it in the flesh like a Les Paul, 335, tele or strat does. I like a lot of modern stuff too but think it was the poly look that put me off. 

But that's just me. You might love them. I'm fussy like that. Guitars need to have a thing about them for me to want them. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Onpar said:
    I think they look amazing and after hearing all the YouTube clips I was set on getting one. The spec is exactly what I was looking for.

I drive 2 hours to a store that had them in stock, took one look and walked out and drove home. I didn't even play it. 

So... They are prefect on paper but it just didn't turn me on when I saw it in the flesh like a Les Paul, 335, tele or strat does. I like a lot of modern stuff too but think it was the poly look that put me off. 

But that's just me. You might love them. I'm fussy like that. Guitars need to have a thing about them for me to want them. 
    Interesting. In all the blurb it says that it's high gloss lacquer so i assumed it was nitro? I must admit that it's the finish that's the main thing i'm hesitating on, that and the fact that the nearest shop to me with a SP01 in the colour I want is 3 hours away!
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 415
    Onpar said:

Interesting. In all the blurb it says that it's high gloss lacquer so i assumed it was nitro? I must admit that it's the finish that's the main thing i'm hesitating on, that and the fact that the nearest shop to me with a SP01 in the colour I want is 3 hours away!
    It wasn't that it looked particularly bad, I think when I saw it I just realised I actually wanted a Les Paul. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    The pickguard reminds me of the Diaz Ghost if anyone here remembers them?
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    The pickguard reminds me of the Diaz Ghost if anyone here remembers them?
    I do remember that ! Man that was a protracted one to ultimately come to nothing. Well, I say nothing does anyone know if Denis ever got anywhere with it ? 
  • The pickguard reminds me of the Diaz Ghost if anyone here remembers them?
    Nope. And the only place I can find a pic on the internet is..... Guess where!?
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/7852/the-not-one-of-them-thread/p4