One day in Paris

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 401
    Get a day ticket for the metro. I wouldn't bother going up the Eiffel tower. Instead, go to Sacré Coeur, down the side, into the crypt entrance and buy a ticket to climb the dome (cheap). You are higher up there than you would be up the tower, and you get a panorama of the city, including the Eiffel tower, with very little, if any, queuing and less harassment from those guys selling all kinds of tourist shite. Lots of museums and galleries are open at night too, so Musée d'Orsay will be less busy later on, and buying tickets in advance for the tower etc. if you must go, is essential imho. Bonne chance!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    Toms_Dad said:
    It’s already a lot as has been said.  Completely agree that Musee D’Orsay is much better experience than the Louvre. Think impressionists in the Musee D’Orsay vs British Museum in the Louvre
    This is common (and good) advice but I think I'd recommend the Louvre over the Musee d'Orsay for most people. Unless there is something specific in the M d'O you want to see, the Louvre has the edge. Bigger, more varied and you'll get to see the Mona Lisa (you might be a little underwhelmed but you'll have seen it) and the Venus de Milo (worth it).

Again I'd recommend the Eiffel Tower over other options just so you can say you've done it - not to other people but yourself. If you go to Paris for a day and miss out on the two most iconic aspects you might come away thinking 'I wonder what they are really like?'

A quiant Parisian cafe might be harder to find than you think but there is a nice little crepe place (Happy Caffe) nearby where you can grab some coffee, croissants*, and crepes amongst other things. Head over the road to the park and sit by in some glorious surroundings while enjoying your lunch.

That's a pretty full day. If you ever go back you can start exploring the other options.

I would say that any time you speak to someone, start with a cheery Bonjour! even if you have no other French under your belt. It's a sign of basic manners there and you might be surprised at just how few 'moody' French people you meet compared to other tourists.

Also, 'Skip The Queue' tickets bought in advance will be well worth it - especially if you only have a day.

* Last time I was there a waiter from the very posh hotel next door was buying their croissants there which we figured were being given a 500% mark-up.

• All great advice thank you! I'll have a good chat and plan with the wife. Does anyone have any thoughts on walking up the Eiffel Tower instead of getting the lift?

It's tiring, and you'll need to save your energy if you want to see those other things ;-)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    dafuzz said:
    If the waiter tells you they are finishing their shift, it means they want you to settle up now. The next waiter will start a new bill. They don't like it if you just say "cool - have a great evening" and go back to your conversation

Also remember the waiter is doing you a massive favour by even tolerating you in their establishment

I love Paris
    Also, according to a mate who’s just been there, don’t pay the bill with a large value note. He did and the waiter assumed he’d been given a massive tip and didn’t come back with any change. :s  When my mate asked for the manager to resolve the issue, suddenly everyone only spoke French. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The problem with the Louvre is that it's absolutely huge, so you must plan what you want to see. The Orsay is more interesting on the inside because of the building.
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited January 2020

I would recommend that you study the Paris Metro Map and make a plan of how to get to the places you would like to see. Most of the tourist attractions are close to Metro Stations, so you do not have to walk a long way.

If you intend to use the Metro, calculate how many rides you will make and buy a Carnet (karnay) which contains 10 Metro tickets. It will save you a lot of time at busy stations. You need to retain a ticket just in case an inspector asks to see it, even as you exit a barrier. I usually write a number on the tickets so that I know which one was used and has expired.   

Here is a rough plan I made up for one of my trips. Of course, lots of information is missing from it. 

BTW, I travelled on the Eurostar from London to Paris Gare du Nord.

I started my tour from the Gare du Nord railway station, and went around in a loop to pick out the various tourist attractions along the way.

WARNING: Beware of pickpockets and aggressive begging.  

Sacre Coeur – from Gare du Nord, take No. 4 metro to Porte de Clignancourt and get off at Barbes Rochechouart. Change to the No. 2 metro going to Porte Dauphine and get off at Anvers station.

From Anvers, walk up to the hill. On the left, you will see the Funicular. The Funicular is a sloping elevator which goes up the hill. You will need a Metro Ticket for a ride, but there are ticket vending machines nearby.    

Moulin Rouge – from Anvers, take the No. 2 metro going to Porte Dauphine and get off at Blanche.  

Eiffel Tower – from Blanche, take the No. 2 metro going to Porte Dauphine and get off at Charles de Gaulle Etoille. Change to the No. 6 metro to Nation and get off at Trocadero.  

Trocadero – this is on the opposite bank of the river which provides an excellent panoramic view of the Eiffel Tower. From here you can walk to the Eiffel Tower.    

Bateux Mouche – Seine riverboat cruises are available next to the bridge at the foot of the Eiffel Tower. Best time to go is during daylight in the evening. It will start to turn dark on the return trip which will enable you to see the Light Show on the Eiffel Tower.   

Princess Diana Memorial – from Trocadero, take the No. 9 metro to Mairie de Montreuil and get off at Alma Marceau, or walk from Trocadero or the Eiffel Tower.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  

Pompidou Centre – from Gare du Nord, take the No. 5 Metro to Place d’Italie, and get off at Republique. Change to the No. 11 metro going to Chatelet, and get off at Rambuteau.

Notre Dame – go back to Rambuteau and take the No. 11 metro going to Chatelet. Change to the No. 4 metro going to Porte d’Orleans, and get off at St. Michel.

Le Grande Arch  – La Defense

Arc De Triomphe

Champs Elysees

Louvre

Gallerie La Fayette - from Trocadero, take the No. 9 metro to Mairie de Montreuil and get off at Chaussee d’Antin La Fayette

Paris Printemps

Musee D’Orsay – from St Michel – Notre Dame, take the C-Line RER to Musee D’Orsay

Place de Invalides – from Musee D'Orsay, take the C-Line RER to Invalides Metro station  Tour Maubourg

Statue of Liberty - Pont de Grenelle, Paris, France. Yes, there is a replica of the Statue of Liberty in Paris, but it is smaller in size.  

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4914
    ... "makes a hard man humble"...

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited January 2020
    Pick two things and take your time.
    Go back again and do more.
    There is no point in trying to swallow Paris in one bite.

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Montmartre for sure - the view from Sacre Couer is great. And then as @octatonic says pick one other thing. No point in rushing to do a lot in one day - you won't have a great experience.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Winny_Pooh said:k
    One day is tight.

Musee de Orsay

Montmartre and walk to Sacre Coeur

Eiffel Tower

Dont bother IMO:
    Louvre
    Arc De Triomphe
    Champs-Élysées
    Having lived there I agree with Winny. If you’ve only get one day then don’t overload it. If you rush then you’ll miss the whole point of Paris: sitting in cafés people watching. Muse d’Orsay is my favourite, but I like that type of painting. Get there when it opens to avoid crowds. When you get up the hill to Sacre Coeur turn left into Place des Artistes for a coffee, or lunch if you’re flush with Euros.

Louvre: too big. Someone calculated that, if you give every exhibit 20 seconds, you’ll be there for a lifetime. If you must see the Mona Lisa then sneak in 40 minutes before closing and go straight to it.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    My wife and I did a three day break a couple of years back and we struggled to see all we would of liked to. I'd go with the suggestion of mon matre and the sacre coeur and maybe an open topped tour bus. 
    Other places we visited that I dont think have been mentioned include les invalides and a tour of the grande opera house.
    We have a return visit in mind.