Harry and Meghan quit

What's Hot

Comments

• ewalewal Frets: 2582
    Fretwired said:
    crunchman said:
    Apparently there are 17 pages on this in the Daily Mail.

Watch the politicians try to bury unpopular news today.

Yep .. Trump has bought the NHS and the RN's new aircraft carriers have been sold to China along with Scotland .. :-)
    is that right?
    can we sell it now, before it comes up for a free Transfer?
    Can you keep this arrogant pish to the politics forum so I don't see it. Thanks.

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31519
    I find the blanket coverage of this on even "serious" news outlets genuinely depressing, especially given the other things going on in the world at the moment. 

They are not by definition employed, simply because if they don't do their "job" nobody else has to step in and cover. The job does not exist, and it shouldn't matter to anyone sane whether they are there to pretend to do it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I don't follow the royals and I don't read the gutter press; therefore, I have no opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

If it all goes tits up they can stay with his real dad.

What is James Hewitt up to these days anyway?

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Bet they could earn a few bob working for one of those looky-likey agencies.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    HAL9000 said:
    Bet they could earn a few bob working for one of those looky-likey agencies.
    She can do that bird from that  tv show Suits but harry will be a rubbish Jamie Oliver looky-likey.
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 538
    Reverend said:
    She can do that bird from that  tv show Suits

Hmmmmm

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Harry could be an Ed Sheeran lookalike.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    edited January 2020
    you know what, do we really give a toss about this? Really? They seem like nice people, but I honestly couldn't give a monkey's what they do.
    I read, and was surprised that most, if not all Charles' income comes from a massive property and investment portfiolio called the Duchy of Cornwall. That lands him over £21M a year, of which £5M or so goes to Harry. Wow.
    Then I read that the two boys inherited around £13M from Diana.
    So, it won't be much of a step to become financially independent at all.

On another line of thought - is this why the Duchy range of fruit and veg, at Waitrose, is so much more expensive? Pray tell....

Oh. and all this nonsense that hs isn't Charles' son. Get out of it, he's the bloke's double. He's got that royal family look all over him - little close together eyes and all that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Snap said:
    you know what, do we really give a toss about this? Really? They seem like nice people, but I honestly couldn't give a monkey's what they do.
    I read, and was surprised that most, if not all Charles' income comes from a massive property and investment portfiolio called the Duchy of Cornwall. That lands him over £21M a year, of which £5M or so goes to Harry. Wow.
    Exactly. The only real issue is who pays for their security.

It seems to me that for a lot of people, nothing they can do is right - anti-royalists want the royals to just go and earn their keep and stop being paid for by the taxpayer... then when a couple of them decide to do so, all hell breaks loose.

Snap said:

Oh. and all this nonsense that hs isn't Charles' son. Get out of it, he's the bloke's double. He's got that royal family look all over him - little close together eyes and all that.
    I'm really not sure why this tired old idea is still being repeated. He's obviously Charles' son.

I can totally understand the outrage directed at Prince Andrew, but that all seems to have been swept under the carpet now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    @ICBM - on the security, I think I'm right in saying that for certain trips they have no choice but to accept a security detail and the like.
    There was an interview a while ago in GQ with William which was very good. I am not a monarchist really, and his take on it all was very pragmatic. He said that neither of them want to be King at all. Harry has the option of pulling out easily, much more trcky for William.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    ICBM said: I can totally understand the outrage directed at Prince Andrew, but that all seems to have been swept under the carpet now.
    Hmmm, almost like it was planned that way? A good day to bury bad news and all that? 

Maybe I’m being too cynical but nothing would surprise me, especially with the way PR is so carefully engineered these days. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    ICBM said:

Exactly. The only real issue is who pays for their security.

It seems to me that for a lot of people, nothing they can do is right - anti-royalists want the royals to just go and earn their keep and stop being paid for by the taxpayer... then when a couple of them decide to do so, all hell breaks loose.

Yeah, but it mainly seems to be the monarchist/royalist types and the establishment fellating media who are getting all frothy at the mouth over it. As someone who wants rid of the monarchy, I say more power to Harry and Meghan and that's not so much because I care for them, but that anything which weakens/undermines the monarchy can only be good
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogieman said:
    ICBM said: I can totally understand the outrage directed at Prince Andrew, but that all seems to have been swept under the carpet now.
    Hmmm, almost like it was planned that way? A good day to bury bad news and all that? 

Maybe I’m being too cynical but nothing would surprise me, especially with the way PR is so carefully engineered these days. 
    Yes indeed, especially as the monarchy (and the government seemingly) are essentially just marketing organisations whose output is to blur the bad stuff and make everybody follow one personality at the top. At least the monarchy do some charity work I suppose.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Snap said:

On another line of thought - is this why the Duchy range of fruit and veg, at Waitrose, is so much more expensive? Pray tell....

Harry has £34 million from his mum and the Spencer family and other sources.

Technically the royals are funded by the Crown Estate. The Crown Estate is an independent body and the lands are not owned by the government. All the income from the Crown Estates (billions) goes to the Treasury which then gives the royal family money - the estate creates a large surplus. Charles gets income from the Dutchy of Cornwall.

Anti-monarchists say all these lands should be in public ownership and all the money raised should be spent on public services.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bye!

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Snap said:
    @ICBM - on the security, I think I'm right in saying that for certain trips they have no choice but to accept a security detail and the like.

They need to have security -- it wouldn't be fair on them if they didn't. 
    FWIW I think we, as tax payers, have got a duty to pay for it too.  Or at least some of it. 
    If you're born into a system, and it's "our" system, then you've got no choice.  It's not like Harry can suddenly decide not to be a target.  And that aspect of his life wasn't chosen.  So, alas, I think we've got an obligation to fund it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24198
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24198
    Or another view...

American Princess saves a deeply unhappy British prince from his overbearing family.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom