My Les Paul

What's Hot
I have a gold top, purchased a few years back in Houston when I was out there working. The model number is LPS5GTNH1, serial number 006580533. 

I think it’s a standard? But should that not haven a coil tap? So maybe it’s a traditional? I remember the chap saying it was a fifties style guitar? Does that sound right? 

It’s a great instrument just curious to know a little more. Would an R8 or R9 be a more authentic fifties guitar?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7005
    tFB Trader
    LP = Les Paul

S = Standard

5 = 50s neck

GT = Goldtop

NH = Nickel Hardware

1 = ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    Coil tap would only be possible on single coil pickups. With push-pull pots, coil split would be possible but anachronistic.

The R8/R9/R0 are Gibson's endeavour to faithfully recreate the historic pieces from 1958-60. They would have us believe that these models are more "authentic". (Whatever that really means in this context.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Coil tap would only be possible on single coil pickups. With push-pull pots, coil split would be possible but anachronistic.

The R8/R9/R0 are Gibson's endeavour to faithfully recreate the historic pieces from 1958-60. They would have us believe that these models are more "authentic". (Whatever that really means in this context.)
    Goldtop doesn't mean it's an R7. The 2014 Goldtop standards had coil splits. @Lesgrandepotato your guitar would appear to have been made in March of 2008 - the 2008 Goldtop Standards didn't have a coil split.

Some basic info here:

https://www.usaguitars.net/project/2008-gibson-les-paul-standard-goldtop-nos/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7088
    LP = Les Paul

S = Standard

5 = 50s neck

GT = Goldtop

NH = Nickel Hardware

1 = ?
    the 1 indicates it's just one guitar
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Oh and the "1" is "1st Quality" i.e. not B stock.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom