Reharmonising Adele's Hello

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
I love it when songs are reharmonised from there original basic chords into the more complex jazz versions. The way it opens up predictable chord patterns can be wonderous.

So you theory junkies may enjoy this.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bob21bob21 Frets: 170
    Couldn't get past the first minute, when he started down the "I'm a jazz guy, I'm so clever" route by calling a 6/4/1/5 progression flat this and flat that by analysing it as Minor tonic.

Just smacks of deliberate overcomplication to sound clever. And that's coming from a bloke with a Jazz degree! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bob21bob21 Frets: 170
    Tried again, made it to the track. It's actually a slamming track, with some great musos and some pretty good harmony.
    Just most of the things he says that I object to!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    The idea of good taste left the project now and again but always useful to see practical applications of harmony 
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited January 2020
    bob21 said:
    Couldn't get past the first minute, when he started down the "I'm a jazz guy, I'm so clever" route by calling a 6/4/1/5 progression flat this and flat that by analysing it as Minor tonic.

Just smacks of deliberate overcomplication to sound clever. And that's coming from a bloke with a Jazz degree! 
    But what choice does he have? I mean, the song IS in F minor which is a minor tonic, and its chords are Fm-Db-Ab-Eb, which are i-bVI-bIII-bVII. I don’t really see what else he can do, there’s just no other way of naming the chords - he could hardly call the Fm a vi chord. That’s not being clever it’s just being correct wouldn’t you say?

It would be like saying the chords in All Along the Watchtower are vi-V-IV. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    I really like the singer on this. Tbh though I do prefer the original, even with all the 'clever' additions to this version.