Edit: Things what I wrote.

What's Hot
octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
edited February 2020 in Studio & Recording
Edit: Decided to make this a catch all thread for my various articles.
I should be doing a lot more of this.

Sorry for the spam, but I know a few people here are interested.
I've written an article for Pro Tools Expert which has gone up today.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2019/12/27/mac-pro-2019-with-pro-tools-hdx-running-201912-on-macos-catalina-a-user-case-study
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    edited January 2020
    Cool article...just out of interest ( I use Studio One) ...whats your thoughts on Pro tools being challenged as the industry leader by other DAWS?.....Oh and Oxford isn't that far....I wanna come see your gear ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    spark240 said:
    Cool article...just out of interest ( I use Studio One) ...whats your thoughts on Pro tools being challenged as the industry leader by other DAWS?.....Oh and Oxford isn't that far....I wanna come see your gear ;-)
    Cheers.

The professional market is still mostly Pro Tools.
    I don't know anyone who delivers sessions in any other format.
    You get a few people who use other DAW's but they often have Pro Tools as well.

But there has been difference and variation in the market for years.
    I started on C-Lab Notator, that eventually became Logic.
    Digital Performer is older than Pro Tools.

The reason Pro Tools took control of the pro market in the US is because of how the audio editor works (the edit page IS the sample editor) so it is really flexible.

Also, guaranteed DSP.
    It is less of an issue now but I record with lower latency with HDX than I can with a native system and native systems fall over more when they are at the ragged edge of performance. With HDX you know exactly how much processing is on tap.

But Studio One is neat, it is a natural follow on from Pro Tools because it shares many of the same key commands, so if you a Pro Tools user trying to get more into midi and writing with soft synths then it makes sense.
    I would argue Logic is more powerful for songwriting and arrangement though.

But you can work in most DAW's an acceptable degree.
    Pro Tools has a natural home in audio-post, dolby Atmos and the like- I don't see that changing anytime soon.

At the hobbiest end there is more variation.
    The best DAW is the one you have and the one you know best.
    I've had to force myself to use Pro Tools at times because I naturally gravitate towards Logic, I've been using it for almost 30 years and I'm really fast with it.
    The reason I forced myself is I need to be sharing audio with people and they all use Pro Tools.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So one question. You mentioned that the imac worked kind ok, did you not think about holding off a year or so and see if the price dropped. Buying so close to launch almost guarantees that you pay over the odds doesnt it? Then i guess its apple so they command premium price points for much longer in their product lifecycle. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    So one question. You mentioned that the imac worked kind ok, did you not think about holding off a year or so and see if the price dropped. Buying so close to launch almost guarantees that you pay over the odds doesnt it? Then i guess its apple so they command premium price points for much longer in their product lifecycle. 
    I didn't.
    Apple don't really lower prices in that way.
    Certainly not in the first year.
    They didn't lower the price of the last Mac Pro until is was well and truly out of date.

Over the odds is relative- if you really want to save money then building an i9 PC workstation is the way to go.
    But you lose access to the Mac OS unless you want to do Hackintosh, which means you are then into a completely different game of 'making it work'.

It is an expensive machine but not more than the audio interface I use (48 channels via HDX) or the monitoring.
    It is a tax write down and I won't think about buying another main studio computer now until 2025 at the earliest, maybe even 2027.
    If I get through to 2025 then it is about £4.8 a day, if 2027 then about £3.40.

I've got no regrets at all- it is blazingly fast for what I'm doing.
    I wrote more thing:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/2020/2/18/dante-for-the-small-to-medium-sized-studio

This is an article about who to use Audio over IP in a recording studio.
    Some folks here might find it useful.