Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Phil X moves to Gibson

What's Hot

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    DrBob said:
    I think this is cool, Phil X loves single pickup guitars, Epiphone have just sorted out their headstock, the convergence of the two could be awesome 
    I don't see him endorsing Epiphone. I think if he's going to Gibson he's gonna be using Gibsons. But I could be wrong! 
    I guess the first round will be Gibson and possibly Gibson but I’m just hoping they might do a cheaper line as well further down the line 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    edited January 2020
    DrBob said:
    DrBob said:
    I think this is cool, Phil X loves single pickup guitars, Epiphone have just sorted out their headstock, the convergence of the two could be awesome 
    I don't see him endorsing Epiphone. I think if he's going to Gibson he's gonna be using Gibsons. But I could be wrong! 
    I guess the first round will be Gibson and possibly Gibson but I’m just hoping they might do a cheaper line as well further down the line 
    Oh is he getting a Signature model too or just using them? 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    ESBlonde said:
    I wonder if this is the work of 'Mr. Aurfentic' who I note has posted a new yootoob vid of him and his buddy Dave Amato in the last few days.

Oh to have trunks packed with highly collectable guitars you haven't opened for at least ten years.

Love the bit at 14:45.

"I called the store every day and begged them to sell me this guitar. I said please you've got to sell me this guitar, but they said they couldn't. Whats the problem with it? It had a knot in the wood in the top. I said it doesn't matter! So they smoothed it out a bit, sold it to me, I put it in this warehouse and I've never looked at it again since. Great guitar, man. Needed to have it".
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    DrBob said:
    DrBob said:
    He has a full fat sig coming with his sig pick ups and he said in the pod cast that he wanted an affordable Epi version to be put out 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    rsvmark said:
    DrBob said:
    DrBob said:
    He has a full fat sig coming with his sig pick ups and he said in the pod cast that he wanted an affordable Epi version to be put out 
    Oh lord that’s me in trouble then 
  • This guy is a salesman's dream 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    I dont really care what an artist plays, as I know which brands I like, so thats what I'd buy. 

I like Hetfield and Hammett, and have bought a signature from both because Esp is a brand I like and both guitars appeal visually and have specs I want. 

I don't get on with Epiphones or Gibsons so obviously wouldnt buy one if thats what they played. 

Saying that, the 2 Snakebytes I got were shitty quality, so both went back. 
    Which was highly disappointing. 

The £500 cheaper ec-1000 is better in terms of build and qc, but could still do with a decent set up. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Thanks for the heads-up on the latest NGIS, I really enjoyed it (as I usually do).

Amidst all the Gibson bashing (easy target), it should be mentioned that Framus also has a reputation that is not unblemished.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    Good on him, he's a talented fellow.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • He has a love of the vintage 60s batwing SG he bought some time ago, so it’s great to see him as a Gibson fan becoming an endorser 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    I’m happy for him if he’s getting some more cash whilst living his dream. He’s been around as a monster player since the 80’s and at 50 odd years of age he’s made it to the top. What a great result. 

What ever happened to his Evil Robot amps? I quite liked the C30. I never did try one of the more spendy versions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    Can’t blame him a Gibson endorsement is a step up in brand even if the Framus are better made. Plus  he is pretty savvy he knows his stock is pretty much peaked. The Bon jovi gig is high profile but when that dies his full time gig is a c list band and you tube take the wins when they come along.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Can’t blame him a Gibson endorsement is a step up in brand even if the Framus are better made. Plus  he is pretty savvy he knows his stock is pretty much peaked. The Bon jovi gig is high profile but when that dies his full time gig is a c list band and you tube take when they come along.
    He'll continue to make a good living from session work and teaching but you're right about the Drills. I feel they're quite generic and I can't see them becoming bigger than they are. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited January 2020
    I don't like him at all although I don't deny he's talented - shame it's completely wasted in Bon Jovi.

But I don't blame him for switching to Gibson.  His Framus models were ugly things and it seemed like he was the only person in the world who actually owned any of them.  I'm interested to see what form his Gibson signature takes - an SG Junior would seem most likely, but maybe they'll do something different. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Is he a relative of Malcom X?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He can play for sure, but I found his frettedamericana videos to be kind of pointless. 

“We have here an all original 1959 custom colour Jazzmaster in Lake Placid Blue. Let’s play some over the top shred on it through a Marshall”

“This is an all original 1962 Gretsch Country Gent in immaculate condition. Did anyone ever wonder what this guitar would sound like if you were to play hi-gain shred on it? Well, wonder no longer ...”
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    He can play for sure, but I found his frettedamericana videos to be kind of pointless. 

“We have here an all original 1959 custom colour Jazzmaster in Lake Placid Blue. Let’s play some over the top shred on it through a Marshall”

“This is an all original 1962 Gretsch Country Gent in immaculate condition. Did anyone ever wonder what this guitar would sound like if you were to play hi-gain shred on it? Well, wonder no longer ...”
    That's why it was awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
     TeleMaster said:
    He can play for sure, but I found his frettedamericana videos to be kind of pointless. 

Yeah. Rather that than the usual ambient indie bollocks that accompanies jazzmasters :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
     TeleMaster said:

Yeah. Rather that than the usual ambient indie bollocks that accompanies jazzmasters :)
    Bollocks is in the ears of the beholder.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1067
    I guess he will be doing some SG Junior specials. Fair play to him,