Proud dad...

What's Hot
Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3019
edited January 2020 in Off Topic
Five years ago my eldest daughter started a term of guitar lessons at primary school. Me, being me, decided that it was a bit pointless getting a cheap horrible nylon strung guitar and instead found a s/h baby Taylor for her.

As expected, the lessons resulted in just about managing a one finger version of ‘Smoke on the water’ the lessons ended and the Taylor went back in the case.  I made a deliberate decision not to do the pushy guitarist dad thing and let it be, hoping that in time she would pick it up again on her own.

She’s now nearly 14 and over the last few months she’s picked it up again, on her own and started noodling about on the guitar.

Then two nights ago I heard her playing and singing in her bedroom. From out of nowhere she’s starting to sound really good. I actually felt a bit jealous that she could sing and play at the same time with some seemingly pretty sophisticated chord progressions.

It nearly brought a tear to my eye how happy it made me so I thought I’d share the  moment. Something I will treasure for a long time.
0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    Five years ago my eldest daughter started a term of guitar lessons at primary school. Me, being me, decided that it was a bit pointless getting a cheap horrible nylon strung guitar and instead found a s/h baby Taylor for her.

As expected, the lessons resulted in just about managing a one finger version of ‘Smoke on the water’ the lessons ended and the Taylor went back in the case.  I made a deliberate decision not to do the pushy guitarist dad thing and let it be, hoping that in time she would pick it up again on her own.

She’s now nearly 14 and over the last few months she’s picked it again, on her own and started noodling about on the guitar.

Then two nights ago I heard her playing and singing in her bedroom. From out of nowhere she’s starting to sound really good. I actually felt a bit jealous that she could sing and play at the same time with some seemingly pretty sophisticated chord progressions.

It nearly brought a tear to my eye how happy it made me so I thought I’d share the  moment. Something I will treasure for a long time.
    That's pretty much exactly how much it went with my daughter, she learned the basics then moved to piano and focussed on signing, after water rats and meeting other guitarists she opted for guitar again and is now playing and singing nirvana, adele, catfish and the bottlemen, tracy chapman etc.

Its also a great excuse for me to buy more gear!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Ahhh yes, I have been there. Lovely times!

My oldest daughter (18) plays many instruments now, although her main thing is piano. I remember her at around 12 years old pleased as punch as she had worked out the melody to Abba's Super Trooper. She took herself on a journey of self teaching, and I was stunned when a couple of years later she was playing things like Fur Elise, and various Manga themes. We sent her to lessons with a very good teacher and he said that she was very good and started her at grade 5 level. It totally inspired me and rekindled my interest in piano after some 20 years in the background. It is just a joy to hear her now, I particularly enjoy various studio Ghibli pieces that she has taught herself.

On the other hand ..... her younger sister wants to play, has lessons but just won't put the practice in.

My oldest son could be very good on guitar (he's into metal etc), but he hardly ever plays now. It's a shame as he has good ability. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3019
    edited January 2020
    munckee said:

She’s now nearly 14 and over the last few months she’s picked it again, on her own and started noodling about on the guitar.

That's pretty much exactly how much it went with my daughter, she learned the basics then moved to piano and focussed on signing, after water rats and meeting other guitarists she opted for guitar again and is now playing and singing nirvana, adele, catfish and the bottlemen, tracy chapman etc.

It’s great to hear that Water Rats has inspired her.  She was really brave to get up and sing in front of a load of old strangers. It’s pretty intimidating even for us old farts.

It’s such a great feeling knowing that something you love has had a positive affect on someone you love. It will be interesting to see where she goes with music as she has been taking drum lessons and plays a bit of keyboard and sings in a choir.

Kids can be a real struggle to cope with sometimes but it is moments like that which make it all worth it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Very cool.

My kid runs around screaming into the wrong end of an harmonica. Think she might be an accountant.

Bye!

7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Very cool.

My kid runs around screaming into the wrong end of an harmonica. Think she might be an accountant.

'Screaming into the wrong end of a harmonica'... looks like a great title for an autobiography.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Mine has a tin whistle that she likes to "play" in the morning. Early in the morning.. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    ace stuff
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Lovely stuff - brought a smile to my face. Thanks for sharing!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Very cool.

Speaking as an accountant, you're spot on. Some clients don't like it, though. Especially in meetings with their banks.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalf said:
    Very cool.

Speaking as an accountant, you're spot on. Some clients don't like it, though. Especially in meetings with their banks.
    When I need an accountant, you're first on my list.

Bye!

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    That sounds excellent, OP!

My daughter is like an extreme version of me. She stopped piano after grade 1, because she knew where all the notes were and could play them.

But then out of the blue I hear her vamping along to some Lana del Rey now and again. :)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited January 2020
    Wonderful stuff Jules and you're right to feel proud. Also, as we know, singing and playing at the same time ain't easy.

I think you were right to not do the pushy Dad thing and Mrs.KK, who's a singing and piano teacher, said the same. When we got our son a Roland drum kit, he wasn't that interested at first. However, after a few lessons where he could see results, he took off and whilst he didn't gravitate to guitar (he fancies bass, though) he has turned out to be a pretty fine drummer. 

If you haven't already done it, what'll really bring a tear to your eye is playing together or doing a gig.

Nice one
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6799
    munckee said:

Can she teach you to sing ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    I'm trying to get my 2 1/2 year old interested in guitars so I can convince the wife I need to buy her one (...several). Not working as I hoped.

Think the Mrs already knows what I'm up to....
  • Stevepage said:
    I'm trying to get my 2 1/2 year old interested in guitars so I can convince the wife I need to buy her one (...several). Not working as I hoped.

Think the Mrs already knows what I'm up to....
    There was an element of that when I got the Taylor.  It’s a great little guitar but I’m actually quite proud that I stopped myself mucking around on it so there was some separation between ‘hers’ and ‘mine’ so she had a sense of ownership of it.

I must admit, buying a Taylor for an 8 yr old seemed excessive at the time but the results now are starting to make me think it was worth the investment. Who knows, maybe she’ll still be playing it in 40 years time?

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Lovely tale. Nice one.

I bought my youngest son a junior drum kit when he was seven. He bashed about on it a bit and then lost interest. At secondary school he did a bit more and had some lessons but never took it seriously. I was careful not to be pushy, I think that’s absolutely key.

At 17 he really got into it and now he’s an amazing drummer, I mean really good. I’ve done lots of gigs with him too.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom