First Build - DC Junior

What's Hot

Comments

• Looking online seems a 12mm dia cutter, but I guess is depends on the p-up?

Good job on getting the pics up, much easier to see the great build pics so far!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    DC juniors are a great first build and they're lovely guitars to play, nice build so far

For the deeper part of the p90 route I'd make a template, if you use the straight edges of MDF in strips double side them down 1/2 apart that'll get the channel with a top bearing router cutter then mark out the bigger part and just use mdf blocks double sided down and use your router bit then you get a complete template, hope that makes sense, I also use this method for the p90, I just block round the actual cover but wrap some tape on it first so it's not too tight, obviously test fit your cover before cutting your body
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    PeteC said:
    What is the best way to get the classic P90 rout shape - with the deeper channel down the middle    

OK, that's perfectionism!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    TBH, I saw Neil's Ivison DC junior build thread and that inspired me to try incorporate some touches like the classic P90 rout 

Well today was the day my beginners luck ran out .....  suffered some significant end grain tear out when routing the final body shape.   Luckily it was right at the back end of the body close to where the strap button will be.   I had created a lot of sawdust and saved a couple of pots for such eventualities so I tried to make the best of it with a CA and wood dust repair. It’s come out darker than I would have liked but it’s not so bad and this guitar will get heavy use anyway.   Quite a learning experience.   I guess learning to template route takes a bit of practice !! 

Here is the bit I was using - wealden 2” shear.   I tried to only leave 2mm to route but it proved too much on the end grain !  

Onwards !   Fretboard work tomorrow ....
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Any tips on avoiding tear out next time ?  Body blanks are pricey !! 
  • Bums!!

I saw a good tip on Freddys Frets YT channel. Use a shorter follower bit so you take less off per pass. You can more safely do climb cuts that way and avoid tear out. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
     Use a shorter follower bit so you take less off per pass. You can more safely do climb cuts that way and avoid tear out. 
    I never try to take the whole thickness off in one pass - I'd normally reckon on at least 3 separate passes.

The downside of using multiple passes is that you can be left with marks where the cuts overlap, but that's an easy sanding job, or you could just run the 2" bit all the way round as you'd only be removing fractions of fractions of a mm. 

And then sand it.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • This is a good video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFp4GsnbxPs&list=PL_MmsedwJYjeFYeLNJMewXQwaAgV2aFN2&index=7&t=238s

The whole series on the Les Paul build is brilliant!

TTony said:
     Use a shorter follower bit so you take less off per pass. You can more safely do climb cuts that way and avoid tear out. 
    I never try to take the whole thickness off in one pass - I'd normally reckon on at least 3 separate passes
    Basically what I said.... take less per pass, ie not all in one hit ;)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader

Nice work Pete, looking good.

I have the same 2" cutter just got fairly recently, but haven't used it in the table yet. I did it hand-held, the router has a big plexi base. And snuck up on the endgrain bit by bit. The main problem was some freak static sending long shaving ribbons absolutely everywhere in the workshop, tops & sides of things, all corners.. bizarre..

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    tFB Trader

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    This thread is shaping up to be an epic! Really lovely work (with great detail for us to nerd out on!) and I totally love the idea of a completely hand built signal chain.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    edited January 2020 tFB Trader
    This is a good video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFp4GsnbxPs&list=PL_MmsedwJYjeFYeLNJMewXQwaAgV2aFN2&index=7&t=238s

The whole series on the Les Paul build is brilliant!

TTony said:
    I never try to take the whole thickness off in one pass - I'd normally reckon on at least 3 separate passes
    Basically what I said.... take less per pass, ie not all in one hit

My advice to anybody donot follow the advice in that video. The Golden rule in routing never ever cut with the spin of the router bit, always cut against the spin of the router. To cut with the spin of the router is so dangerous, if you're using a router table and go in the direction of the spin it will almost certainly rip the material out of your hand, if your hand routing and go with the spin you're likely to have the router ripped out your hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0moG-5Ct8g&t=22s

The first cut is with the 19mm cutter with a 22mm bearing, the second cut is with a 19mm cutter with a 19mm bearing 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• Definitely agree that cutting the whole thickness of the guitar body in one pass going with the spin of the router is dangerous, even if only removing 1mm at full height, it will almost certainly pull it from your hands. 

Climb cutting done safely works well, but you need to know what you're doing. In that vid he's removing a small amount of material, with a small cutter. There are times in routing where climb cutting is preferred in order to achieve a clean cut, but that said, your suggestion is really good and would also take less time!

Thanks guys.  In future I will try one of two approaches - the oversized bearings for the earlier passes, and then the 19mm, or I will use a smaller length template bit and work my way up the side of the body in stages rather than trying to do the whole depth of the side in one pass.  At the moment I don’t think I have a bit that will do that in my Trend router and router table but will look for one online tonight. 
    After the tear out repair I have been consoling myself by marking out the top for the P90 rout and the controls.   Tomorrow I am going to cut down the fretboard ready for gluing onto the neck and rout the pair to final size (hopefully with no damage!) 
    more pics to follow. 
  • Wicked Pete, really looking forward to the pics! 

I must admit I did attempt a climb cut at full body thickness (38mm on mine) at 2mm ish depth of cut and it pulled it out of my hands, so do not try that!! Whiteside do "the ultimate flush cut" cutter, which is madly expensive, but works very well going against the grain. I bought one for the workshop, but it's now sadly worn out. 

What P90's are you going for?

BigMonka said:
    This thread is shaping up to be an epic! Really lovely work (with great detail for us to nerd out on!) and I totally love the idea of a completely hand built signal chain.
    Cheers,   I will keep documenting the build.  Keen to do a vid of the guitar with some diy amps when it’s finished.  
    Wicked Pete, really looking forward to the pics! 

I must admit I did attempt a climb cut at full body thickness (38mm on mine) at 2mm ish depth of cut and it pulled it out of my hands, so do not try that!! Whiteside do "the ultimate flush cut" cutter, which is madly expensive, but works very well going against the grain. I bought one for the workshop, but it's now sadly worn out. 

What P90's are you going for?
    Cheers !  Single P90 which I have had for quite a while - Oil City Firewatch. Dogear   Inspired by Neil’s excellent dc build thread.   

Gratuitous pics of the single piece body grain pattern 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bit of positive progress on my day off today.    Cut the fretboard down to rough size on the bandsaw and routed the fretboard with the neck as a template - getting a nice smooth finish on the board to neck join.  Had to use a simple jig to hold the neck at true perpendicular to the router as I had already raduised the board (learning point for the future ! )      Decided to re-radius the board as I wasn’t happy with the slight curve in the length of the board - which was due to a longitudinal curvature in my diy radius block.  Solution was simply to halve the length(20”) of the radius block down to 10” - which has halved the error !  Seems to be levelling the board really well - just not sure when I should stop !!! 

Next to drill the tuner holes and start routing the body cavities .  Can’t wait to play with my recently acquired and refurbished Fobco Star bench drill. 

That’s it for now.   Rest of life calls.......
    Pete.   

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom