Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Epiphone 2020 - new headstock

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11740
    No news yet on the use or otherwise of Hide Glue I see.....?  ;)

Last Epiphone I tried in a shop had a nut that looked like it was cut by Stevie Wonder, that bothers me more than the headstock.

As others have said, horses for courses.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited January 2020
    Seems to me this all makes much better sense to have a Core line to mirror the Gibson USA line and get rid of the horrible faded and Tribute USA models which in my opinion devalue the Core models. Its a similar case with PRS at the moment I cant see why they are bringing out new S2 versions of core models when they could get rid of the S2 range altogether and just have the SE and Core Ranges alongside each other. The SE Pauls guitar for instance has done well as will the SE Hollowbody.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 769
    No news yet on the use or otherwise of Hide Glue I see.....?  ;)

Last Epiphone I tried in a shop had a nut that looked like it was cut by Stevie Wonder, that bothers me more than the headstock.

As others have said, horses for courses.
    I wish I still had a picture of the 2018 Gibson Les Paul Classic I bought a few years ago, the E string was almost hanging off the side of the fretboard.  It went straight back to Gibson and the whole guitar was deemed irreparable in the end. So this pleasure is not only reserved for Epiphone owners!

At least the new Epiphone line are using Graphtech nuts, I've no idea whether this means the cutting of the nut will be any more accurate. Will just have to wait and see whether the quality component additions add up to a big change.  
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26869
    mbe said:
    rossi said:
    mbe said:
    What am I supposed to do with my old Epiphone?

Is it just firewood now?

It always was  my dear ;)
    Snob! :o
    You could actually make an argument it's not even good for firewood, as the fumes from the plastic finish will give you cancer ;) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9575
    edited January 2020

I find the widespread and relieved acceptance that these are getting due to the minor change in headstock puzzling - it's not the same shape as a Gibson, which is what the headstock-whiners seemed to want. They're still blockboard bodies under the veneer, I'm not convinced that they use the term "mahogany" in its strictest sense, and they're still coated in thick, hard plastic. I have an Epi LP (and have had a Dot and a Sheraton in the past) and they're decent guitars once you sort the likely neck/fret/electrics problems... but a minor change in headstock doesn't make me want a new one.

The ebony fretboards on the Customs are good though - an Epi LP Cutsom with a pale "rosewood" neck looked far more wrong to me than the shape of the headstock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I find the widespread and relieved acceptance that these are getting due to the minor change in headstock puzzling - it's not the same shape as a Gibson, which is what the headstock-whiners seemed to want. They're still blockboard bodies under the veneer, I'm not convinced that they use the term "mahogany" in its strictest sense, and they're still coated in thick, hard plastic. I have an Epi LP (and have had a Dot and a Sheraton in the past) and they're decent guitars once you sort the likely neck/fret/electrics problems... but a minor change in headstock doesn't make me want a new one.

The ebony fretboards on the Customs are good though - an Epi LP Cutsom with a pale "rosewood" neck looked far more wrong to me than the shape of the headstock!

Some very good points, they've brought in CTS pots for some models which is a superb addition. 

I agree about the Mahogany issue as well, when I routed my Epi Bjorn Gelotte LPC for CTS pots it did not seem like Mahogany!  The finish as well, is solid plastic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited January 2020

I find the widespread and relieved acceptance that these are getting due to the minor change in headstock puzzling - it's not the same shape as a Gibson, which is what the headstock-whiners seemed to want. They're still blockboard bodies under the veneer, I'm not convinced that they use the term "mahogany" in its strictest sense, and they're still coated in thick, hard plastic. I have an Epi LP (and have had a Dot and a Sheraton in the past) and they're decent guitars once you sort the likely neck/fret/electrics problems... but a minor change in headstock doesn't make me want a new one.

Some very good points, they've brought in CTS pots for some models which is a superb addition. 

I agree about the Mahogany issue as well, when I routed my Epi Bjorn Gelotte LPC for CTS pots it did not seem like Mahogany!  The finish as well, is solid plastic.
    I generally agree, for me the headstock change doesn't make me want one, rather it doesn't make me NOT want one- which was the case with the "clipped" ones, I thought those looked clumsy & preferred the Vintage or even Harley Benton headstocks.

Upon closer inspection it's the Firebird that interests me most, which isn't affected by the headstock change.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 769

Are they still using veneers on these new models though?  If you look at the specs of the new 50's standard I think theirs more to the fanfare than a headstock change: https://www.epiphone.com/Guitar/EPI8IH60/Les-Paul-Standard-50s/Metallic-Gold

Mahogany body with maple top, graph tech nut, long tenon neck joint, CTS pots with 50's wiring, 59 shaped neck with rolled edges.  I don't think it's a surprise at all why people are excited to play one of these when you look at the detail. 

Of course the proof will come when they reach the publics hands, until then many will judge them on previous years quality. 

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31451

I've routed two Epiphones, a Bonamassa Firebird and a G400. The Firebird was a weird, soft, possibly mahogany related wood and the "mahogany" G400 was the weirdest stuff I've ever seen, almost like a packing crate pine which had been in a soaking wet ditch for years.

In fact, I started to strip the finish off that one until I realised that the guitar WAS the finish. It was a thick, hard shell with a soft, goopy interior - it was constructed exactly like a Smartie. When I routed it it didn't even smell like wood, at least the Bonamassa did. 

Curiously, and contrary to expectations, the G400 was rock solid and sounded awesome once I changed the pickups, though not particularly like an SG. The Bonamassa, despite the 9-piece construction and through neck never stabilised at all so I flogged it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    edited January 2020
    I played a load of these yesterday, they’re nice but still feel very “Epiphone” and not as nice as the Gibson counterpart. Think it’s the edge of the fingerboard, it’s not as rounded on the epi. I went over to PRS afterwards and the SE and S2 series felt as good/better than the USA Gibson guitars. So despite my initial excitement I’m back on the PRS wagon. I did like the Pelham blue sg special though.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    TTBZ said:
    I played a load of these yesterday, they’re nice but still feel very “Epiphone” and not as nice as the Gibson counterpart. Think it’s the edge of the fingerboard, it’s not as rounded on the epi. I went over to PRS afterwards and the SE and S2 series felt as good/better than the USA Gibson guitars. So despite my initial excitement I’m back on the PRS wagon. I did like the Pelham blue sg special though.
    Mr PRS SE is without question nicer quality than any Gibson I've played but that doesn't include anything over the "Standard" model or anything pre-80s.
  • p90fool said:

I've routed two Epiphones, a Bonamassa Firebird and a G400. The Firebird was a weird, soft, possibly mahogany related wood and the "mahogany" G400 was the weirdest stuff I've ever seen, almost like a packing crate pine which had been in a soaking wet ditch for years.

In fact, I started to strip the finish off that one until I realised that the guitar WAS the finish. It was a thick, hard shell with a soft, goopy interior - it was constructed exactly like a Smartie. When I routed it it didn't even smell like wood, at least the Bonamassa did. 

Curiously, and contrary to expectations, the G400 was rock solid and sounded awesome once I changed the pickups, though not particularly like an SG. The Bonamassa, despite the 9-piece construction and through neck never stabilised at all so I flogged it. 

Your experiences/observations could be the same for my Epi LPC!  It came with EMG's which I wasn't a fan of and put in some Mojo SC HB's (kind of like P90's) and after a fair amount of work the guitar plays really well and even though it has a questionable construction it still manages to sound pretty good.  I took the guitar to Darren off this forum and ended up comparing to one of his guitars, and his guitars he made were clearly made from proper wood whilst mine wasn't! 

I'd not spend £600 on some of the higher end Epi's, but a Gibson instead eg instead of the £600 Epi Firebird, right now it's possible to get a Gibson Firebird from Thomann for the same price.
  • I've got two stripped Epis and can confirm there's not a lot of guitar left once you take the finish off.

If I'd been able to get a P90 wrap around bridge SG in Pelham Blue for £350 back when I did them I probably would have just got that.
    Colour me interested.

Also don't care about headstock shape, in case you asked.
    p90fool said:

Your experiences/observations could be the same for my Epi LPC!  It came with EMG's which I wasn't a fan of and put in some Mojo SC HB's (kind of like P90's) and after a fair amount of work the guitar plays really well and even though it has a questionable construction it still manages to sound pretty good.  I took the guitar to Darren off this forum and ended up comparing to one of his guitars, and his guitars he made were clearly made from proper wood whilst mine wasn't! 

I'd not spend £600 on some of the higher end Epi's, but a Gibson instead eg instead of the £600 Epi Firebird, right now it's possible to get a Gibson Firebird from Thomann for the same price.
    I should probably add by way of balance that the Epi Explorer I bought from @grungebob a while back remains one of my favourite guitars, and although it comes to every gig as my backup I often leave it on and use for a set after tuning up. 
    I'm sure there's debate about what constitutes "real" korina and it's definitely a veneered multi piece body, but it certainly works and sounds huge with a 498T in it.  
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3319
    p90fool said:
    p90fool said:

I should probably add by way of balance that the Epi Explorer I bought from @grungebob a while back remains one of my favourite guitars, and although it comes to every gig as my backup I often leave it on and use for a set after tuning up. 
    I'm sure there's debate about what constitutes "real" korina and it's definitely a veneered multi piece body, but it certainly works and sounds huge with a 498T in it.  
    Glad you like it still. It has a very playable neck and despite being multi pieces resonates really well. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9575
    As with most guitar adverts, naming the wood does not mean that it’s solid wood. Far-Eastern acoustics described as “mahogany back and sides” means that it’s laminate, otherwise they’d prefix it with “solid”. Similarly with these Epis - they’re not going to point out to you that the back is veneered blockboard. You have to look for joins on the edges to see what’s going on.

These new ones look like a continuation of the higher-end LPs which Epiphone have marketed around the £550 mark, like the Tribute Plus I have - “long” neck joint, full thickness maple cap under the veneer, decent Switchcraft/CTS electrics (and Gibson Classic 57 pickups). But the back is five pieces, with joins at about 30 degrees to the length!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11740
    Just wartching the Andertons video on the new Gibby and Epi range.  Looks the dogs balls.

Loving the Epi "prophecy" series. 

Sadly feel if I did have another LP it would need to become an R8 bitch rather than another Epi, but it's a great time to be buying new gear!

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • I have a 2015 Sheraton, should I have been upset with the headstock??? 
    I have a 2015 Sheraton, should I have been upset with the headstock??? 
    I don't think anyone has ever had an issue with original Epiphone models having Epiphone headstocks, but they do jar a bit on Les Pauls and SGs. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3434
    edited January 2020

You mean unlike that Sapele , aghem , African Mahogany that Gibson use?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.