Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Epiphone 2020 - new headstock

What's Hot

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    thegummy said:
    TTBZ said:
    I played a load of these yesterday, they’re nice but still feel very “Epiphone” and not as nice as the Gibson counterpart. Think it’s the edge of the fingerboard, it’s not as rounded on the epi. I went over to PRS afterwards and the SE and S2 series felt as good/better than the USA Gibson guitars. So despite my initial excitement I’m back on the PRS wagon. I did like the Pelham blue sg special though.
    Mr PRS SE is without question nicer quality than any Gibson I've played but that doesn't include anything over the "Standard" model or anything pre-80s.
    Yeah, I had a go on some more PRS guitars today and I think my mind is made up! I just wish there was an SE McCarty with dots. The new S2 594 is really really nice though, it’s on my list!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
    Just seen that they’re also offering an Epiphone Les Paul Modern from the Gibson range too, Ebony board on that as well as the Customs.

Looks like things are changing for the better and it’s definitely more than a new headstock shape.

They should also get some old Epiphones back in there too though, I would really like to see a 60s spec Riviera back in the line up. And sort the Sheraton out too! They basically made the Sheraton accurate a few years back but only offered it with a f*cking Union Jack on it!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    An affordable TV yellow LP Special ticks a lot of boxes for me, especially with proper CTS pots. I'll be interested to see some proper reviews of these.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited January 2020

A demo from Andertons
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 600
    The Muse series actually look like Les Pauls I could actually like! Always liked the idea, never found them comfortable. Actually comes across like they are taking Epiphone seriously and thinking about those of us who can't drop a couple of grand on a guitar.
  • £349...
    https://peachguitars.2dimg.com/114/thumbnail-sg-special-p-90-blue-18359-2_cd75be966d.jpg

I like it, and the LP special, and the Firebird. 

Where's the LP jr though? 
    Yeah, ok. Want. 
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    Less about the headstocks, where on Earth is the information about the new Prophecy series!

Those finishes and specs look awesome to me but the only sight or sound I've seen of them are a brief overlook in the Andertons video. No other mention in any one else's NAMM coverage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Admittedly it's benefiting from some great photography but how nice does this look:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Must admit I do quite fancy that LP Jr especially at these prices :)
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Amazing how much a little detail makes bugger all difference to anything but the look.
    Agreed but the 'look' is important to many people (inc me!).

I will be going for one of these at some point.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I won't pre order cause I want to try the necks first but I could easily see me buying a junior and a special at those prices.  
    edited January 2020
    The neck of the custom felt like a nice profile, somewhere between a slim taper and 50s without the harder shoulder of the D shape on the old Standard/Custom Pro. Definitely not as skinny as Vintage or the old standard Epiphone range. Just wish the edge of the binding was rolled or at least softened a bit, is that something that could be easily done by a pro during setup or would it need re-binding?
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 761
    TTBZ said:
    The neck of the custom felt like a nice profile, somewhere between a slim taper and 50s without the harder shoulder of the D shape on the old Standard/Custom Pro. Definitely not as skinny as Vintage or the old standard Epiphone range. Just wish the edge of the binding was rolled or at least softened a bit, is that something that could be easily done by a pro during setup or would it need re-binding?
    Haven't they been proudly promoting the rolled edges on these new models in the Namm videos? I guess that wasn't your experience though.
    edited January 2020
    It definitely didn’t feel like it on the ones I played. Going back to a Gibson and my SG at home felt a lot smoother. I suppose there has to be a differentiator between the two brands still. Just a shame as I thought I was getting one of the Customs for sure but it just didn’t wow me or have a special feeling like some other guitars have.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I watched the Andertons video with the Lp modern and the '59' I started to gas hard for the '59' I suppose its a guitar type I've always wanted. Now as I'm a practical person it encouraged me to play my PRS santana, my tele is just my go to electric, gas gone the PRS is still as stunning as when I bought it - May still want the Les Paul but really just for vanity on the cheapish ;)
  • I couldn't give 2 turds about the headstock but a Les Paul Junior P90 with a set neck for just over £300? https://www.epiphone.com/Guitar/EPI8U8980/Les-Paul-Junior/Tobacco-Burst

I'm totally sold and will be pre ordering just as soon as I sell my current Epiphone, link below if you're interested. ;)

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/171384/fs-ft-2007-epiphone-les-paul-studio-220#latest
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 761
    Looks like a few stored are already taking delivery of some models.  Peach have photographed a Les Paul and a few SG's.  All look the part at least,not so keen on the 61 SG stripey grain though, kills the look for me.  The SG custom and special look great though.
  • Not a new headstock but this might be my favourite new Epi they've released on spec at least

Ebony fingerboard and comes with Alnico 2 Firebird pickups
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom