CIJ Jazzmaster upgrade recommendations

What's Hot
Hi guys,

I'm giving my long loved CIJ an MOT.

I swapped the pups out for creamery pickups, what are the other best upgrades I can do to it?

Many thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Mastery Bridge upgrade, bullet proof and rattle free
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    They're well pricey! Hmmm is there anything that cuts the mustard for less?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Staytrem bridge, arm and collet set plus the tubing inserts for the bridge pivot screws. (If these are still available.)

On the tailpiece, deburr the string anchor holes from the side further from the neck.

Pot and jack socket upgrades. i.e. CTS and Switchcraft, respectively.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    @funkfingers which do you think are the best pots, 1 meg, 500k?
    @funkfingers

https://www.lollarguitars.com/blog/2018/06/the-mystery-of-the-59-jazzmaster-tone/

Just read this and thought it was pretty interesting. Turned out they put 250k pots in
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 535
    edited January 2020
    Blimey.
    You spend a chunk on a guitar and then another chunk on making it a good guitar.

Have I missed something?
    Why don't Fender lean in a little and make it a good guitar. 

I say this as I am gassing for a CIJ Jazzy but feel it's not value so may just go USA and save a chunk.
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Rich210 said:
    @funkfingers which do you think are the best pots, 1 meg, 500k?
    Difficult to answer without hearing the instrument in question. If The Creamery recommends A500k, begin with those.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    FastEddie said:
    Blimey.
    You spend a chunk on a guitar and then another chunk on making it a good guitar.

Have I missed something?
    Why don't Fender lean in a little and make it a good guitar. 

I say this as I am gassing for a CIJ Jazzy but feel it's not value so may just go USA and save a chunk.

The USA models have the same bridge issues but better electronics 
    @FastEddie ;I've had this guitar for nearly 20 years, so I'll do what I want frankly. It sounds good with the creamery pickups - far better than American jazzmasters I've played with on the shop floor, it's part of me, and while it's currently on the bench I'll treat myself to some worthwhile mods and upgrades. It's not a guitar that's going to be for sale.

The pickups are a second to non upgrade a few years ago, and it's a very comfy guitar for me so I'll spend my money on refining it where I want. This isn't a thread on critiquing what I'm doing so if you've not got anything useful to say I suggest you create another thread that's appropriate to your point. If you do have a suggestion on an appropriate upgrade or mod then please bring it. 

If you stumble across a guitar you like when you're 14 for not much money and have it untill you've got a bit more money and reliable people that can advise on making it a better instrument then I suggest you do that.

@Funkfingers good shout man! I'll drop jaime an email as he put them in years ago.

• I've had my '86 MIJ Jazzmaster since 1992. It always played very well, sounded nice and was a guitar I bonded with, but felt there was room for improvement.

I fitted a pair of Mojo pickups and a Staytrem bridge, taking the opportunity to shield the cavity at the same time. These mods transformed an already very nice instrument into something that I think is extraordinary. I've never played a better guitar.

As you have discovered, the pickup upgrade is pretty much essential for a Japanese Jazzmaster, but the Staytrem takes care of the other niggles. The string spacing makes choking less likely, it's easier to set up, there's no rattles and everything stays put. One has to wonder why Fender doesn't buy the rights to  Staytrem!

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 535
    Rich210 said:
    @FastEddie ;I've had this guitar for nearly 20 years, so I'll do what I want frankly. It sounds good with the creamery pickups - far better than American jazzmasters I've played with on the shop floor, it's part of me, and while it's currently on the bench I'll treat myself to some worthwhile mods and upgrades. It's not a guitar that's going to be for sale.

The pickups are a second to non upgrade a few years ago, and it's a very comfy guitar for me so I'll spend my money on refining it where I want. This isn't a thread on critiquing what I'm doing so if you've not got anything useful to say I suggest you create another thread that's appropriate to your point. If you do have a suggestion on an appropriate upgrade or mod then please bring it. 

If you stumble across a guitar you like when you're 14 for not much money and have it untill you've got a bit more money and reliable people that can advise on making it a better instrument then I suggest you do that.

Calm down fella.
    You ought to have said that you'd had it for a chunk of time.
    My point is valid for a new guitar which is the way your post led me to think.

No need to start throwing bricks.
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    edited January 2020
    @FastEddie ;I did say my long loved jazzmaster in the initial post...anyway granted I did feel a bit shirty, I thought you were just being a bit trolly. Apologies.

Judging by @lasermonkey they are decent guitars if you can find CIJ for the right money do it and bring it up to spec... definitely swap the pickups and the bridge...the pots might be a luxury really cos you can get your tone through an EQ pedal. Probably budget for about £250 for new pups and the bridge.

It doesn't sustain anywhere near as good as my G&L Doheny...the frets are vintage and the bridge...let's face it...is crap. But I've got a new staytrem on route and with a pro setup I'm hoping it improves! Give it a few years I might give it a refret! 

Just an update on the modifications!

I went with the stay trem bridge with the nylon inserts, CTS pots (500k)  and Switchcraftand jack socket, and a vichey cap on the tone pot. Also put some Burly strings on it. 

Overall I'm really pleased, no more crackly pots insert jack, smoother tone and Steve at manchester guitar tech did a great job on the setup. Really happy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom