Angled 4x12 without the bottom-half baffle?

I’m getting ready to reassemble my 4x12 cab after bringing it back to the wood. As the baffle is in two halves and I only plan to mount the top two speakers, I could just mount the top half and leave the bottom open (a rather large port if you will). This would require putting the new grill cloth directly on the cab instead of the baffles (the current basket weave effectively holds the two baffles together). 
Before I test this out, any thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    That will produce what's called a 'de-tuned' cabinet - usually done by just leaving the bottom two speaker holes empty, but it will be even more so with no baffle at all. It gives more of the sound of an open-back cab, but with all the sound directed forward instead of half of it going backwards.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    ICBM said:
    That will produce what's called a 'de-tuned' cabinet - usually done by just leaving the bottom two speaker holes empty, but it will be even more so with no baffle at all. It gives more of the sound of an open-back cab, but with all the sound directed forward instead of half of it going backwards.
    I’ve just read up on the detuned cabs you mentioned. It’ll be interesting to see the effect. I expect an extended bass response which may not help. When I was working away with a hammer and chisel to release a stubborn brace, the ringing in my ears was painful. Amazing just how much sound is amplified by a box. Perhaps I’ll luck out with the bright goodmans 50 watt speakers. 

ICBM said:
    I suspect one reason that a cab is not left entirely open is to prevent the grill cloth flapping (however taut it is) and risking rips. 
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    I run a 4x12 like this, speakers in the top, empty baffles at the bottom. I was curious to try it, and wasn't expecting great things but it sounds very very good. It retains all the nice low end punch, but projects really well and fills the room.

I'm going to keep both baffles and leave the bottom row without speakers like @nick79 did. I'm looking forward to this experiment.
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    You could even try experimenting with partially closed holes to put some air loading on the speakers and create “ports” which will change the bass response of the cabinet too.   Just don’t put any pricey ribbon mics right in front of them at high volume !