Has anyone tried the Ed o'brien strat?

What's Hot
It looks great on the you tube videos and I really like the idea of the sustainer.

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Huge neck though, I mean proper full on baseball bat size :(
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3132
    The neck is the best bit imo. The sustainer was fun, but a bit of a one trick pony and as a result the pickups end up being a bit average. It has the potential to be a great strat, just has a little way to go still. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I've tried one, the neck is fat as hell but that would be ok if it wasn't so glossy. It would probably rub down with a it if work. I quite like the neck on the Gretsch Rancher and it reminded me of that but with fly paper added. 

I liked the pickups, all of them. There is one in the classified section at the moment going for a really good price. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    The neck made it a non starter for, it was as bad as the original version of the EJ Strat ie unpleasant and frankly rubbish imho, if I could get one for £300 or so I’d get a new neck
  • They seem to pop up fairly regularly in the buy/sell so I guess owners either can't get on with the neck or find the sustainer a bit of a gimmick that they soon tire of.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7082
    They seem to pop up fairly regularly in the buy/sell so I guess owners either can't get on with the neck or find the sustainer a bit of a gimmick that they soon tire of.
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/171563/fs-fender-mij-aerodyne-stratocaster-and-fender-ed-o-brien-sustainer-stratocaster#latest

yup

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• I have one.  BAseball bat neck???????dude pick up a fin les Paul !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7082
    I love big necks, Sustainers and Strats. Maybe I should buy one?

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Has Ed O'Brien tried the Ed O'Brien strat?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Has Ed O'Brien tried the Ed O'Brien strat?
    Uhh, yeah?

https://youtu.be/n-qq8RvFscY
  • The Edge uses one. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    All the media sieve of your actual finger hitting the string. I knew there was something missing from my regular guitars....
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 882
    edited January 2020
    The neck does put me off.  But wish I could try one before buying

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    edited January 2020
    The Edge uses one. 
    I'm pretty sure his is just an Edge Strat with sustainer fitted (big headstock, jackplate, etc) It's certainly not a boggo EOB Strat. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Mr_HMr_H Frets: 6
    I have one.  It's got a very fat neck on it but it's comfortable and the sustainer's a lot of fun.  I don't get why people would described the sustainer as a one trick pony though.  Vai, The Edge, Ed O'Brien, Fripp, Belew all use one and the only common thread is they're great at incorporating them into their playing
  • Mr_HMr_H Frets: 6
    Fuengi said:
    I've tried one, the neck is fat as hell but that would be ok if it wasn't so glossy. It would probably rub down with a it if work. I quite like the neck on the Gretsch Rancher and it reminded me of that but with fly paper added. 

I liked the pickups, all of them. There is one in the classified section at the moment going for a really good price. 
    Just in case anyone wonders, it's a satin neck rather than glossy but you might want to sand it down (I don't)
  • The Edge uses one. 
    I'm pretty sure his is just an Edge Strat with sustainer fitted (big headstock, jackplate, etc) It's certainly not a boggo EOB Strat. 

I reckon this is a EOB from the Experience + Innocence tour though. 

https://imgur.com/a/svibVqY

• The Edge uses one. 

the lead socket is in the wrong place- its probably a fender special for dave

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    The Edge uses one. 

the lead socket is in the wrong place- its probably a fender special for dave

That jack socket is the same as an EOB, and the right finish & neck but the looks, so EOB confirmed. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    I had a Fernandes sustainer strat about 15 years ago. pickups were crap, and the preamp was noisy
    I added a Kinman, and that helped, but it was still a cheapy guitar underneath
    I had a Ravelle too at one point, didn't like that much.

MIchael Brook made "infinite guitars" decades ago, I think the Edge had one, and Daniel Lanois, nothing new here, and the sustainiac was around in the 80s too I think. I'm sure he's had loads of replacements built since, rather than just waiting for EOB to join the party

If the Fender EOB one has a quieter signal path out it would be good. HB on bridge is probably a good idea
    Is the bridge pickup output passive, or through a preamp?

I can't remember the clean sustained sound being great on my Fernandes one, but the EOB demo video sounds OK

How good is the neck anyway? I mean this is a Mex strat, so I'm not sure what level of quality this one is.