The small things you miss from days gone by ...

What's Hot

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Old Jamaica rum & raisin chocolate bars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    Proper Chinese takeaway sweet and sour sauce with strips of carrot and a chunk of pineapple in it that tasted spicy rather than the sweet sickly orange jelly you get these days

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3443
    Bod.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    randella said:
    The slow trickle of new music.  I dunno, streaming's great and all, but I remember getting one album and rinsing it instead of mindlessly flicking through billions upon billions of choices.

I'll never forget seeing Motorhead for the first time in that Young Ones episode, pretty much wore out the VHS tape :)

I suppose it's just what you grow up with.
    I feel that way more about films. They used to be in the cinema, then a year later on vhs, then another couple of years before going on TV.  TV premier was a big deal!
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24287
    The 'knocker-upper'.  Used to come down the street and get everyone up in the morning....

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2020
    merlin said:
    Sassafras said:
    Proper cannabis resin.
    I used to enjoy a relaxing smoke of red or gold Leb in the evening. All you can get now is that filthy skunk crap.
    I remember my dealer having three or four kinds of different combustible loveliness. Rocky that was compressed pollen, red and/or yellow Leb, some grass, occasionally Thai sticks, sticky black that was charas, temple balls..... 

Those would have been the days, if I could remember them. 
    Knowing now what I didn't know then, that Black stuff was Afghan, Rocky was mostly plant matter, temple balls should have had opium in them, Thai was seeded so not sensi and most other things was just slate. Thai was my most favourite smoke though.

I dont miss finding lead, plastic, ground up vinyl records and what ever else in solids though, although today we have grit weed, ground up glass!
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

The pace of life.

Being so into a film that it affected the way you dressed and everything you did (Back to the Future).

Just being with your mates wondering what to do next.

Finding wank mags in a bin liner chucked in the bushes in the woods.

Not paying bills.

Hope.

robgilmo said:
    merlin said:
    Sassafras said:
    Proper cannabis resin.
    I used to enjoy a relaxing smoke of red or gold Leb in the evening. All you can get now is that filthy skunk crap.
    I remember my dealer having three or four kinds of different combustible loveliness. Rocky that was compressed pollen, red and/or yellow Leb, some grass, occasionally Thai sticks, sticky black that was charas, temple balls..... 

Those would have been the days, if I could remember them. 
    Knowing now what I didn't know then, that Black stuff was Afghan, Rocky was mostly plant matter, temple balls should have had opium in them, Thai was seeded so not sensi and most other things was just slate. Thai was my most favourite smoke though.

• People riding bicycles in ordinary clothes,

You never see an old man sitting on a park bench peeling an apple with a pen knife these days, was a regular sight in my youth.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Hats.
    Everyone wore hats. Proper hats, not stupid beanies indoors.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    prowla said:
    Old Jamaica rum & raisin chocolate bars.
    They are reissuing that this year. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4694
    merlin said:
    The only STDs being gonorrhoea and syphilis. Oh, and crabs.  
    I was going to say being able to have sex with a stranger without a condom because you knew she was on the pill.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Seeing the Corona bottles reminds me of the most exotic thing a kid could hope for: cream soda with a lump of ice cream in. The fabled Ice Cream Float. Had to be Walls ice cream, cut from a block with the waxy cardboard wrapper and Corona cream soda to be pukka. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    Tiger nuts. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    Although the real but very rare treat was this:

https://i.imgur.com/9k2TKyY.jpg
    There was an advertising campaign that really worked!  We were desperate to try it.  The first time we actually did, I don't know if the bottle had been shaken or we'd poured too fast, but it went all over the place and we ended up with a glass of froth with about half an inch of liquid at the bottom.

I seem to remember that some years later they changed the recipe, kept the Cresta name but it was just an ordinary fizzy drink.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Philly_Q said:
    Although the real but very rare treat was this:

https://i.imgur.com/9k2TKyY.jpg
    There was an advertising campaign that really worked!  We were desperate to try it.  The first time we actually did, I don't know if the bottle had been shaken or we'd poured too fast, but it went all over the place and we ended up with a glass of froth with about half an inch of liquid at the bottom.

I seem to remember that some years later they changed the recipe, kept the Cresta name but it was just an ordinary fizzy drink.
    I don't know how reliable my memory is on this but our family holidays were nearly always a caravan in Porthmadog and one year I befriended another lad (I was about 11) and they were in a holiday apartment and they had bottles of Cresta. It was like a glimpse into another world. Cresta was sickly and fizzy I think, I probably only had a few bottles ever and yes I think they used the brand for ordinary pop later on.It's frothy man...      
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14212
    tFB Trader
    Family trip to the cinema and then a slap up meal at 'The Golden Egg'  - Recall there was a chain of them - Probably a pre version of Frankie and Benny's 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14212
    tFB Trader
    Looking at the Green Shields stamp catalogue and working out what you could get
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Did anyone have a lemonade man? Like a milkman only delivering bottles of fizzy pop? We had one for a while when I was very young.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    robgilmo said:
    Did anyone have a lemonade man? Like a milkman only delivering bottles of fizzy pop? We had one for a while when I was very young.
    Already mentioned in previous posts. ;) We had the Corona man where I lived.