cable for patch leads

What's Hot
I want to make up some patch cables. but what cable should I buy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    Is it for a pedal board ? if so I find thinner stuff better for pedal boards. I wouldn't sweat about specs as the lengths are generally too short for capacitance to be an issue.  Thinner shielded cable is often called install cable at studiospares, CPC etc and generally about 35p a metre
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010

Danny1969 said:
    Is it for a pedal board ? if so I find thinner stuff better for pedal boards. I wouldn't sweat about specs as the lengths are generally too short for capacitance to be an issue.  Thinner shielded cable is often called install cable at studiospares, CPC etc and generally about 35p a metre

I do have some 2 pair telephone cable that is shielded. I could give that a try and it wont cost me anything.

checking the specs it is 0.5mm wire that equates to 24 awg about the same as instrument cable. telephone cable is designed to try and minimise interference. Are there any reasons this wont work well?

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    @Danny1969 good call I used fat cable on mine and it just makes cable management a bit trickier. It looks like a croyden facelift under there
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    the Van Damme pro audio cable is great and not too pricey.     there is some thin twin and shield , with foil wrap , shielded stuff that is great for balanced connections.  I use that for studio gear hook up.   do you want balanced connections or just unbalanced ? 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    PeteC said:
    .   do you want balanced connections or just unbalanced ? 
    I have no idea. it is just for practice at home
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Any decent quality screened audio cable will do then.   I would recommend the van damme cable if you want them to last.  

• Van damme "instument cable" is the stuff to use. Super flexible. It has a lap screen round the outside and a black conductive plastic sleeve on top of the white centre cable. So when you make the cable up, sold the shell of the connector to the screen, trim the black sleeve off, then the white centre insulation off, leaving a slight gap.