Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Strat Acousticaster - Why ?

What's Hot

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    crunchman said:
    Andertons video:

Lee Anderton says in this one that they sold over 100 of the Tele version last year.

I like that they’ve put different models in this and given it an extra electric sound. May have been even better if they’d given it lighter strings and compensated the saddle for a plain third. So then they’d have a version geared toward the primarily acoustic player and one toward the primarily electric player.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Lewy said:
    crunchman said:
    Andertons video:

Lee Anderton says in this one that they sold over 100 of the Tele version last year.

I like that they’ve put different models in this and given it an extra electric sound. May have been even better if they’d given it lighter strings and compensated the saddle for a plain third. So then they’d have a version geared toward the primarily acoustic player and one toward the primarily electric player.

I think the wound third is the right way to go.  I had a Variax for a while, and the plain third meant the acoustic sounds just didn't sound right.  That was one of the reasons I sold it.
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    Buy a Taylor T5... Job done 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    Anchorboy said:
    Buy a Taylor T5... Job done 
    Assuming you like the sound of the expression system and don’t find them hideous....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    If I had space I'd have got a Tele one by now ....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Kramer Ferrington looks half decent
    The half without the headstock :).
    Nah it looks great. I have a magazine ad somewhere with Ed VH playing one on the beach. I remember a wash urn one too
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 905
    I remember playing a mates Kramer Ferrington in the late 90s - I remember thinking at the time it was a really playable, fun guitar  :o
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    edited January 2020

Nah it looks great. I have a magazine ad somewhere with Ed VH playing one on the beach. I remember a wash urn one too
    Those angled pointy headstocks were always hideous and stupid, even when they were the height of fashion - especially on a guitar without a locking nut, where they guarantee tuning problems and the nut can break because of the huge sideways forces on it.

Not to mention needing an extra piece of wood glued on to the neck which makes it more expensive to make and weaker. Probably the worst and most pointless headstock design ever (apart from the Gibson Explorer, which is even more fragile).

At least these new Fenders don’t have ridiculous design problems like that...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Jalapeno said:
    If I had space I'd have got a Tele one by now ....
    If I had money I'd have got one of those snazzy ziricote ones by now...

Except I have money. Despite Lewy's excellent justification for their price they're still in the region of 6 times what I'd comfortably pay for a guitar so I guess I'm just not their target market.

:) 
  • I suspect that most of the people buying these are not on guitar forums, and therefor don’t care that we think it’s a bit rubbish.

If I was a gigging musician that needed a guitar to cover both acoustic and electric, and possibly in the context where everything goes through the PA - I’m thinking specifically of function/wedding bands - I would be all over this. 

The cost would he easily justifiable for having less stuff to carry around every day, and also it could be written off as a business expense.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    For things like open mic nights, solo acts, duos and buskers etc it's a really, really good idea.  However, I don't know how many of those could justify a £1650 price tag.  When I saw it I thought it'd be around the £600 mark and at that price it would make a lot of sense, but £1650 is eye watering for what is, as I see it, quite a niche product.

When I think about what Fender have done I can't help feeling that they've created a product for a sector of the market that doesn't quite exist.  It's almost like they're trying to create a need in the market by making a product nobody actually knew they needed.  But, hey guess what, Fender have our backs!

But, maybe I'm wrong.  Fender must have done their market research and maybe they'll fly out of music shops.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Haych said:

But, maybe I'm wrong.  Fender must have done their market research and maybe they'll fly out of music shops.
    Lee Anderton said in the Andertons video on these that they sold over 100 of the Tele version last year.  That's just one shop - a big one admittedly - but they must have shifted thousands worldwide.

• stickersticker Frets: 869
    If I was still playing in my old function band I’d be all over one of these , seems like a great combo of acoustic/electric sounds and it would pay for itself after 5 wedding gigs.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    crunchman said:
    Haych said:

Lee Anderton said in the Andertons video on these that they sold over 100 of the Tele version last year.  That's just one shop - a big one admittedly - but they must have shifted thousands worldwide.

Compared to how many proper Telecasters?  I don't doubt they'll sell but I still see it as a niche product compared to the mainstream products that are aimed at guitarists and musicians. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    edited January 2020
    Haych said:
    For things like open mic nights, solo acts, duos and buskers etc it's a really, really good idea.  However, I don't know how many of those could justify a £1650 price tag.  When I saw it I thought it'd be around the £600 mark and at that price it would make a lot of sense, but £1650 is eye watering for what is, as I see it, quite a niche product.

When I think about what Fender have done I can't help feeling that they've created a product for a sector of the market that doesn't quite exist.  It's almost like they're trying to create a need in the market by making a product nobody actually knew they needed.  But, hey guess what, Fender have our backs!

The thing is, I should be exactly the target market for this - a lot of the stuff I've done exists in that somewhere-between-acoustic-and-electric region, and I've owned and used many varieties of guitar which do it, from electro-acoustics with added magnetic pickups to electric guitars with piezo pickups, to actually DI'ing a semi-acoustic electric...

But I'm not, because I don't want onboard modelling - if I want that I'll do it with an external unit - I think it looks extremely ugly, and the price is daft... maybe £1650 for the *top* of the range would be about right, but that's for the *bottom*.

I also found out that it's not actually exactly the same size as a Tele or a Strat - it's slightly larger. This is something that pissed me off about my HMT Tele as well, because it wouldn't fit in a standard Tele hard case - although these days I would probably want a Mono-type gig bag anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    The Tele looked ok. This looks awful. No point. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Fender just can’t win, folk ask “wheres the innovation in guitar design, manufacturers keep churning out the same old traditional designs”. Fender do something a bit different and the world and his dog hates it....you don’t have to like it or buy it...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
    Haych said:

It's almost like they're trying to create a need in the market by making a product nobody actually knew they needed.  
    “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” - Henry Ford
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Not sure why the hate working club and cover bands can always use this sort of versatility. I like the fancier wood versions a bit more as I like pretty wood  but not the up charge. The Strat variant seem like a good idea and they are certainly selling.