Making a very cheap amp sound half decent?

What's Hot
NeilNeil Frets: 3620
When I'm in the US I have a Squier Strat and a little Roktek amp to use. It's not great stuff but OK for a month at a time.

Question is, although the little amp doesn't sound too bad clean, it's "overdrive" sound is awful.

I don't want to invest much and was thinking, would a Joyo American Sound in front give me some more and better sounds?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    Probably - certainly more.

Given that to get an amp which is genuinely better, you would probably have to spend more than the cost of the pedal and whatever tiny amount of money you could get for the amp, it's worth a try.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12338
    I love the American sound in front of a valve amp for tweed and silver face sounds and lowish gain. If you are after higher gain then there may be something better. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10332
    tFB Trader
    Neil said:
    When I'm in the US I have a Squier Strat and a little Roktek amp to use. It's not great stuff but OK for a month at a time.

Question is, although the little amp doesn't sound too bad clean, it's "overdrive" sound is awful.

I don't want to invest much and was thinking, would a Joyo American Sound in front give me some more and better sounds?
    I have a Joyo American Sound .. and I can confirm it's a right little miracle worker. Of course it can't compensate for a cheaper speaker in a cheaply made enclosure, but it will help a lot.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    No, the American Sound only works in europe.

it’S to do with with different air pressure / meteorological conditions over there and here.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think that the major problem with cheap practice amplifiers is the small speaker. Although a good overdrive pedal will undoubtably be an improvement on the built in effect you will still have the limitations of a tiny speaker. The pedal is worth a try as it will always be useful even with any better amp you might get in the future.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    sev112 said:

it’S to do with with different air pressure / meteorological conditions over there and here.
    It's the mains frequency - 50Hz in Europe, 60Hz in the US. The American Sound speeds up 50Hz to 60, so if you use one in the US you'll end up with 72Hz and sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1258
    munckee said:
    I love the American sound in front of a valve amp for tweed and silver face sounds and lowish gain. If you are after higher gain then there may be something better. 
    Like for instance putting own, also ridiculously cheap Joyo’s Vintage Overdrive Tube Screamer-a-like into the front of the American Sound, which works insanely well for such a cheap combination...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • There's a cheap Kustom Amp (KG112) that's 20 watts and has a 12 inch speaker. Get that and a cheap overdrive/distortion pedal. Much better. Trying to improve the sound coming out of a terrible, tiny amp is a waste of time. 
    There's a cheap Kustom Amp (KG112) that's 20 watts and has a 12 inch speaker.
    +1

Every Kustom amp I've ever played, at any price point, has sounded far better than it should for the price.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    ICBM said:
    It's the mains frequency - 50Hz in Europe, 60Hz in the US. The American Sound speeds up 50Hz to 60, so if you use one in the US you'll end up with 72Hz and sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks.
    There was a character on the Seymour Duncan User Group forum who would actually want that. He was on the Asperger's/autism spectrum and obsessed with Alvin to a degree that most would consider unhealthy for a teenaged lad. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12306
    Good solid state amps second hand are cheap as chips the days, I recently got a Fender Deluxe 90 dsp for £42. Pretty blown away with it for the price. It sounds like a real Fender.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I have an American sound and it works very well .I use in front of my DVMark LittleJazz and it turns a clean jazz monster into a hot rock kat .cheapest way of doing what you want .Another choice is  a little Blackstar Fly 3 amp .Tiny but awesome .Used Fender Mustang 1 or 2 's are often on Gumtree  .They are good too.I have all three of these at home so can vouch for them .I use the Blackstar the most .
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Put a Tube Screamer in front of it and keep the amp on clean.

OTOH, I have an Orange Micro Terror with matching cab and it sounds great.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4979
    ICBM said:
    sev112 said:

And in America you plug into receptacles whereas over here you plug into sockets.  Makes a huge difference :)
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• NeilNeil Frets: 3620
    Thanks all for your help and recommendations.  

My son bought me the guitar and amp for use at his house so really didn't want to buy another amp and seem ungrateful.  :s

I'll be buying the Joyo unit and can bring it back and forth with me.

Thanks again. 
    What's the speaker size in the amp, and could it be upgraded? That might make a big difference while keeping it 'the same amp'.

It should be something you can change yourself, it's unlikely to need anything more than a screwdriver or possibly a small spanner.

• newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Neil said:

My son bought me the guitar and amp for use at his house so really didn't want to buy another amp and seem ungrateful.  :s

Thanks again. 
    Hoping my son is this considerate in due course! :-)
    ICBM said:
    What's the speaker size in the amp, and could it be upgraded? That might make a big difference while keeping it 'the same amp'.

It should be something you can change yourself, it's unlikely to need anything more than a screwdriver or possibly a small spanner.
    I've no idea at the moment, although I will certainly look when I go again in April. 

TBH, had it been down to me I'd have bought a cheap used Mustang amp or similar but my son thought he was doing the right thing.
    newi123 said:
    Neil said:

Thanks again. 
    Hoping my son is this considerate in due course! :-)
    I'm sure he will be!  :)
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    ICBM said:
    sev112 said:

But isn't that the AMERICAN SOUND ?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom