Americana?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 1292
    I’d say the influence of John Hiatt looms large over the world of Americana and shouldn’t be overlooked.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 9
    Me too! I think I have to leave him out of it all now!! I was going to write a huge in the style of for him but as you say, he really is out of favour with things probably set to get a lot worse. That means an extra page for Ron Sexsmith...
    Ron Sexsmith is Canadian.
    Canada is in North America
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 474
    vanlooy1 said:
    Me too! I think I have to leave him out of it all now!! I was going to write a huge in the style of for him but as you say, he really is out of favour with things probably set to get a lot worse. That means an extra page for Ron Sexsmith...
    Ron Sexsmith is Canadian.
    Canada is in North America
    Geographically yes.  But so is Mexico, please do not lump Canada and Mexico in with "America" (which is USA).  In case you're wondering, I am Canadian and like to think we have our own culture, often referred to as Canadiana.  No offense to the USA but I think you'll find that most Mexicans feel the same way and would not want their Mariachi music referred to as americana.

Turns out “you’re so beautiful when you’re sleeping” is only considered a compliment if she knows who you are.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 2528
    For me I think of people like Marc Ford as being one of those artists that is a bit of everything but all his musical styles are quintessentially American and steeped in the older traditions so I'd out his solo work in there even if a particular song is a blues or Neil Youngish piece and the next a folky bit. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • golockygolocky Frets: 1
    This is a great thread - I’ll be interested to see what folks have to say here. I usually say my musical taste as “Americana” but haven’t given any thought of how to describe it. I usually say it’s country-ish style music that captures a/the American experience but not “big-country” a la Garth Brooks. Cash/Guthrie/Dylan are the first names that come to mind for me, but I think the style of music is best described by making the distinction of what it is not - (ie, elements blues, country, folk, rock but not solely any of these styles. My current favourite young gun who I think represents Americana is Andrew Combs; he’s a fantastic singer/song-writer. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 745
    Inasmuch as there is an Americana guitar style I'd guess that it owes a lot to John Fahey.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 949
    My Americana guitarist nominees are

Jason and the Scorchers - Warner Hodges

Green on Red - Chuck Prophet

Long Ryders - Sid Griffin

Joe Ely - David Grissom

among many others. Sounds like a mammoth project.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 5737
    edited February 2
    Other Canadians who often work within the Americana musical genre;
    • Daniel Lanois
    • Kate & Anna McGarrigle
    Be seeing you.
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 248
    edited February 3
    Robert Hunter and Grateful Dead (Workingman's dead, American Beauty) - also some other SF bands to a lesser degree (Quicksilver, Charlatans etc) prob worth a mention in the context of that late 60s period, imagery etc

The Band and Levon Helm etc

Edit- OK if this is specifically about guitarists/guitar styles as opposed to albums/songs then the above may be less relevant.
  • Ah yes, this is a book for guitar players so the focus is very much on those who have shaped the genre/continue to do so. Having said that there are probably about 5000 of them so there will have to be some omissions sadly! 
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 588
    Jason Isbell and Chris Stapleton are the epitome of modern day Americana for me. I've just got back from Nashville and watched a few great acts.
  • I love those two, both perfectly encapsulate that sound in their own way. 
  • I'd add:

Gillian Welsh
    Dave Rawlings
    Norman Blake
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Good shout, I've already done Welch/Rawlings (he's great) but I'd forgotten Norman Blake. There are loads of those bluegrass guys who qualify but space only permits a few of them - I think I'll add him and Doc Watson in just to be safe!
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 334

I like some Americana mainly when electric guitars are involved

Jayhawks - personal fave
    Son Volt
    Peter Bruntnell (NZ/UK)
    Blue Mountain
    Bros. Landreth
    Chuck Prophet
    Counting Crows
    Drive-by-Truckers
    Guthrie Trapp
    Golden Smog
    Jason Isbell 
    Old 97s
    Sheryl Crow
    Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

• I would also suggest The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. With 3 Will the Circle album projects and the 50(?) year celebration album they have a great history of bringing together only and new and helping the music to push off in other directions.

BTW, this sounds like a great project. Please post details of the book when it’s available.
  • dtrdtr Frets: 794
    edited February 7
    Good to hear Welch and Rawlings are in.  Looking further back I think (the rediscovery of) Karen Dalton has been influential.  As for artists I'd like to see get a mention that haven't had one so far, MC Taylor (Hiss Golden Messenger) and Jason Molina (Songs:Ohia, Magnolia Electric Company), and pushing the boundaries a little, Califone.

That last one is a little personal - of all genres I'd usually assume Americana wouldn't have a place for performance art, wide-ranging cross cultural mashups, glitchy digital synths and found sound collages, but for me Califone can totally nail the feeling of Americana.

Huh, and Townes Van Zandt, of course.