Chapman Youtube Drama Continues...

What's Hot

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    KDH certainly hasn't been the first person to be smitten by the mighty online power of 'The Monkey Lord' and his simian army.  Just think back to the slating Henning Pauly gave to the Chapman guitars he reviewed, and his rapid deletion of the video and mealy-mouthed justification for doing so. All the signs of this being just another 'Mesa Cab Clone' moment.

Interesting comment there:

"...so WHY NOT do a serious review of Chapman guitars? I've searched your channel, and all I see are some NAMM vids, and this one."

Henning's answer:

"I would, but it seems like they are not interested in a real review, I asked numerous times."

Ouch.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    edited January 2020
    I couldn't find that ^^ comment, but I did see this one (which is similar):

I suspect that's it - they didn't/wouldn't send him one, for whatever reason.

To be fair, Henning is a straight-shooter - I believe his reasons for taking down the video (I seem to recall that he's done that before). If you watch the video, you can see that he knows what's coming in the comments...why would he take that hit for somebody else whose brand he doesn't even care about that much?

There's a massive irony there (in not sending him a guitar for review) for people who know what happened the early-ish days of Rob's channel, but other than that...I don't see anything underhanded here.

TL;DR - I get the desire to go back and find other things Rob/CG may have done wrong, but let's not take too many leaps to try to drag other YouTubers into this, eh?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2020
    I couldn't find that ^^ comment...
    rc2

Here's another comment from Henning:

rc1
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Yep, you have to believe Pauly when he says the Chapman video was misconstrued - and actually people were too harsh on Chapman given the superficial nature of his review rather than too harsh on him. 

Not that I’ve seen the original, but sometimes you just have to believe what people say. 

Doesn’t explain why they didn’t want him to review the guitars officially though. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    edited January 2020
    Doesn't Henning charge Megabucks to 'review' stuff? 

That's fine, but he wouldn't be on my list of people to pay to show off my product. He comes over as a bit of a sexist bellend' to me.

That said Chapman guitars seem like a perfect brand for his worldview so either they refused to cough up or Henning didn't like it. 

Or he disliked one thing about it and got death threats. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    I've played a few Chapmans now, and I own one, and assuming you get a good deal, they are excellent guitars.

As others have pointed out, if Chappers goes down so does the brand, which would be harsh for what is clearly a pretty dedicated and capable team.

It's really easy to over egg these things though, we know he has a lot of ego, that first response video just was misjudged, he can ultimately be forgiven that.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    Exactly. He's done nothing at all that will stop the guitars being sold.

In fact one of the biggest criticisms that comes up in the videos is that they have done well enough that Guitar Center now stocks them, which is basically him now on Easy Street. 

Whatever Riff City say, they saw an opportunity, as did Chapman. There were no charities involved (in this argument at least!) Then Chapman saw a (presumably much much much) better opportunity. Even Lewis Hamilton had to sack his dad to get to the very very top. 

Reminds me of the people on TGP vowing never to buy another Catalinbread pedal after Howard the main designer left under acrimonious circumstances... Kept going on about how a boycott from the largest guitar forum online would destroy them, when in actual fact the entire membership of TGP would make up less than 0.1% of their global audience, let alone the people not in the boycott. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
     Methinks Chappers needs some proper media training here ..

Though there  needs to be some freakin [perspective too ...  at least he's not associated with Epstein n HRH etc 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    JMP220478 said:
     Methinks Chappers needs some proper media training here ..

Though there  needs to be some freakin [perspective too ...  at least he's not associated with Epstein n HRH etc 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    soma1975 said:
    Even Lewis Hamilton had to sack his dad to get to the very very top.
    It's come to something if you have to go to such lengths just to get started out as a bedroom dealer.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    New range out any day now at Riff City

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Page 10 reached! Chappers Challenge #10 achieved!
  • Philtre said:
    Page 10 reached! Chappers Challenge #10 achieved!
    Does this unlock a new end of level boss? 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    he must be proud as punch 10 pages of free chappers chit chat
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 491
    What did riff city say that was so bad? I saw their note and it just said chapman had to move on and it was just business. That the one?
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    KDH certainly hasn't been the first person to be smitten by the mighty online power of 'The Monkey Lord' and his simian army.  Just think back to the slating Henning Pauly gave to the Chapman guitars he reviewed, and his rapid deletion of the video and mealy-mouthed justification for doing so. All the signs of this being just another 'Mesa Cab Clone' moment.

He shounds a bit hoarsh. 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited January 2020
    It's turning into a cult  
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Fifty9 said:
    What did riff city say that was so bad? I saw their note and it just said chapman had to move on and it was just business. That the one?
    They did say that, and then in the David Brent-esque "apology" video, Chapman said that he was such a nice guy he never even charged them for flying him to the US, painting his name on the side of a tour bus and driving him across the country to promote his guitars.

After that they had a little more to say:

https://riffcityguitar.com/rob-chapman-exposed-our-side-article-sp-mp/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2173
    10 pages! For a guy who i assume had no mates at school and spent his teens in his bedroom "shredding" to become a 3rd rate guitarist, he's pretty popular now. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Freebird said:
    It's turning into a cult  
    Yo' auto-correct spell checker function appears to be defective.
    Be seeing you.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.