Advice needed on Martin D28/HD28 standard or reimagined. Pics as requested.

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 914
edited January 2020 in Acoustics
Have really got into playing acoustic again after buying an Eastman E1SS ltd edition, and tempted to downsize my electric collection to fund a Martin. Any owners out there able to offer advice with having experience of one of these guitars. Many thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    edited January 2020

The new Martins all seem to be 1 3/4" nut width, rather than the 1 11/16" that your Eastman has.  I've got an older Martin HD28V in 1 11/16" (which I'm half tempted to sell).  Make sure you are comfortable with the nut width before getting one.

I think the newer Martins do have the "forward shifted" bracing that you used to only get on the higher end vintage series guitars, so they should sound good.

Whether a Martin will sound significantly better than the Eastman I don't know.  I've got a Stonebridge branded Furch OM that I prefer to the expensive Martin Clapton Signature OOO that I had before it.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    crunchman said:

The new Martins all seem to be 1 3/4" nut width, rather than the 1 11/16" that your Eastman has.  I've got an older Martin HD28V in 1 11/16" (which I'm half tempted to sell).  Make sure you are comfortable with the nut width before getting one.

I think the newer Martins do have the "forward shifted" bracing that you used to only get on the higher end vintage series guitars, so they should sound good.

Whether a Martin will sound significantly better than the Eastman I don't know.  I've got a Stonebridge branded Furch OM that I prefer to the expensive Martin Clapton Signature OOO that I had before it.

Whats the advantage of forward shifted bracing?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
    I went and played a load of Martins last year before my big purchase. I really liked the Reimagined D28

As for nut widths and neck profiles, you have to get it in your hand - width, string spacing, neck shape - it all adds up to a whole.

Same goes for bracing - for all the "forward shifted is better and like the old ones" I ended up with a rearward shifted one of all things. 

Try and get somewhere they have lots to choose from - make a day of it. :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    markj said:
    crunchman said:

Whats the advantage of forward shifted bracing?

It's a lot more responsive.   It's basically pre-war style.  Sometime in the 1940s, Martin moved the bracing an inch or so, and beefed it up.  I think this was because people were putting heavy strings on the guitars to try to get enough volume acoustically to play with other instruments, and the tops were bellying up.

From the 1940s until recently, the standard series Martins had the beefed up bracing.  I think the D18 went back to forward shifted bracing around 2012, and the D28 a bit later.  You would need to check the individual model specs to be certain.

A 15 year old D28 without the forward shifted bracing will probably sound nice if you are willing to put 13 gauge strings on it, but if you don't want to shred your fingers, then the forwards shifted guitars will sound a lot better.  The tops are a lot more responsive, and will work much better with lighter strings.  They also seem to be more dynamic and responsive if you aren't strumming full on all the time.

When I bought my HD28V, I actually played some early 70s Martin D28s that were a similar price.  The new guitar knocked spots off of them tonally.  That's not just the bracing.  Martin changed the bridge plate material around 1968, and it stayed that way until around 1988.  That is not regarded as a good era for Martin.

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Hang on a minute. The HD28 has scalloped bracing vs D28 standard. The HD28vs has scalloped forward shifted. 

The HD28 is way louder than the D. Sounds like D28 through an amp

You can get rear shifted scalloped by ordering a D28 1941 authentic 

open to corrections here

Bloody mine field 
  • @markj it might help the thread if you give us a idea what styles you play and why you are focussing on dreadnoughts.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    edited January 2020
    I have an HD28. Bought used in Dubai and no way to compare with a D28 but what I can say is it’s the sound in my head when I think of a Martin dreadnought. Very loud and supposed quite bassy but I don’t find it overpowering, and literally everyone who plays it comments on how good it is. 

Best bet if you’re in the UK is to not worry too much about model names and feature specs but just go to a decent shop and try a bunch. Buy your favourite. If it’s not obvious which is your favourite, try amother shop.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited January 2020

I had a 2015 (pre-reimagined) D28 and now have a 2018 HD28 (reimagined)

The new HD28 has forward shifted and scalloped bracing with aging toner on the top, cream coloured (rather than white) binding and 1 3/4" nut width with Modified Low Oval neck profile. The 2015 D28 had the 1 11/16th nut width and a different fuller neck profile. (can't remember what it was called)

My HD28 is now just over a year old, the matte finish on the neck has worn to a silky gloss and it sounds better than it did when I got it. The scalloped bracing gives more low end thump and volume that the D28 had with it's non scalloped bracing.

The forward shiting is interesting, it makes the guitar livelier and adds a sparkle to the top end of the tone, which can sound a bit too zingy with some strings when they are new. You don't need to dig in so hard to get volume compared to playing the older D28. I use the .013 Martin Lifespan strings and they are perfect for me delivering that woody bluegrass mid-range from the wound strings but retaining enough zing for the high strings.

I can't see any reason to move the new HD28 on and it is sounding better wth age. The top looks better as well after a year as even with the aging toner the grain is now darkering in places so variations in the wood pattern are coming through nicely (it was a bit of a plain looking yellowy wash when I got it but ambient UV is working it's magic.

I did prefer the 1 11/16th nut width and neck profile of the older D28 though but have adjusted.

Chris Martin (not Coldplay!) says that when you get a new Martin guitar that day 1 is the worst it will sound and it will only get better with age. I can vouch for that as both the D's I've owned sounded noticable better after 1 year of hanging on the wall and playing.

As said above, If I was buying, I would go to Peach guitars, get a coffee and play as many as I could and let my ears decide on which particular flavour and model to take home. 

@markj it might help the thread if you give us a idea what styles you play and why you are focussing on dreadnoughts.
    I play a mixture of fingerpicking and strumming. The appeal of a dreadnought is the volume and rich bottom end.
    Just returned from sound affects music in Ormskirk. I tried a standard D28 that I really liked and a re imagined M36. Just didn’t like the neck on the re imagined model, I take it this will be the same on all the re imagined range ?  Came home and played my Eastman that sounds superb. Not sure if it’s worth the expense of upgrading to a Martin for that little bit extra.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    It's all in the hands and ears.
    As others have said, you need to play the example you have in mind beside others. It's a great way to pass an afternoon in a decent shop. You might well be right in that the Eastman gets you 97% of the way there and the other 3% might be 2/6rds headstock logo value, until you play 'the one'.
  • markj said:
    @markj it might help the thread if you give us a idea what styles you play and why you are focussing on dreadnoughts.
    I play a mixture of fingerpicking and strumming. The appeal of a dreadnought is the volume and rich bottom end.
    If you play mostly with fingers the old D28 may not be your taste in which case I'd be looking at the HD28 reimagined as it has got scalloped bracing and won't need as much effort to move the top. The old style one is good if you play it a lot and dig in and suits bluegrass with the slimmer nut width. The neck is probably a little bit beefier on the old style models too. If you are in Ormskirk then have a ride over to Frailers in Runcorn as they usually have a few Martin Dreads in store.
    Just tried a HD28 reimagined at Frailers in Runcorn absolutely loved it. Seriously thinking of trading some quality electrics for it.
    markj said:
    Just tried a HD28 reimagined at Frailers in Runcorn absolutely loved it. Seriously thinking of trading some quality electrics for it.
    Correct. If anyone needs an electric there’s always sound hole pickups and tube amps. Otherwise, no need. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18757

The forward shiting is interesting, it makes the guitar livelier and adds a sparkle to the top end of the tone, which can sound a bit too zingy with some strings when they are new.
    Hmmm, that sounds a bit too radical for me, not to say messy...
    New guitar day tomorrow. Martin HD28 reimagined from Frailers in Runcorn.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    markj said:
    You didn’t hang around! 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Well played :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    markj said:
    Good man. Pics when it arrives.

Andy79 said:
    markj said:
    You didn’t hang around! 
    Tried it on Monday. Left my 335 at Frailers as a deposit until I got the dosh together.