A Little Composition.

What's Hot
tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
edited January 2020 in Studio & Recording
Another exercise from my instructor. Gave me a backing track, told me to compose something over the top. 

The title "Jam" Is generous, nothing was improvised on the spot lol

SLO lead channel this time, straight in, plus FX added from 100% wet tracks in Reaper mixed with the dry tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/user-711995847/jam-in-d-v5/s-LztFL
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Nice track - if you don't mind some feedback - try to not make your notes all sound separate, you don't need to pick them all, slide into some, hammer others on and it will sound more fluid.
    Also, try to do some vibrato on notes you are holding, just adds some interest on longer notes.
    But overall that's a nice wee composition :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Vaiai said:
    Nice track - if you don't mind some feedback - try to not make your notes all sound separate, you don't need to pick them all, slide into some, hammer others on and it will sound more fluid.
    Also, try to do some vibrato on notes you are holding, just adds some interest on longer notes.
    But overall that's a nice wee composition :)
    Thanks!

Although, I actually was trying to do all those things lol noted for next time, try harder
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Vibrato almost always needs to be a wee bit wider or faster than you think but you will find a balance. I don't know where you have come from in terms of ability - your teacher will hear more than me (I did only listen once!) as he knows where you started :) Keep it up tho - it sounds good!
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    My technical level is not such that I can make any useful contribution, but my ears work, and that sounds good to me. I could quite happily listen to that. Nice work.
    Thanks guys :)
  • I'd have backed off the gain a bit for this one, you can still do the palm muted runs but having a bit more of a crunch tone I think would get them sitting with this track a bit better whereas right now they sound a bit aggressive. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I'd have backed off the gain a bit for this one, you can still do the palm muted runs but having a bit more of a crunch tone I think would get them sitting with this track a bit better whereas right now they sound a bit aggressive. 
    I'm thinking it was possibly a bit too trebly, on one of the earlier version I had my treble down much lower and it had sounded a lot smoother, because it does sound a bit buzzsaw on some of the sustained notes, whereas the gain was at the same level.

That's like 5 on the OD channel pre-amp
  • To me it was more the palm muted runs
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    To me it was more the palm muted runs

Thunky?
    edited April 2020
    So I re-recorded the OP, taking into account the comments, and with video which is always more interesting.

More vibrato, less gain, bit more crunchy and I hopefully less thunky/muted.

• SnapSnap Frets: 6263
    nice. I likes the tone as well. thumbs up from me.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    Sounds cool to me bud....the vibrato type seems a little fast for that style of playing to me anyway...I would try and make it a slower vibrato ?

Keep going...lots of scope in those backing chords to expand...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    Cheers folks :+1: