Neo speaker recommendations

What's Hot
Hi all,

I am about to move out of my flat and into my own home...which has a detached garage. This naturally lead to thoughts of slightly expanding my rig, since I have the space to do so and am far away enough from the partner that I can turn it up a bit.
So I'm giving some consideration to a 2x12. I would like it to be neodim speakers for ease of transport, and vertical if possible.
I play mostly country and  blues, and currently use a 1x12 celestian Gold powered by a blackface style Dr. Z amp. I won't be playing at insane volvumes, I've just always heard that a good 2x12 really enhances the playing experience lol.
Speaker/cab recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
The other alternative I've been kicking around is selling the dr. Z and moving to a Fender Tonemaster deluxe...which is a 2x12 with neos already. That is tempting me too.

Thanks

Matt
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    I've replaced all the speakers in my two 2x12 cabs and a 1x12 combo with Celestion Neo Creambacks. Really pleased with the way they sound and they're much kinder to my ageing back!
  • drwiddly said:
    I've replaced all the speakers in my two 2x12 cabs and a 1x12 combo with Celestion Neo Creambacks. Really pleased with the way they sound and they're much kinder to my ageing back!
    how to they sound in terms of punch and tone compared to a regular creamback 65/75?
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    For an 'American type' sound, Jensen Tornado - I've only tried the 100W version so far, but there are a couple of lower-powered ones now.

For a 'British type' sound, Celestion Creamback Neo.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31555
    drwiddly said:
    how to they sound in terms of punch and tone compared to a regular creamback 65/75?
    I've been using Neo Creambacks for a couple of years now in preference to my usual Classic Lead 80/G12-T75 combination and I like them a lot. 

I've never (knowingly) tried a regular Creamback so can't help there, all I would say is that they sound like a Celestion, very familiar and with no odd spikes or dips anywhere. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    ICBM said:
    For an 'American type' sound, Jensen Tornado - I've only tried the 100W version so far, but there are a couple of lower-powered ones now.

For a 'British type' sound, Celestion Creamback Neo.
    I’ve got the 100w Tornado in a old 50w Musicman combo. It sounds very good and makes the whole amp unbelievably light for a valve-powered one.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    drwiddly said:
    I've never owned a cab with standard Creambacks in so don't really have a reference point. I swapped out a CL80 and WGS Retro 30 combo in the 2x12's and a CL80 in the combo. I was prepared for a slight dip in quality for the weight saving but I didn't feel that I lost anything. The sound was different but smooth and punchy and I was really impressed.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    edited January 2020
    I use 2 neo creambacks on my 2x12 zilla cab and it sounds great. Funny enough I’ve been thinking of going back to a 1x12 combo for portability reasons and was thinking of selling if you’re interested ?

Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • I used Celestion Vintage Century's in a 4x12 for years. Loved 'em.

Bye!

• CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    I’ve mostly just used Neo Creambacks for the last couple of years and think they are great. No tone compromise.
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 833
    edited January 2020
    I have 3 2x12’s one with Neo creambacks, another with m65 creambacks and the third with 75 creambacks. I think it really depends on the amp and what your ears like. Neos are great with the EVH and I like them because the cab is light. I don’t like them with my other amps. I prefer the m65’s over the 75’s and the neos but my old lugs are pretty shot to pieces! 75’s are more toppy, neos are more middy 65’s are more round which I prefer. My opinion only of course! 75’s are currently for sale
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    I have 3 2x12’s one with Neo creambacks, another with m65 creambacks and the third with 75 creambacks. I think it really depends on the amp and what your ears like. Neos are great with the EVH and I like them because the cab is light. I don’t like them with my other amps. I prefer the m65’s over the 75’s and the neos but my old lugs are pretty shot to pieces! 75’s are more toppy, neos are more middy 65’s are more round which I prefer. My opinion only of course! 75’s are currently for sale
    It might be worth swapping them round before you do - I thought the H75 sounded great paired with a M65 in a 2x12", or a V30 for a gritter/edgier tone. I didn't have two to try together so I don't know what a pair sounds like.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• It might be worth swapping them round before you do - I thought the H75 sounded great paired with a M65 in a 2x12", or a V30 for a gritter/edgier tone. I didn't have two to try together so I don't know what a pair sounds like.
    Actually I may do that tomorrow just to see!