A Q re fitting LP Jr necks

What's Hot
A while back, I prepped a really nice piece of Korina, intending it to be a LP Jr style guitar.

For one reason (or another) the neck that I'd prepped the body for wouldn't have worked as I wanted it to, so I needed a plan B.

I've got two options for plan B.

The first is this neck;

That's fitted to the correct position, but there'd be a long heel.  OK, I could re-shape that.

The second is this neck;

I'm holding that one at the correct position because I'd need to lengthen the neck cavity by 20mm for it to fit in the correct position.  I'd then also need to do a bit of re-shaping on the body/neck join because the heel on this one would be inside the current back of the body.    I'd just need to cut straight across from the innermost part of the existing cutaways, rather than - as it is now - allowing each cutaway to curve back outwards as it approaches the neck.

I'd rather not balls up the body, or either neck, and have been thinking pros & cons of each option through the afternoon. 

My preference is #2 rather than #1, but  what are the views of the wise people here?

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
    Noob mistake.
     :grimace: 
    :blush: 

(Except I should really know better).

I didn't use a LP Jr template for the body.    Hence the body shape isn't straight across between the inside of the cutaway curves, and hence the neck (#2) would fit inside the body, rather the heel protruding just beyond the body join.

I will reshape the body around the neck join, and then all should be good.

D'oh.
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Is that a solid rosewood neck ?   I had one on a PRS Custom that I absolutely loved (the neck that is) and regret not having a guitar with a rosewood neck now.  Would love to try build one in the future, or with a similar wood. 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
    PeteC said:
    Is that a solid rosewood neck ?   I had one on a PRS Custom that I absolutely loved (the neck that is) and regret not having a guitar with a rosewood neck now.  Would love to try build one in the future, or with a similar wood. 

Hi @PeteC - it is.

I like solid RW necks.

First one (Braz) was on my PRS 513.  I then bought (I must have had a large amount of spare cash!) a Warmoth RW neck for a Tele build 

That wasn't cheap - but it's a great little guitar.  One pickup, but both pots and push/pull ...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That tele is wicked!
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Yes, No 2 would be my choice too.  Nice looking necks, @TTony ; :)