Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Van Halen fans look away ... :(

What's Hot

Comments

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited January 2020
    TBH,I find this more sad than funny. Showbiz is a very cruel business even when you are top of your game. You either have to be 1) creative enough to morph into different areas with your age,2) adapt your old material to suit you as you are now (very hard to do with pop/rock of any era once you're older without looking sleazy 3) Keep in shape musically and physically and be self deprecating if needs be, 4) retire with your reputation intact and 5) Do not listen to arseholes who think they can still squeeze a few quid out of you while you suffer the inevitable brickbats.
    I say this as someone who has been making a decent living off music in one way or another for quite some time and fully recognise that the older I get the harder ( pretty impossible )it is to play the part of a younger self and would rather leave it to those with more energy and not on a perpetual diet of some sort 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1568
    He looks like Jeremy Irons 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4670
    We all get old and that's fine but WTF is going on with those trousers?
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    dano said:
    He looks like Jeremy Irons 
    Bloody Hell, He is stiff but not as cardboard as that  =)
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    I think option 4 is the one that most people should take but don't for whatever reason.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Dopesick said:
    If I found out Bobby Davro became their lead singer, I'd be an unhappy VH fan too.

Bobby Davro could probably sing better than that though.
  • artiebear said:
    TBH,I find this more sad than funny. Showbiz is a very cruel business even when you are top of your game. You either have to be 1) creative enough to morph into different areas with your age,2) adapt your old material to suit you as you are now (very hard to do with pop/rock of any era once you're older without looking sleazy 3) Keep in shape musically and physically and be self deprecating if needs be, 4) retire with your reputation intact and 5) Do not listen to arseholes who think they can still squeeze a few quid out of you while you suffer the inevitable brickbats.
    I say this as someone who has been making a decent living off music in one way or another for quite some time and fully recognise that the older I get the harder ( pretty impossible )it is to play the part of a younger self and would rather leave it to those with more energy and not on a perpetual diet of some sort 
    I’m a faster pussycat fan so I don’t mind looking and sounding sleazy :))
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    1st night was bad but 2nd night was a lot better and Al Estrada kills it on both the EVH and Vai stuff - mind you he is in a VH tribute. This does sound way worse than the vid I saw...I'll find it
    edited January 2020
    crunchman said:
    Dopesick said:
    If I found out Bobby Davro became their lead singer, I'd be an unhappy VH fan too.

Bobby Davro could probably sing better than that though.
    Isn't he fronting Queen these days ? 
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    The vid I saw was the whole 2nd night but it's gone.This one is from same night I think. DLR has never been able to sing - he's a showman :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0NMCnGjslU 
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    He's never pretended to be a great singer though....granted, it's not great on that first video, but I bet the audience who went had a good time. I think the ones shot down the front are going to pick up a monitor mix that make it sound worse than it actually is in terms of overall sound. I doubt DLR gives much of a shit apart from putting on a good show as per @Vaiai 's comment. The band are great....I think 'sloppy drumming' is slightly off the mark.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    I watched DLR in Orlando in 2010 and it genuinely was one of the best gigs I've seen and his vocals were on point (he was wearing those trousers too).

Honestly it was wonderful and I didn't pay very much at all, so it was a true joy. I don't think he charges a lot for himself, so I saw it as a thank you for what he did.

I saw Jack Bruce for £25 and he couldn't play fretless bass for toffee, but again his voice was on point, despite being semi-deaf.

Depends how much you have to manage your expectations, like when someone was heckling BB King at 80 odd.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    'Like Liberace passing a kidney stone'.

Lol.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Image result for filmed in supermarionation

Only a Fool Would Say That.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    Schnozz said:
    I watched DLR in Orlando in 2010 and it genuinely was one of the best gigs I've seen and his vocals were on point (he was wearing those trousers too).
    Maybe he's stuck in them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    'Like Liberace passing a kidney stone'.
    He certainly seems to be wearing Liberace’s corsets...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1264
    The first comment on YouTube is :
    society is so cruel these days, just look everyone watching and not calling an ambulance.

I like this one better:

'I want a refund and I didn't even go to the show.'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    edited January 2020
    I think Dave Roth is (or was) an absolutely amazing singer - remember listening to his voice for the first time on VH1? And his main love, and where is voice really came alive, was for those cabaret-style 40s and 50s songs - anything with a saxophone and trumpets and his voice absolutely sparkled. He really knew how to convey a musical line, he sang perfectly in tune, he used vibrato so expressively, and he had such a huge range. His deep love of that style of music came across so strongly, I think it’s a shame he didn’t develop it further. Check out Gigolo / Ain’t got nobody. There’s no denying it, he’s a natural. 

However as he’s grown older he’s chosen to accentuate the whoops, growls and screams above his innate musical phrasing, treating his singing like an athletic sport, which is a pity because if he sang within his limits I’m certain he would still be able to convey that innate musicality. You can hear it’s still in his inner ear - it just doesn’t come out of his mouth. 

But the main issue for me is that his performances have always been all about him, and that doesn’t age well. Even back then it detracted from his art. I’d go so far as to say he was a better singer than an entertainer, because ultimately his entertainment was always hollow because it lacked integrity. And that, IMO, is why this performance is so dreadful; ok he can’t sing it either, but mainly what jars is that what was once a bit of fun - a tongue-in-cheek pastiche - has become an embarrassing display with no integrity. 

In that way he has deviated from the likes of Sinatra and others, who performed with excellence and class right to the end. Sinatra knew how to age alongside his body, so when he was old he could still entertain with perfect integrity, even though his voice couldn’t do what it used to. But he found a way of that being unnecessary. He found a way to speak without having to press too hard. You can’t imagine Dave Roth being able to do something like this at 78; he could have chosen that path but I don’t think he can now:

https://youtu.be/Hxa3GAKj0Uk

Anyway each to their own, he’s left a fantastic legacy and I love his recorded work. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    @viz. agree with that, you hear lots of ‘better’ singers try DLR songs and it just doesn’t work.  Sadly though he’s lot it 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    I think this is one of his best - His voice is very distinctive, but if you're up against Sammy Hagar, you're always going to be up against it. I like both for different reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSLf6PqzELA